First Day

Hi Everyone,

I am on the Celebration in July sailing from Dubrovnik, a few weeks away but I am starting to get very excited! :) It's my first cruise and I have never been to any of the countries before.

I have a couple of questions about the first day. Apologies if these have been asked before.

I land at 10:00am and I was wondering, after the embarkation process, how much time I would have to explore Dubrovnik before having to get back to the ship for the safety drill. I would like to walk the walls and am a bit of a GOT fan so would also like to see the steps to St Ignatius, but was not sure if I would have the time to do both.

Also will I have access to my cabin after I have checked in to change and leave my hand luggage?

Hi Everyone,

I am on the Celebration in July sailing from Dubrovnik, a few weeks away but I am starting to get very excited! :) It's my first cruise and I have never been to any of the countries before.

I have a couple of questions about the first day. Apologies if these have been asked before.

I land at 10:00am and I was wondering, after the embarkation process, how much time I would have to explore Dubrovnik before having to get back to the ship for the safety drill. I would like to walk the walls and am a bit of a GOT fan so would also like to see the steps to St Ignatius, but was not sure if I would have the time to do both.

Also will I have access to my cabin after I have checked in to change and leave my hand luggage?

You should be on the ship for 11.30 and will be able to go to your cabin. Your bags may not arrive straight away so take swimwear or whatever you may need. You can then leave the ship and visit the sights. You will have to be back for muster drill but that will be later in the day. You will have a great holiday and will get booked on cruising:)

When we were in Dubrovnik there were taxis near the ship to take you into the city or to take you on an hours tour around the city and to the top of the cable car, then drop you off by the city walls. It takes around 90 minutes to walk the walls, take a drink as it can get very hot. It's a beautiful city.

Also being a GoT fan, you will recognise the sets straight away, but also realise that a lot was added to the green screen to the views. There are GoT excursions done by the ship and worth having a look at, these might only be available at the end of your cruise. I did a back to back 2-week cruise, so had a full day there in the middle of the cruises.

Being your first cruise, you might just want to explore the ship and your cabin instead, but your choice if you want to go exploring. The cable car is often out of action if the wind picks up, so bear this in mind if booking tickets for it.

If you are going to walk the walls make sure you have Kuna available to pay. Was last in Dubrovnik 2 years ago and Kuna was the only currency accepted for going on to the walls. Taxis to and from the ship take Euros

Thanks Broughton, I have read that you can pay by credit card for the walls, is that still the case? Not quite sure how much Kuna I will need for a short visit.

My return flight leaves mid morning so don't think I will have much time to go exploring again on the last day.

Had a quick browse and it appears that credit cards are accepted. Can't guarantee that though. Costs 150 Kuna per person for the walls.

On departure day you will probably be off the ship between 8 and 9 to get to the airport for a mid morning flight. So no chance to explore that day.

Both the cable car and the walls accept credit card. We only took around 20 pounds in kuna which we used to buy drinks and Ice creams. The taxis at the port take euros, there is a price list on the wall. If you don't have time to walk the walls, it's lovely to just wander around the city