New Drinks Menu

Riocca

Well, if supposedly nothing has changed aside from adding Newcastle, this doesn't explain why they told my husband on Quest last month Azamara no longer serves Rum Runners. He was told they had stopped carrying the ingredients for it. Per Google the recipe is:

• 1 oz pineapple juice
  • 1 oz orange juice
  • 1 oz blackberry liqueur
  • 1 oz banana liqueur
  • 1 oz light rum
  • 1 oz dark rum or aged rum
  • Splash grenadine

Bottom line: Nine pages of premature complaints and the only real change is the addition of a really good beer...on draught, no less.

Well no, not at all....... going back to my earlier question about a "Sea Breeze"...... if I was a newbie cruiser or hadn't known about this thread, I would assume on looking at that bar menu that it was a paid for cocktail. I wouldn't have thought to ask whether it could be complimentary with the cheaper spirits.

My reaction would be that this approach is slightly deceptive. I have sympathies for the bar staff who will have to try and explain this concept over and over again to passengers.

Seems to me the issue is the difference between the list on the bar and the list in the menu, which Uktog says is still there and still lists all the included cocktails (including a Sea Breeze). I’m sure newbies would catch up with the full menu list after a day or two, but it would be much clearer if they were the same.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bottom line: Nine pages of premature complaints and the only real change is the addition of a really good beer...on draught, no less.

Not at all -- if one looks only at the "drink menu" offered, without the knowledge that has been gleaned in this thread, one would believe that both drinks I've mentioned, a Cuba Libre and a Mojito, are on the "premium" or "ultimate" package.

A GUEST -- which is how we are supposed to believe we are thought of by the cruise line -- a guest shouldn't be put to asking that any drink ordered be made with the "included" spirit. And, what if that "WALLET" (which is how the cruise lines truly think of Pax), without the knowledge gained from "insider" information, ordered a drink listed as a premium WITHOUT specifying that it be made with the complementary spirits.

I hope you’re right but I remain concerned. I’ve found other outdated info on their website and find the website in general tough to work with.

The specific removal of martinis from the cocktail side and vermouth from the spirits side seems a bad sign for us martini drinkers (and not one that makes sense if still included since a martini is so popular).

In either case, I’m not looking forward to negotiating and playing games with bartenders and such on my upcoming, very costly vacation. Not my idea of fun or relaxation.

PS I’d like to repeat that I never thought the OP had made this up. I was trying to be funny.

Totally agree with you about having to play games and negotiate with bartenders for cocktails which were on a complimentary list while on a very costly vacation! Not worth it :mad:

Not at all -- if one looks only at the "drink menu" offered, without the knowledge that has been gleaned in this thread, one would believe that both drinks I've mentioned, a Cuba Libre and a Mojito, are on the "premium" or "ultimate" package.

A GUEST -- which is how we are supposed to believe we are thought of by the cruise line -- a guest shouldn't be put to asking that any drink ordered be made with the "included" spirit. And, what if that "WALLET" (which is how the cruise lines truly think of Pax), without the knowledge gained from "insider" information, ordered a drink listed as a premium WITHOUT specifying that it be made with the complementary spirits.

Exactly. There's only a small percentage of passengers on Cruise Critic. If I wanted a whiskey sour or Long Island iced tea, if I were a non-CC member I'd think I'd have to pay for it because they aren't on the included cocktail list. And even now, because triple sec isn't listed as an included spirit, I wasn't sure if I could have a Long Island iced tea made without paying for it. If I had an upcoming cruise, I'd be printing out a copy of Bonnie's post to take along with me, and the lists from the website.

Exactly. There's only a small percentage of passengers on Cruise Critic. If I wanted a whiskey sour or Long Island iced tea, if I were a non-CC member I'd think I'd have to pay for it because they aren't on the included cocktail list. And even now, because triple sec isn't listed as an included spirit, I wasn't sure if I could have one made without paying for it. If I had an upcoming cruise, I'd be printing out a copy of Bonnie's post to take along with me!

Triple Sec is on the list of included spirits. (See previous screenshot of included spirits list from the website, which Bonnie says hasn’t changed).

Cosmopolitans were chargeable but bar staff were able to use alternative ingredients so that they were free and just as nice. Hopefully they will still be able to do that.

I hope so, too! We always have at two a night!

Triple Sec is on the list of included spirits. (See previous screenshot of included spirits list from the website, which Bonnie says hasn’t changed).

