Livorno - try Lucca

ollienbertsmum

Having stopped in Livorno several times - we have seen: Florence, San Giminano, Pisa, wine tour, Cinque Terre. We looked for something different.

I chose Lucca - a lovely Tuscan walled town. It was a little crazy the day we went because we happened on a Comicon:'):'):'). I anticipated a leisurely stroll through the squares and around the walls. I was definitely underdressed and I was accompanied by any number of internet and film heroes.

Despite this, I loved Lucca and would like to give it a cheer. It is a wonderful choice for a port stop. It only takes about an hour on the train and it is just the right size for a port stop - there is lots to see, but not so much that you risk missing the boat.

• 1 month later...
We are looking to do Lucca from Livorno also. What mode of transportation did you use?

We took the ship shuttle to the train station. We then bought tickets to Lucca from the machine at the station (there is a ticket office but a little queue). The journey requires two trains with a change at Pisa. It really is quite simple.

The change at Pisa does allow you to visit the Tower and Baptistery in Pisa, the return train stopped at the station right beside the Tower. There is plenty of time to visit both as long As you leave the ship reasonably early. We did not visit Pisa because we have been there a couple of times anyway.

If you do stop off to visit Pisa, go back to the main station to catch your return train to Livorno and then the shuttle back to the ship. If you plan to go up the tower make sure you have bought your tickets online in advance and keep your eye on the time and train times (always take at least one train earlier than you think is necessary).

We are looking to do Lucca from Livorno also. What mode of transportation did you use?

We booked transportation with TuscanyBus for $28eu getting on at the shuttle drop off area. We bussed to Lucca with commentary and free wifi. We spent 3 hours on our own in Lucca and over a hour in Pisa before being dropped off at the cruise port.

Not as cheap as the train but a lot easier and stress free.

We booked transportation with TuscanyBus for $28eu getting on at the shuttle drop off area. We bussed to Lucca with commentary and free wifi. We spent 3 hours on our own in Lucca and over a hour in Pisa before being dropped off at the cruise port.

Not as cheap as the train but a lot easier and stress free.

That does sound like a fair price and a nice day trip. we are familiar with the trains, so really it is not that difficult for us, but when it is your first time in a port, it easier to have something organised.

• 4 months later...
Has anyone information re: rental car to Lucca from the port? We are going in August and are interested in having this option

We have often rented in cars at the port and driving to Lucca is not difficult. However, if your only goal is to go to Lucca the train does make more sense...economically.

As to rental cars we strongly recommend using the local Hertz franchisee....which is http://www.sifracar.com/home.htm?lingua=2 . You will see a link for cruise ship rentals. Although they charge a little more then some other local rental agencies, it is worth the money. Sifracar will deliver your car right to the end of the gangplank, do the paperwork on site...and you will be off. When you return you simply drop the car right next to your ship. Like most rental car agencies in Italy (and Europe) many of their rentals have a stick shift. If you cannot drive a stick then you need to specify that you need an automatic...but you will pay extra for that type of car.

Hank

We also love Lucca. The train from Livorno to Lucca worked out well for us. It's too bad that the Lucca train station is located so far from the port. One really needs to take a taxi or shuttle from the ship to the station.

https://lucca.ca

I think you meant that the Livorno station is so far from the port. In Lucca you just walk across the road from the station to the walled city. Livorno is a bit of a challenge but we used a combination of ships shuttle and local bus to the station. The train ride itself is easy with a quick switch in Pisa.

Has anyone done a bike tour in Lucca? I signed up for this excursion for my upcoming cruise.

Not a biker myself so we tend to walk the walls, but see plenty of people both singles and groups cruising along the walls. One of our favorite places to visit and an easy trip from Livorno.

Not a biker myself so we tend to walk the walls, but see plenty of people both singles and groups cruising along the walls. One of our favorite places to visit and an easy trip from Livorno.

Thanks. I’m really looking forward to our visit to Lucca

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you know of a walking tour map you recommend for Lucca? Have it planned for late 2019.

If you go to Toms Port Guides and download the guide for Livorno it has a whole section dedicated to Lucca. It also covers catching the train from Livorno to Lucca.

We spent three wonderful days in Lucca a few years ago and we plan to return. We prefer it to Pisa by a wide margin. A short train ride to Pisa. The rail station is literally across the street from the town walls so it is very convenient.