Word of Warning about NCL's Solo Cruisers Discount

robin13

I booked a last minute (6 weeks before sailing) cruise on NCL Escape for $899 that was in a studio cabin that included one perk. When I booked this cabin I specifically asked my CC what would happen if the price went down as I had a feeling it would. He said that I would be able to upgrade so I thought fantastic. Well sure enough this cruise has dropped in price to $799 for a balcony that comes with two perks. I called my CC to see about upgrading and it seemed that the system wouldn't let him so he had to call a supervisor. Well it seems that since I booked with the Solo Cruisers Discount and this discount was still in effect on the cruise I can't upgrade. They did say that I could cancel the cruise and then rebook but it would be a lot more than what I originally paid.

I just wanted everyone to be aware of this policy as this was the first last minute cruise I have booked with the Solo Cruisers Discount. I will probably think twice before booking my next cruise with this discount as I always want at least a chance of upgrading.

The problem isn't specific to NCL. My own experience, one agency tried to sneak a $300 charge onto my invoice after a very clear "total price including taxes and charges" quote (which made it exactly what my local agent quoted). I've been told about instances where telephone agents instead of "I don't know", said what the customer wanted to hear, but without making a specific promise. My local agent has competitive prices and won't promise anything if he's not sure.

The prices for single occupancy of a double vary wildly, often no more than a studio, but expect nothing except what's stated in the Terms and Conditions.

I have had an outstanding experience with the NCL Solo Cruiser Discount as is apparent with my profile including about 6 sailings/year on NCL. Of course, I have probably the best PCC with whom I have a great rapport. Most of my sailings are booked within the two weeks prior to sailing. Justin calls asking if I have any plans this coming weekend. I even had one call from him about a 4 night sailing for $99. Being retired and living in Cent Fl helps a lot as well.

I am trying to get a single cabin on a NCL cruise in October out of Boston for 14 days. I was told I could pay a single price for a balcony or mini suit but it wont go on sail till the summer. I put in my vacation request just waiting for the rooms to go on sail since I am traveling alone. anything else I should do?

Is the Solo Cruiser Discount you mention something you see upon booking? I thought that was for non-studios- is it something else?

In 2014/2015 I had booked Studios on the Breakaway and then a week before I pad a little more to upgrade since the price of a Balcony dropped.

Are they now saying that since you had a studio, you were already part of a discount? Is this something new where they are trying to prevent studios from upgrading whereas years before it was easier?

I have a Studio in 4 weeks- and noticed next weeks sailing has balconies already discounted (non- sailway as well and with 2 perks)- If I find 6-7 days before my sailing the same thing- I was going to call and ask.

Only problem is my base fare was reduced $200 from the NCL credit card sign up promo- and they probably wouldn't take that into account.

I meant sale in my previous thread. No I don't have any room yet. All the studios are sold out. I heard the Dawn does not have many. So I am waiting for the rooms to go on sale. So I am not paying double for a room.

• 3 weeks later...
I am trying to get a single cabin on a NCL cruise in October out of Boston for 14 days. I was told I could pay a single price for a balcony or mini suit but it wont go on sail till the summer. I put in my vacation request just waiting for the rooms to go on sail since I am traveling alone. anything else I should do?

can you give me your pcc contact info ?

I meant sale in my previous thread. No I don't have any room yet. All the studios are sold out. I heard the Dawn does not have many. So I am waiting for the rooms to go on sale. So I am not paying double for a room.

The Dawn does not have any studios. They are only on the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway, Escape and newer ships.

I still don't have a room yet for October trip on the Dawn. I have never been on NCL. I have been on RC ships 3 times this is new for me and Holland once. I traveled solo once and doing it again in October I hope I don't have to pay 5 grand going solo. 14 days I need a balcony.

Dear Frankie Hall, I don't have a PCC I did talk to someone from NCL she said she would get back to me when the cruise I am interested in goes on sale. I have also contacted Costco they did not have and thing lower than 50 dollars per cabin. So now that it is almost June I will call Costco again and the PCC I talked to sorry I don't remember her name but I will post if you still want it next time I come on this site.

Dawn doesn't have any studios. I would not assume that prices are going to go down. They may offer a reduced single supplement, but that doesn't happen often. The best price right now for an inside is almost $1900, and while it may go down some, it is not going down 50%.

Okay thank you, should I wait a little longer to book? I already put in for my vacation and I don't have to get on a plane. I just want the best price possible. Thanks again.

Okay thank you, should I wait a little longer to book? I already put in for my vacation and I don't have to get on a plane. I just want the best price possible. Thanks again.

I would wait until shortly after the 90-day window. At 90 days final payment is due, so people who have booked a spot but end up deciding not to take the cruise will have to let the cruise line know they are backing out then. And at that point the cruise line will know how many spots they have to sell and will begin to reduce prices accordingly.

You never know for sure though! If the cruise is not selling well the line may continue to reduce prices up until the cruise date to fill those cabins. Or, they may not reduce prices at all after 90 days if the cruise has almost fully booked at that date.

Thank you so much, so 1st of August I will book hoping to get a balcony but if none are left I will settle for the best I can get. I am so excited not to have to get on a plane this cruise.

I booked a last minute (6 weeks before sailing) cruise on NCL Escape for $899 that was in a studio cabin that included one perk. When I booked this cabin I specifically asked my CC what would happen if the price went down as I had a feeling it would. He said that I would be able to upgrade so I thought fantastic. Well sure enough this cruise has dropped in price to $799 for a balcony that comes with two perks. I called my CC to see about upgrading and it seemed that the system wouldn't let him so he had to call a supervisor. Well it seems that since I booked with the Solo Cruisers Discount and this discount was still in effect on the cruise I can't upgrade. They did say that I could cancel the cruise and then rebook but it would be a lot more than what I originally paid.

