La Spezia to Pisa by bus

rcdc48

hi Everyone

we will be on Freedom of the seas 7th of May and will be docking in La Spezia. we would like to go to Pisa by bus and heard we can get a tour bus from where the shuttle drops us off at the terminal.i know they go from Liverno but cant find the name of the company who go from La Spezia. if this cant be done, does anyone know how much a taxi for four would cost.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Denise

I'm not aware of any organized bus tours from La Spezia, it will be interesting to hear if others have and can provide us with information.

If not, you could contact a few of the car services to get a quote for transfer.

On the spot you could negotiate with a taxi driver for a set fare, it would be prohibitive and a tad frightening to go by the meter and not know what the amount would be.

Or, if you're up for it, it's quite easy to take the train from La Spezia to Pisa. The port shuttle bus drop off point is a mile and a quarter on foot from La Spezia Centrale.

From there you can take a regional train to the Pisa S. Rossore station, which is only a third of mile on foot from the tower area (Piazza dei Miracoli).

The train trip takes a little over an hour (there is an 8:21 train that arrives at 9:24) and costs only euro 7,50 each way.

A taxi ride each way (on the meter, without negotiating a fare) is a heart attack waiting to happen. If you can't find a bus tour, take the train. Frankly, I don't find the Leaning Tower all that interesting. (Though there is, of course, much more than that to see in Pisa.) Why not go to the Cinque Terre instead? Or if you've already done that, go to Lucca.

Lucca is a good idea to pair with Pisa.

You'll be in port from 7 AM to 7 PM on a Sunday (that's important when looking at train schedules).

You can easily make the 8:21 train, arriving to Pisa S. Rossore at 9:24 AM. Even if you are slow walkers that puts you at the tower area before 9:45 AM.

Giving yourself plenty of time to visit the tower (if you want to climb it book your tickets immediately) and visit the Baptistry (you may or may not be able to see the cathedral since it's a Sunday morning), you can then walk back to the S. Rossore station to take the 12:55 train to Lucca, arriving at 1:17 PM, just in time for lunch.

You have two options for return trains from Lucca to La Spezia, at 3:30 PM (arrives 4:45) or 4:30 (arrives 5:39). Either will get you back to the ship in plenty of time for a 6:30 PM all-aboard. If you take the later train you'll have time after lunch for a stroll along the walls, a good way to work off the lunch calories and get a good look at the town.

If you'd like more time in Lucca you can reverse the order, taking an 8:16 train from La Spezia and arriving to Lucca at 9:20. Next would be the 2:42 PM to Pisa (arrives 3:07), allowing you five hours in Lucca but only a little more than an hour in Pisa (factoring in time for walking back and forth to the train station, with some "pad").

From Pisa S. Rossore you can take the 4:40 train back to La Spezia, arriving at 5:39 PM.

Edited by euro cruiser

Lucca is a good idea to pair with Pisa.

You'll be in port from 7 AM to 7 PM on a Sunday (that's important when looking at train schedules).

You can easily make the 8:21 train, arriving to Pisa S. Rossore at 9:24 AM. Even if you are slow walkers that puts you at the tower area before 9:45 AM.

Giving yourself plenty of time to visit the tower (if you want to climb it book your tickets immediately) and visit the Baptistry (you may or may not be able to see the cathedral since it's a Sunday morning), you can then walk back to the S. Rossore station to take the 12:55 train to Lucca, arriving at 1:17 PM, just in time for lunch.

You have two options for return trains from Lucca to La Spezia, at 3:30 PM (arrives 4:45) or 4:30 (arrives 5:39). Either will get you back to the ship in plenty of time for a 6:30 PM all-aboard. If you take the later train you'll have time after lunch for a stroll along the walls, a good way to work off the lunch calories and get a good look at the town.

If you'd like more time in Lucca you can reverse the order, taking an 8:16 train from La Spezia and arriving to Lucca at 9:20. Next would be the 2:42 PM to Pisa (arrives 3:07), allowing you five hours in Lucca but only a little more than an hour in Pisa (factoring in time for walking back and forth to the train station, with some "pad").

From Pisa S. Rossore you can take the 4:40 train back to La Spezia, arriving at 5:39 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow that is so informative!!! Thank you son much .

So if we want to climb the tower do I need to prebook the tickets or can I just purchase when I get there?

Lucca- what is there fun to do with 4 kids ages 8-17?

