Newcastle embarkation

We are sailing from Newcastle - Port of Tyne in July. We can embark from 1230 with the ship sailing at 1600hrs. Just out of interest is there an initial rush to get on the ship at 1230? We are staying in the premier inn the night before so are already there anyway but thinking may linger in the shopping centre if queues are long. Sorry for the "how long is a piece of string question" but really hate queuing which is one reason we are so looking forward to not flying this year. Thanks

My experience of embarking at Nerwcastle is there will be a couple of hundred people there by noon and when the boarding starts at 12.30 pretty much every seat in the terminal will have been taken. I am staying at the Premier Inn Whitley Bay and will leave about noon.

Just back from sailing on the Discovery out of Newcastle and embarkation was an absolute shambles! Massive queue of people from about 12:30 waiting to hand over our luggage before even getting in to the port terminal, I was waiting for 50 minutes in line with my luggage. Our sailing time was pushed back 4 HOURS because of the horrendous trouble boarding.

I'd say get there as early as you can.

We are sailing from Newcastle - Port of Tyne in July. We can embark from 1230 with the ship sailing at 1600hrs. Just out of interest is there an initial rush to get on the ship at 1230? We are staying in the premier inn the night before so are already there anyway but thinking may linger in the shopping centre if queues are long. Sorry for the "how long is a piece of string question" but really hate queuing which is one reason we are so looking forward to not flying this year. Thanks

Hi, we have just returned from a Baltic states cruise on the Discovery sailing from Newcastle. We arrived at North Shields at 1:40 and were in a long que for about an hour before our luggage was taken and then had to sit in the port waiting lounge for a further half hour. This was the first time the Discovery used the port and it was very chaotic. So, good luck........

It doesn’t sound good.

We are going on our first Marella cruise and travelling by coach.

Have I understood this correctly? We will get off the coach and collect our luggage.

Then we will be given our boarding details and luggage labels.

We have to stand somewhere and attach the labels before joining a queue to hand luggage in.

Then queue again to have boarding details checked etc.

We have waited before in Southampton with other cruise lines but not had to bother re luggage when on a coach.

At least we will know that we will board eventually. :)

It doesn’t sound good.

We are going on our first Marella cruise and travelling by coach.

Have I understood this correctly? We will get off the coach and collect our luggage.

Then we will be given our boarding details and luggage labels.

We have to stand somewhere and attach the labels before joining a queue to hand luggage in.

Then queue again to have boarding details checked etc.

We have waited before in Southampton with other cruise lines but not had to bother re luggage when on a coach.

At least we will know that we will board eventually. :)

Yes that is right, it was a shambles, the coach driver couldn't believe it we were parked up going nowhere for about twenty mins, then. He was told to drive around car park, then told to go to another part of the car park, then coaches were off loaded, then we were given luggage labels, had to find cases, put labels on. Cases were then moved to a place just yards away, we the. Had a walk to a port bus, we had to board the bus, were taken back to where coach had been and go inside terminal building, we were given health questionnaire and given a ticket number, once form done, we had to sit and wait for number to be called, some people were standing as no seats left we finally boarded around 4.30 luggage didn't get on ship till around 7pm ship sailed late as luggage still on quayside. Captain apologised and said it would need to be addressed for this weeks embarkation, disembarking was slow too.

It looks like the system they use with fly cruises when the luggage is not bonded. for example you arrive at the destination airport. The ask your name and give you the luggage labels. You attach these to the cases and take them to the coach or collection point. then you proceed to check in. NCL used the same procedure at Barcelona so Marella are not unique.

Just got back yesterday from a week onboard, embarkation wasn't too bad, you drop you're luggage off at the red brick building, then either walk or take the shuttle bus to the terminal, when in the terminal they give you a ticket and call people in no's of 25

We got there around 11:30 and had number 179 the terminal was full and they were calling no's 100- 125, we waited about 10 minutes and they called for premier passengers before 126 onwards, we checked i then as booked in a grand suite (got it at a better price than the jr suites) after that it was a short walk and wait for another shuttle bus to the ship.

After that another short walk to the ship, we were in our cabins for around 12.30

We sailed at 18:00

Debark wasn't on the scheduled times as they were having luggage (scanner) issues so another wait after the shuttle back to the terminal, as the cases were delayed getting off the ship

Thanks for the info mtt very useful. What time were you due to sail? We should be 1600 hours, not that it matters really. What time did you have to vacate your cabin and what time did you disembark? Was the MDR open the final morning ?

Thanks for the info mtt very useful. What time were you due to sail? We should be 1600 hours, not that it matters really.

I think all departures are stated as 4pm. On Sunday last the Discovery didn't leave the dock until after 7pm, we saw her leave the mouth of the Tyne at around 7.45pm. It seems there were some issues around getting luggage on board (again) which accounted for the delay.

The ship was berthed pointing towards Newcastle which meant it had to do a 360 before leaving which also takes time.