I know it is now thanks to Bonnie, but that wasn't clear from the new menu, as they'd taken Long Island iced teas off the cocktail list. My point is that I consider myself a fairly informed cruiser thanks to CC, and if I'm confused, what does that mean for the vast majority of cruisers that are not on CC? How would they know to ask for a cocktail made from included spirits, or even know what additional spirits are included outside the menu? My parents, for example, probably wouldn't think to search the website for a list of included alcohol.

I have been reading cruise critic for a few years but only just decided it was time to register. Have been following this particular topic with interest as I will be on Quest on Monday. I will be not best pleased if I cannot get a Martini on the complimentary menu. I will report back. Also have to say that Newcastle Brown draught is an odd choice for a cruise ship draught beer.

To cruisers like us who care little about the cocktail menu, this whole discussion is a useful reminder that others on board have very different priorities indeed. I just have paid little attention to what others order from the various bars.

The discussion may also reinforce to Azamara, if such a reminder was needed, that to some the complementary menu of drinks matters a great deal.

Therefore, I think it has been an educational discussion even for those of us rather on the outside of this issue.

Seems to me the issue is the difference between the list on the bar and the list in the menu, which Uktog says is still there and still lists all the included cocktails (including a Sea Breeze). I’m sure newbies would catch up with the full menu list after a day or two, but it would be much clearer if they were the same.

Well, I think this is about as clear as mud.

Do most guests carry a list of included cocktails?

Or do they look at the menus in the bars to check what is available and included?

Thank you for saying that. John, please keep posting and ignore the rude comments. More's the point mostly from people I have not seen here much before.

Phil

Totally agree, keep posting!

Vicki

Or do they look at the menus in the bars to check what is available and included?

On our last Celebrity Cruise, the drink menus were also confusing as to what was included and what was not at certain package levels. So we went to the customer relations desk and asked for a print out of included alcohol for our package. And yes, we carried it around with us as we like to taste different liquors, liqueurs and cocktails. (I point this out since Celebrity & Azamara are owned by the same company).

I will be referring to screenshots on my phone next week and intend to work my way through the complimentary cocktails :)

Unless I'm still not understanding correctly.......If nothing at all has been changed on the complimentary menu, as Bonnie says, I think the easiest fix is to change the included drinks menu back to the original, the one on the website with 30 drinks, and not the newest one added by the OP with only 18 of the original included drinks.

On our last Celebrity Cruise, the drink menus were also confusing as to what was included and what was not at certain package levels. So we went to the customer relations desk and asked for a print out of included alcohol for our package. And yes, we carried it around with us as we like to taste different liquors, liqueurs and cocktails. (I point this out since Celebrity & Azamara are owned by the same company).

I found Celebrity package easy to understand & use. When I have had the Classic package included as a booking perk I could have any cocktail, beer or wine priced at $9 or less. Walked to the bar and told the bartender I had the Classic package and I would like a Cosmo, or glass of Merlot, margarita, etc he would get me my drink and swipe my card-no charge, no need for a list. It something I ordered could only be made with liquor above my package limit the bartenders would tell me before making the drink & tell me what the additional charge would be. Often they would suggest a similar drink within the limit of my package.

Finally a realistic comment.

I agree with Marinaro

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Unless I'm still not understanding correctly.......If nothing at all has been changed on the complimentary menu, as Bonnie says, I think the easiest fix is to change the included drinks menu back to the original, the one on the website with 30 drinks, and not the newest one added by the OP with only 18 of the original included drinks.

Exactly. I do not think that we shall be carrying our drinks list.

Ivi

In my opinion, that’s because it’s not understandable and is devoid of logic which suggests that this info is wrong.

To be advised to bargain, debate, and challenge the bartenders to get the complimentary martini, that was promised to me when they took my money, is positively ridiculous.

I don’t think that the new complimentary menu is incorrect. It makes no sense that azamara rewrote that menu, reprinted that menu, and distributed it throughout the ship because it didn’t change.

I feel that we have to accept Bonnie’s assurance that the only change to the included drinks is a change of beer. She said it was an official statement, so I would presume it’s accurate. I shall certainly check this out on the Quest in July.

I agree. I have to say I’m confused, but will see what is what in a couple of weeks on Quest.

Phil

I agree. I have to say I’m confused, but will see what is what in a couple of weeks on Quest.

Phil

Please inform us when you return. I hope you don't have any issues. I have a two-week scheduled in the fall that I haven't made final payment on yet. I'm going for some stress-free, quiet, relaxation after a troublesome past year and I certainly don't want to spend two weeks trying to find out what I can order that's included, or having to tell a bartender "well, that's what Bonnie said back in May."