Thanks ahead of time :)

Yes, you should get tickets to the tower in advance. The number of people allowed into the tower is strictly limited, they do hold back a few tickets for on-site purchase but these go fast and you might have to wait several hours for the next open slot.

The official ticket office is here: http://www.opapisa.it/en/tickets/a-few-words-of-advice-before-you-buy-your-ticket/

The tower climb is very strictly regulated. Tickets are for a specific time. You enter as a group with a guide and have only a certain amount of time to climb up, take a look around and get some pictures, and get back down. I think it was 30 minutes or so but I don't remember exactly.

Also, you will not be able to climb the tower with even a small handbag. Everything must be stowed in lockers. I didn't want to leave my handbag and valuables in a locker, so I didn't climb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, you will not be able to climb the tower with even a small handbag. Everything must be stowed in lockers. I didn't want to leave my handbag and valuables in a locker, so I didn't climb

The lockers are perfectly secure, so not sure why you wouldn't want to leave anything in a secure locker :confused: And you can take a camera, for those who were wondering.

So you can take a small camera or phone when you climb but no bags , right?

Yes, that's right. They have a building with lockers close to the tower for bags, but you can definitely take a camera/phone

"" QUOTE=Bobal;52886749]The lockers are perfectly secure, so not sure why you wouldn't want to leave anything in a secure locker :confused: And you can take a camera, for those who were wondering.""

. Because I prefer not to part with my personal items while traveling abroad.

How do you know the lockers are "perfectly" secure?

Have you ever seen how easy it is to pick a lock or crack the computer code to one of those things? I have. [emoji6]

Edited by 4cats4me

"" QUOTE=Bobal;52886749]The lockers are perfectly secure, so not sure why you wouldn't want to leave anything in a secure locker :confused: And you can take a camera, for those who were wondering.""

. Because I prefer not to part with my personal items while traveling abroad.

How do you know the lockers are "perfectly" secure?

Have you ever seen how easy it is to pick a lock or crack the computer code to one of those things? I have. [emoji6]

Well, they're in a building which has constant comings and goings, lots of people around, and someone manning the desk. However I guess they are not 'perfectly' secure, so apologies for the imperfect wording, but I - and many thousands of others - have had no issues leaving our belongings there to enjoy the tower.

We will be docking at La Spezia too and Pisa is in to-do list. Is it better to combine it with Florence or Lucca? Any suggestions for a one day?
The only way you could get to both Pisa and Florence from La Spezia would be with a car service, and even then it would be a push. La Spezia is almost twice as far from Florence as the port at Livorno.

I would pair Pisa with Lucca, a lovely city with lots of great restaurants and things to see/do. These two you could either do on our own by train or with a car service.

Well, they're in a building which has constant comings and goings, lots of people around, and someone manning the desk. However I guess they are not 'perfectly' secure, so apologies for the imperfect wording, but I - and many thousands of others - have had no issues leaving our belongings there to enjoy the tower.

If you heard and saw the things I see on a daily basis, you wouldn't want to part with your belongings, either.

Naïveté can be a good thing, I suppose.

Things go missing from luggage in airports all the time, too, and in that setting there are many people around and many comings and goings as well.

Ok I might do Pisa and lucca. Could you help me with the train route? Or train names? Do I need to pre purchase?

See post #6 in this thread for excruciating detail.

You do not need to prepurchase, most of these are regional routes anyway with no seat assignments. Just purchase that morning at the station in La Spezia. If you know all the steps and timing for the day you can buy all the tickets at once (there is no ticket facility at the Pisa S. Rossore station but there is at Lucca, so you could buy one way at La Spezia and the other direction at Lucca if you want).

Oh, great, thank you! We will be travelling with two kids of 13 and 16 (kids hmm :D) so I prefer it not to be a push, better if we have more time for walking and sightseeing than for the road. What exactly do you recommend to see/do jn Lucca?
See post #10 in this thread for one idea.

Look on the upper right side of the post and you'll see that this is #27, scroll up (and in this case to the prior page) to get to #10. That's where I posted information on renting bikes to ride along the top of the city walls.

Here is more tourism information on Lucca, from the city's web site: http://www.luccaturismo.it/content.php?p=1

Map of Lucca with key sites listed: http://www.luccaturismo.it/upload/File/pubblicazioni/Cartina%20APT%209LUGLIO%20DEF1.pdf

Edited by euro cruiser