I just wanted everyone to be aware of this policy as this was the first last minute cruise I have booked with the Solo Cruisers Discount. I will probably think twice before booking my next cruise with this discount as I always want at least a chance of upgrading.

this post makes no sense to me.

ncl does not do Solo Cruisers Discount on studios because studios are already solo.

reduced/no solo supplement are only on inside and above.

this post makes no sense to me.

ncl does not do Solo Cruisers Discount on studios because studios are already solo.

reduced/no solo supplement are only on inside and above.

Sorry that my post doesn't make sense to you but I was just trying to warn people that they need to be more informed about the Solo Cruisers Discount that is sometimes offered on various cruises under the "special" section. My main gripe is that my PCC gave me wrong information as he told me that I could upgrade if the price of a inside or balcony was lower than what I paid for a studio. As I said in my post he told me that since I booked my cruise with this discount code and the discount code was still active I would have to pay an additional $700 to get into the balcony cabin. I don't know how the solo cruisers discount would affect other cabins as that wasn't my concern since I booked a studio cabin.

Sorry that my post doesn't make sense to you but I was just trying to warn people that they need to be more informed about the Solo Cruisers Discount that is sometimes offered on various cruises under the "special" section.

My main gripe is that my PCC gave me wrong information as he told me that I could upgrade if the price of a inside or balcony was lower than what I paid for a studio.

As I said in my post he told me that since I booked my cruise with this discount code and the discount code was still active I would have to pay an additional $700 to get into the balcony cabin.

I don't know how the solo cruisers discount would affect other cabins as that wasn't my concern since I booked a studio cabin.

ahh.. i think i understand the confusion now.

both studio and balcony prices are listed as per person.

studios are single occupancy but balconies are charged as double occupancy, unless there's reduced/no solo supplement.

you paid $900 for the studio.

Balcony dropped to $800 PER PERSON, thus $1600 per room.

that's why you need to pay $700 more?

hi everyone..new to this....I am retired and like to cruise..but tired of paying double like on Carnival. How do I find the solo discounts on NCL...etc?... I am flexible and live in tampa. Thanks and happy cruising..

Thank you for the heads up.

I would never again b ook with that CC. ask if he recorded t he conversation, as they often do and r equest he play it for the supervisor. NCL should honor what he told you in response to your question.

Thank you for the heads up.

I would never again b ook with that CC. ask if he recorded t he conversation, as they often do and r equest he play it for the supervisor. NCL should honor what he told you in response to your question.

It's a moot point now as the cruise was back in April. I do have two more cruises booked but made sure that the Solo Cruisers Discount wasn't there. I also learned to wait about 4 weeks before booking for a "last minute" cruise as in April the prices just getting lower and lower. I thought that I had gotten a deal but if I had waited I could have gotten a balcony with two perks for $799 when I paid $899 for the studio with one perk. I still had a good time on my cruise but would have loved being in a balcony instead of the cozy studio.

Super Crazy how (we as solos), have to pay these rates. Penalized. Understand the the Corporate thought process, but in this day and age, it is discrimination.

I have a friend who has a nose piercing working in a hospital. She was told to remove the mini diamond from her nose. She refused. She was suspended, yet the Indian woman was allowed to keep her nose piercing with no questions asked. HUH?

Point? Cruise Lines better learn to accommodate solo travelers and not discriminate in this day and age of "Diversity".

JMO

hi everyone..new to this....I am retired and like to cruise..but tired of paying double like on Carnival. How do I find the solo discounts on NCL...etc?... I am flexible and live in tampa. Thanks and happy cruising..

You pack a bag on Monday and start checking the NCL.com website. Sometime between Monday and Thursday, the price of a solo cabin will drop to the double occupancy price. You jump on that price with both feet when you see it and start laughing.

Then you fill the car with gas, toss your packed suitcase in the trunk and start driving.

This has worked for the Escape (twice), Getaway and the Sun within the last 6 months.

Living in Florida is great.

You pack a bag on Monday and start checking the NCL.com website. Sometime between Monday and Thursday, the price of a solo cabin will drop to the double occupancy price. You jump on that price with both feet when you see it and start laughing.

Then you fill the car with gas, toss your packed suitcase in the trunk and start driving.

This has worked for the Escape (twice), Getaway and the Sun within the last 6 months.

Living in Florida is great.

In NJ but it has worked for me as well with NYC sailings- I had studio's booked and a few weeks ago paid $70 to move from my studio to a Balcony - ended up with an Aft and a second promo. Price drop was on the Monday before- in the past I did it 2x on the Sunday before.

i am thinking I should likely cancel my September booking and just wait until the week before

In NJ but it has worked for me as well with NYC sailings- I had studio's booked and a few weeks ago paid $70 to move from my studio to a Balcony - ended up with an Aft and a second promo. Price drop was on the Monday before- in the past I did it 2x on the Sunday before.

i am thinking I should likely cancel my September booking and just wait until the week before

Good for you as this is what I wanted to do on my cruise but because I booked it with the Solo Cruisers Discount (and the discount was still active when I tried to upgrade) NCL wouldn't let me upgrade to a balcony for cheap. I so wish that NCL still sailed out of Houston as I could drive to the port for these last minute cruises. I am very jealous of you all that live in Florida or NJ as you can jump on those last minute cruises super cheap!!