Fjordland Splendours

It certainly was last year, and there were a couple of discount days.

Can't remember if you were allowed to keep hold of your alcohol, I rather think it was collect it on the last full day. (We didn't buy any, only cigarettes)

It was certainly cheaper than anything you could buy in Norway!

kate

Can't remember if you were allowed to keep hold of your alcohol, I rather think it was collect it on the last full day.

We like a wee swalley in the cabin pre dinner - can anybody confirm or refute if duty free spirits are kept until last full day ?

Can't remember if you were allowed to keep hold of your alcohol, I rather think it was collect it on the last full day.

We like a wee swalley in the cabin pre dinner - can anybody confirm or refute if duty free spirits are kept until last full day ?

We've always been able to take our duty free drinks to the cabin but have never used them because we've always had AI :D

I believe it was a short term unannounced experiment to take them off people and return the last evening of the cruise that hasn't been repeated :)

Enjoy your swalley :D

We've always been able to take our duty free drinks to the cabin but have never used them because we've always had AI :D

I believe it was a short term unannounced experiment to take them off people and return the last evening of the cruise that hasn't been repeated :)

Enjoy your swalley :D

Thanks Nell.

The drinks package for this cruise is £398 per couple - I don't think so.

Fred Olsen are doing packages for £10 per day on similar cruises - big difference @ £258 cheaper.

I'm looking for advice etc. on the ports of call - Flam, Alesund, Hellesylt, Geiranger and Bergen.

The do's and dont's - especially how easy is it for DIY days ashore.

One other question - when can passengers start to board at Newcastle ?

We will be driving down during the night at silly o'clock to avoid traffic, and don't want to arrive too early and have to hang around a car park.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
extra question

Thanks Nell.

The drinks package for this cruise is £398 per couple - I don't think so.

Fred Olsen are doing packages for £10 per day on similar cruises - big difference @ £258 cheaper.

I'm looking for advice etc. on the ports of call - Flam, Alesund, Hellesylt, Geiranger and Bergen.

The do's and dont's - especially how easy is it for DIY days ashore.

One other question - when can passengers start to board at Newcastle ?

We will be driving down during the night at silly o'clock to avoid traffic, and don't want to arrive too early and have to hang around a car park.

Hello WCM :) When we travelled from Newcastle - like you setting out at an unearthly hour - we found the retail outlet which is on the road on the way into the port a useful stop-off with freeparking IIRC. We got a drink, something to eat and a little wander around the shops (under duress of course!!!:D) You can easily waste a couple of hours there if you need to.

As for boarding - we've generally found that whatever the time they tell you check-in opens on your tickets (often around 13.00?) we've been able to access the port parking an hour or so in advance of that, get the shuttle bus to the port and then they will process you if they are ready. We've often been on board having something to eat before the stated earliest check-in. Of course there's a limit to that as they have to get cabins etc prepared but that's been our experience at both Newcastle and Harwich.

As for DiY one thing to remember about little villages down the Fjords, is that there isn't the infrastructure you'd find in big cities for taxis etc as so much is geared to the cruise sips and their tours. It's also an expensive country for drinks, food and services on shore.

However., Bergen is easy to DiY. You may be able to walk into the centre or there could be a shuttle bus depending on where you berth. But once in the city, you can easily do the funicular railway to the top of Mt Floyen for fab views across the city (weather permitting!). There are also some great walks in the parkland on the top too if you fancy a stroll. I'd advise that you make for the funicular as early as possible since the queues do build up.

http://www.floibanen.com/upload/Turforslagbrosjyre_eng.pdf

http://www.floibanen.com/

The Bryggen (UNESCO wharf area) is worth exploring. It's the classic picture you see of Bergan but do go down the alleys down the side of the buildings to get a real feel of the history. The harbour is interesting too - colourful and with loads of fresh sea food on sale - there are take-away style stalls, reindeer hides, troll souvenirs, Norwegian style sweaters (v expensive though) etc. I'll never forget the huge bag of prawns my S-i-L bought and ate like a bag of chips! If you're happy to wander, Bergen is a good DiY port.

Alesund also is a decent DiY unless you want to see somethung else. It's a easy walk off as the berth is adjacent to the town. There are land trains and a HoHo which will take you round the town (it's not that big) but it will take the hard work out of getting to the top of Mt Aksla which is well worth a look for superb views.

