Loyalty Match Question

Cruisermom2nick

We just received a match for our NCL loyalty membership from MSC- they made us "Classic" members. We have yet to cruise with MSC as our first one is in December this year. My question is, as we are "Silver" on NCL would this not equivocate to "Silver" on MSC? I am new to this-so thanks for your help! I am surprised they got back to me so fast (5 days!)-:)

We just received a match for our NCL loyalty membership from MSC- they made us "Classic" members. We have yet to cruise with MSC as our first one is in December this year. My question is, as we are "Silver" on NCL would this not equivocate to "Silver" on MSC? I am new to this-so thanks for your help! I am surprised they got back to me so fast (5 days!)-:)

Being Silver in one scheme doesn't necessarily make you silver in the MSC scheme, It depends on how MSC value the benefits relative to each other from the two schemes.

The only level with any decent benefits is BLACK and even so the best ones have been removed (20% discount on cruise fares) or substituted with lesser items eg prosecco for Moet & Chandon

here are the matches reported early in the matching process,

CRUISE LINES

Royal Caribbean:-

Platinum goes to MSC Silver;

Diamond and above goes to MSC Black

(By deduction I would expect Emerald to go to Gold)

Celebrity:-

Elite and above goes to MSC Black

Princess:-

Elite goes to MSC Black

Carnival:-

Platinum goes to MSC Gold

Diamond goes to MSC Black

NCL:-

Platinum goes to MSC Black

Disney:-

Platinum goes to MSC Black

Edited by Skier52

I gotcha-so Skier52 my Silver NCL status (21 days) should be Classic on MSC? :) It is very nice they do this... :)

Silver on MSC starts at 2200 points (100points / night) equivalent to 22 nights

you have 21 nights which may be what they matched, best check how many point they have given you by logging into to the club site.

You may be at the bottom of classic with 1 point ; I know they match black at the 10000 point level ( the entry level for black)

Silver on MSC starts at 2200 points (100points / night) equivalent to 22 nights

you have 21 nights which may be what they matched, best check how many point they have given you by logging into to the club site.

You may be at the bottom of classic with 1 point ; I know they match black at the 10000 point level ( the entry level for black)

OK Here is what I see when I log in- "

Points1 Points (2199 till Silver MSC Voyagers Club member card)"But I am still confused as to what this means! :confused:

OK Here is what I see when I log in- "

Points1 Points (2199 till Silver MSC Voyagers Club member card)"But I am still confused as to what this means! :confused:

You have been given one point and need to earn 2199 more to get a silver card, but in the mean time you get 5% off bookings and a few other benefits of very little value

try this link for the benefits chart

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

Edited by Skier52

Since I'm at "entry level" for Carnival and Royal, I used my Hilton Honors Gold as a match. They gave me MSC Silver level as equivalent.

Just for stat purposes, if anyone is wondering/tracking.

We got Black for a Club Carlson platinum and our friends got silver for IHG platinum. Have seen on flyer talk someone else got Gold for an IHG Spire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...

Just for information to others:-

We have been status matched to Silver on MSC from Gold on Fred Olsen's 'Oceans Club', by emailing the UK Office yesterday afternoon - so very quick response.

The UK MSC office say they can only reduce the cruise cost by 5% if you are status matched and contact them within 24 hours of when the cruise was booked.

Silver sounds a strange match as our Gold membership on Fred Olsen entitles us to priority boarding, a cocktail party, an on board gift per cruise, 5% off on board spend and 5% off excursions booked prior to the cruise, as well as 5% off cruise cost. The Gold level on Fred Olsen is the highest of the three levels and needs at least 100 nights on board (we have 177).

But hey, it is MSC's scheme and they are entitled to do whatever they want. It is nice to have some recognition, which is not done on other lines, but it would not particularly entice us to cruise with them again to retain that status. Yacht Club sounds of interest though, so we may repeat if a cruise looks right for us. Just a shame we will not be able to see the Yacht Club areas of the ship when we cruise in our Fantastica Balcony in September.

Silver sounds a strange match as our Gold membership on Fred Olsen entitles us to priority boarding, a cocktail party, an on board gift per cruise, 5% off on board spend and 5% off excursions booked prior to the cruise, as well as 5% off cruise cost. The Gold level on Fred Olsen is the highest of the three levels and needs at least 100 nights on board (we have 177).

That does sound strange, and I wish there were some more transparency from MSC. I agree with you that it is totally up to them to determine your match level, but if they would state the equivalencies somewhere, at least you could confirm that it wasn't simply a clerical error in your case. I don't know anything about Fred Olsen, but a level requiring 100 nights matching only to MSC Silver makes no sense.

That does sound strange, and I wish there were some more transparency from MSC. I agree with you that it is totally up to them to determine your match level, but if they would state the equivalencies somewhere, at least you could confirm that it wasn't simply a clerical error in your case. I don't know anything about Fred Olsen, but a level requiring 100 nights matching only to MSC Silver makes no sense.

When we first tried to match via their website and there was a list of cruise lines and we could have clicked on one. That included P&O but not Fred - presumably because Fred has older, smaller ships, so is less likely to have passengers going to MSC. I had previously been told on the phone they would accept Fred, so we emailed the details. I presume they did not have any accepted conversion level for Fred and just made a decision on a one off basis. Our alternative would have been P&O's Mediterranean level, which requires a similar level of nights on board, but they have tiers above that and the benefits are not that good, so doubt we would have done any better. Would be interested to know if anyone has been matched with P&O though.

I get the impression that MSC mainly want to encourage US citizens as they are also being given 5% of cruise price retrospectively, which appears not to be done over here.

Anyway looking forward to our cruise :)

Since I'm at "entry level" for Carnival and Royal, I used my Hilton Honors Gold as a match. They gave me MSC Silver level as equivalent.

Just for stat purposes, if anyone is wondering/tracking.

Our Hilton Honors Silver was matched with MSC Silver. Might depend on how many points you have.

Just for information to others:-

The UK MSC office say they can only reduce the cruise cost by 5% if you are status matched and contact them within 24 hours of when the cruise was booked.

That must be something they have changed then? Their web site says

"They will also a receive a 5% discount on any booking."

We did status match last year on a cruise booked at least 6 months earlier and they gave us 5% off it. We were new to cruising so only matched at "classic"

Maybe worth emailing again and asking where on their website you can read about the 24 hour rule.

There is also the "ask any 5 MSC staff the same question and you are likely to get 5 different answers" law.:rolleyes:

They sent me an email 24hrs after i emailed them with my emerald status which stated i was black but when i took a closer look the name was wrong so i contacted roxanne at msc uk offices and she confirmed there had been a mistake and when I received my new membership it was gold. Sorry [emoji30][emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Looks that way frank, i was hoping that they had just got the name wrong but as it turns out they sent me someone else's membership letter which was a bit if a bummer[emoji17] but hey can't complain still got the 5% discount applied which was 2 weeks after i booked. I wonder if the person who's membership i was sent is on cc. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...