Premier Inn Dover?

Thinking of coming to Dover the night before joining a cruise. There is a Premier Inn located at Jubilee Way, Guston Wood, Dover CT15 5FD.

This looks like it is fairly close to the docks, and within reasonable distance of the train station.

Any thoughts on this?

I can’t see any problems with your plan. It would be a short taxi ride from the station and to the docks. Premier Inns rely on a good standard of cleanliness, facilities, good value for money and you know what you are going to get. They have their ‘good night guarantee’ which is a no quibble money back offer if you are dissatisfied. We often use Premier Inns on our travels - in fact, I’m writing this from a lovely new PI in the Cotswolds!

I agree with Omega 1,

Premier Inn are good chain of lodges. They are owned by Whitbread plc. a large UK brewery and consequently are sited next to decent pub restaurants. Your selection is known as Dover East, Jubilee Way, Dover CT15 5FD situated on the A2 close to the town. The pub restaurant is a "Brewers Fayre" brand called the Duke of York

There is a slightly nearer to the town Premier Inn called Dover Central (East Ferry Terminal) Marine Court, Marine Parade Dover CT16 5FD on A20. Their pub restaurant is a "Table Table" brand called Marine Court Table Table.

There is a third Premier Inn further out of town called Premier Inn Dover A20, Folkestone Road Dover CT15 7AB. The pub restaurant they have is a "Beefeater" brand called The Plough Dover.

You can google the restaurant brand types for menu etc. and get a good idea what you can expect.

I am sailing from Dover this year and have booked the Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel and Spa. It is on the sea front near the terminal. A four star hotel, so it's more expensive but I am not sure how much the difference is.

Any of the aforementioned places will work.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I have stayed at the Premier Inn Ferry Terminal, Dover 2x. There is a restaurant and bar in the hotel. The town is walking distance from the hotel. I took the breakfast and dinner Meal Deal. You walk through their parking lot and you are at the water front. I took a taxi for the short ride to the dock.

If you plan on visiting Dover Castle, I would suggest taking a taxi both ways.

Thanks for the detailed responses and the information on the other options in Dover. Being right on the sea front would be nice. Are any of the hotels within rolling luggage-hauling distance of the pier where Princess typically docks, or will I need a taxi from any hotel?

I think a taxi would be needed from most hotels.

The taxi from Premier Inn Ferry Terminal was less that 10GBP a short distance. The hotel called a taxi for us. We could see our Princess ship from the hotel/waterfront.

The first time, we used the National Express Coach www.nationalexpress.com from London Victoria Coach station to Dover Ferry Terminal (there are a couple of stops for Dover). The National Express does not have a stop for the cruise ship docks. There were Disney cruisers on board and the driver (said it was his last run for the day) asked if they wanted him to drop them off at the Disney ship, they all said yes and they gave him a good tip. I said we were staying at the Premier Inn Ferry Terminal, he said he had to pass by it and would get as close as possible. He dropped us across the street from it.

The next time, we took the National Express from LHR with a transfer at London Victoria Coach station. We got off at the Ferry Terminal stop and took a short taxi (under 10GBP) to the hotel.

The Premier Inn Ferry Terminal did not have A/C (most British hotels do not have A/C), they did provide a stand up fan in the room, the window only opened a few inches.

Premier Inn (near ferry terminal) and Best Western Are both on Marine Parade, and look across the harbour toward the cruise pier - in the morning you'll see your ship from the front of either of those hotels. Best Western is a couple of hundred yards closer, but you really need a short taxi hop from either. Even if you stay at Best Western you can dine at the pub adjacent Premier Inn.

Premier Inn & pub are excellent, as is the breakfast.

JB :)

The Premier Inn on Jubilee Way is at the top of the hill whist the Ferry Docks one is closer to town. However, the Jubilee Way one is near the White Cliffs and, if you like walking, you can get some fabulous views. There's not really anything else around there though but if it's only one night, then not a big deal. The one on the seafront is nice (as is the Best Western, which has a very good restaurant), just depends on what you want. A short taxi journey into town or the castle would be about the same (it's a long walk into town - done it before). I do like Premier Inns, such good value.

• 2 weeks later...

Prior to a cruise leaving Dover, I stayed one night at the Premier on Marine in August of 2012. It was very warm and humid and the hotel has no A/C. We slept with the window open. Tons of car and truck traffic so it was not a quiet night, made worse because there was no breeze and it never cooled off to a comfortable temperature. Lesson learned is to take expected heat level and the presence of A/C when selecting a hotel.

Prior to a cruise leaving Dover, I stayed one night at the Premier on Marine in August of 2012. It was very warm and humid and the hotel has no A/C. We slept with the window open. Tons of car and truck traffic so it was not a quiet night, made worse because there was no breeze and it never cooled off to a comfortable temperature. Lesson learned is to take expected heat level and the presence of A/C when selecting a hotel.

Hi Aggie,

You were unfortunate (or should that be fortunate?) that the weather was so warm and humid - we get few nights like that in the UK, and a minority of hotels (and no regular homes) have aircon, it's so rarely needed.

The main ferry road with lots of truck traffic is directly behind Premier Inn but it's exceptionally well- insulated so you can't hear the traffic ........

..... unless you have to have the window open. :(

We're in Texas at the moment (Galveston) on a road trip, and other than a few thunderstorms it's really hot and humid, even though Its springtime Everywhere, as you know, has aircon. And boy, it's pretty essential

We've stayed at the PI on Marine Parade, but can't remember time of year, although I think it was summertime. I had read quite a few reviews complaining about traffic noise, so asked for a room not on the main road side as I know how many lorries thunder past.

I really can't remember if we had to open the window or not.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for that feedback. Since the cruise I am considering will be in August as well, I had the same concerns about the lack of air conditioning. I know people say you rarely need it, but I spent enough time in Britain in summers, wishing we had it.

There is a brand new Travelodge in Dover, which does have air conditioning and is getting good reviews on TripAdvisor, so would probably go for that.

We're in Texas at the moment (Galveston) on a road trip, and other than a few thunderstorms it's really hot and humid, even though Its springtime Everywhere, as you know, has aircon. And boy, it's pretty essential

May along the Gulf can be nice or it can be brutal with the heat and humidity. Summer - downright oppressive with only A/C as a reprieve. I live in Dallas which is hot and humid all summer. Happy travels and stay cool :)

Thanks for that feedback. Since the cruise I am considering will be in August as well, I had the same concerns about the lack of air conditioning. I know people say you rarely need it, but I spent enough time in Britain in summers, wishing we had it.

There is a brand new Travelodge in Dover, which does have air conditioning and is getting good reviews on TripAdvisor, so would probably go for that.

Travelodge are another decent lodge brand in the UK. Their achilles heel is usually lack of a restaurant because many of their lodges linked in with Little Chef which did "The Full English" breakfast but evening meals were not up to the mark. The brand has become extinct and generally now Starbucks which is a good coffee house but do not do big breakfasts has replaced them at many Travelodges. This new Dover lodge has got a proper restaurant.

Regards John.