If you have the energy you can walk through a parkland then climb the 400+ steps to the top. There is a cafe there also on the top of Mt Floyen in Bergen but they are a bit overpriced and not fantastic quality coffee. The beer might be better WCM but the price won't be!!!!! (Last I heard about £8 a pint!) Alesund was burned down in 1904(?) by a fire and rebuilt in Art Noveau style. It has colourful multi-coloured wharf buildings along the waterfornt and attractive buildings around the town. We once did a half day trip to a lighthouse (Alnes?) which was quite intresting but for a first visit, Alesund is ok for just exploring.

Hellesylt is just a tendering off point for those going on an excursion - they will do a day trip and end up in Geiranger at the end of the day. You can't really get off there unless for a trip as the ship doesn't call in on the way out of the Fjord. We love Geiranger. It has some great walks - you cna pick up a good walking map from the tourist office. One we like which isn't too long but pretty uphill(!) is to the farm at Westeras. It's walk #13 on the map I think - the trail is well marked with red paint splodges on rocks and tree trunks so you can't get lost but you'll need decent walking shoes for it as it's quite uneven ground. Alternatively you can walk up the main road zig-zagging up until you see the grass track to Westeras on your left. They have log cabins for rent but also a delightful is quite small terrace overlooking the Fjord and you ship for a rest and a drink. Magical!

There is a hoho bus also a two hour tourist bus from Geiranger which will take you higher up the valley to Mt Dalsnibba - again for spectacular views. You can book ahead. It might be worth checking out if there are any other ships in the same day as you to assess how busy it's likely to be and therefore demand on such trips.

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/BUS-TOUR-TO-MT.-DALSNIBBA

Geiranger is a pretty village but bigger than most down the Fjords; there's a museum there, a very pretty octangonal church (tiny) and some shops and faclilities. We just love being in the middle of the towering mountains and soaking it all in. I'd be tempted to do my own thing here too with perhaps the bus tour.

As for Flam this is where I'd say consider an excursion. It's a tiny place. We've walked up the valley to the stave church in Flam (the berth is a mile or two away) and there isn't a lot there although they've built a new area by the local distillery. Very nice, but again very expensive. THe classic trip here is the Flam railway - fantastic trip through wonderful countryside. You can DiY but pressure on the train can be high (again, how many ships are in with you?). You can only book ahead by buying a minimum of 10 tickets. the cruise ships prebook a lot of carriages. We had to wait until the 1pm train and just go up and back (not that there's anything much at Myrdal at the top so coming back 20 minutes after arriving is so big deal).

If you are Diying at the other ports I'd be tempted to do the big one at Flam - the train up and round trip by coach via some other beautiful places (can't remember which) back to Flam. It includes lunch and is expensive but would get you right into the mountains and with amazing scenery and would be a bit different from the other experiences.

Don't overlook that the sail in and out of the Fjord to Geiranger and Flam are excursions in their own right. Absolutely awe inspiring and last for hours and hours. We get up early and go to bed late spending as much time as possible on deck. Too wonderful to miss!

Enjoy! It's the most beautiful part of the world. ;)

Edited by kruzseeka

P.S. Just read through my previous post - hope you can follow it as it's riddled with errors. I'd like to blame the predictive text on the tablet but can't as it was done on the laptop. Don't know where my head was!

What I've really come back on to tell you though is if you decide to do the train at Flam some trips take you up the valley first then round to Voss, Stalheim and Naeroy Valley (I've looked it up now!) but sometimes they do the excursion in reverse so you come down the valley on the train from Myrdal to Flam at the end of your day rather than at the beginning. I'd say if you are going up on the train sit on the right hand side facing the way you are going. I think you get the better views on that side since the track hugs the left hand side of the valley (going up) for quite a way so it's a more open view on the right. If the train ride is down the valley obviously then sit on the left.

• 4 years later...

Kruzseeka, your reply here might be 4 years old but it’s so helpful I just wanted to thank you! The info here is perfect for my upcoming fjord cruise, & I’d only searched for the term ‘Nærøy’ but got all this other info for all our ports of call.

Thanks again! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boarding time for us at Newcastle is 12.30 so we will arrive around noon. The Flam railway can be booked direct in advance, we booked 2 tickets at 550 Nok each saving 50 pounds on the ship trip.

By doing the ship excursion in Flam you see lots more than the railway. The drive to Voss, for lunch, is very scenic - lots of waterfalls, just wonderful. You also have a short trip on the main railway line from Voss to Myrdal to join the Flam train. It was a great day.