Anxiety over Naples port too much too see..

OregonTropics

Going on a italy/greek cruise and all the ports look great but naples is overwhelming in how much i want to see in limited time. It has pompeii, capri, amalfi, sorrento and positano plus much more. I booked an excursion "called amalfi and pompeii by land and sea" through the ship but im paranoid they will spend too much time in pompeii. I love history in my free time and watch lots of documenteries. But as someone in my 30s when im on vacation i just love beaches, sun, and beautiful photos. If the excursion ends up spending half the day in pompeii i will be internally panicking. I would also love to see capri but i don't know if i would have enough time.

Ideally, based on viewing google maps i need to find an excursion that goes to sorrento, positiano and amalfi giving 1-2 hours each place since i have around 9 hours being on the safe side. Will there be people at naples port trying to sell me these type of excursions? or is it safer to book ahead of time?

Even if you could find a trip covering all these places, you would be all day on a coach. We had 3 hours at Pompeii, it's fantastic and so much to see. Much bigger than expected and could have spent a whole day there. Sorrento is a lovely place with lovely views. However don't under estimate the traffic, the roads are very congested and you can be sitting in traffic jams. There us a train that goes down the coast with stops at Pompeii and Sorrento.

Even if you could find a trip covering all these places, you would be all day on a coach. We had 3 hours at Pompeii, it's fantastic and so much to see. Much bigger than expected and could have spent a whole day there. Sorrento is a lovely place with lovely views. However don't under estimate the traffic, the roads are very congested and you can be sitting in traffic jams. There us a train that goes down the coast with stops at Pompeii and Sorrento.

If it were me, I would either concentrate on

Pompeii and Sorento, or tour a few towns on the Amalfi Coast.

We booked a nice private tour there using Sorento First Choice. There were 8 of us and the cost was 75€ pp plus the cost of lunch. We adapted our plan as we went along, which was great! The best thing is you call the shots about how long you would like to spend at each venue. We toured Positano, Ravelo and Amalfi and toured each place at a leisurely pace.

So decide to go back someday. After all, that's why tourists throw coins into the Trevi Fountain in Rome -- to go back one day because you can't possibly see Rome in a single visit (let alone a single day). Naples and the Amalfi Coast and Capri are similar in that you'll need more time to appreciate them than you've got. So appreciate what you can see on this trip -- really get the most out of the sites you do visit -- and let the others go for another time. I've been to Naples and Pompeii and Sorrento and Capri, but I've still never done the Amalfi Coastal drive. Nor have I visited Herculaneum or the many many other things to see in the area. Next time.

(Although next time, this summer, I'm visiting with people who haven't been, so of course we need to visit Pompeii.)

Put your anxiety to bed -- you cannot do it all. Just take a deep breath and make a choice on what appeals to you most immediately.

You have only a day and you have to remember that getting from Point A to Point B will take a lot of your time if you try to do too much. Capri is nearly an hour by ferry, each way. If you go there it should be for the day, or possibly with Sorrento.

If you do the Amalfi coast and want to visit 3 towns with decent time in each one, that's all you should aim for in a day.

Or, you could do Pompeii and Sorrento -- but neither of those will really get you the photos I think you're looking for. (By the way, beaches tend to be rocky or are man-made on platforms. I think craggy views of cliffside towns and beautiful rocky coves might be a better way to describe the types of photos you'll get along Amalfi coast...)

Finally -- if you're a nervous type, I wouldn't wait for arrival to arrange your tour. Yes, there are often taxis there wanting to sell you a full-day experience, but they may or may not be very fluent in English and may or may not be as flexible as you would like (and may or may not be available if there are a number of ships in port....)

After much agonizing ourselves, we decided to take the high speed ferry from Naples to Sorrento and spend a couple of hours there. Then we are going to take another ferry to Capri and finally a ferry back to Naples. Our day in Naples is May 1st and as of now Pompei is not open so it was not an option for us. The cost of the ferry rides to do Sorrento and Capri and back to the dock at Naples was only about 50 euros each so it looks like it is much less than the other excursions we were looking at.

Several years ago we were in Rome and booked a car and driver to take us to the Amalfi coast and Pompeii FROM ROME. It was about an 11 hour day. We did make a very short stop in Sorrento (30 minutes or less) but it was so crowded we should have skipped it. We had lunch high above Positano and have some beautiful photographs from that stop. We did not spend any time in the towns of the Amalfi coast but our main focus was seeing Pompeii. When we arrived at Pompeii, the company had organized a tour guide and she met us at the entrance to Pompeii. I don't remember how long we spent there but it is an amazing place and we loved it.

I think if you find a car and driver you could do it. You just need to decide what's the most important thing(s) you want to see and go from there.

Going on a italy/greek cruise and all the ports look great but naples is overwhelming in how much i want to see in limited time. It has pompeii, capri, amalfi, sorrento and positano plus much more. I booked an excursion "called amalfi and pompeii by land and sea" through the ship but im paranoid they will spend too much time in pompeii. I love history in my free time and watch lots of documenteries. But as someone in my 30s when im on vacation i just love beaches, sun, and beautiful photos. If the excursion ends up spending half the day in pompeii i will be internally panicking. I would also love to see capri but i don't know if i would have enough time.

Ideally, based on viewing google maps i need to find an excursion that goes to sorrento, positiano and amalfi giving 1-2 hours each place since i have around 9 hours being on the safe side. Will there be people at naples port trying to sell me these type of excursions? or is it safer to book ahead of time?

We did "Amalfi and Pompeii by Land and Sea" two years ago. Bus to Salerno, boat to Amalfi, about an hour in Amalfi, boat back to Salerno, bus to Pompeii, lunch, and about two hours in Pompeii. Bus back to Naples. It is a busy day - you could spend your day in one of these places and not ever scratch the surface, though. We loved seeing the Amalfi Coast from the water.

Ive been in the same position and we did Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi all in 1 day with a private car.

Fast forward 4 years and I found myself in Naples again for 3 days however we were travelling with other first timers and I did the same tour with them. I fell in love with the amalfi coast and it was a no brainer to visit the second time!

The rest of the time we explored Naples, its such an exciting city... Capri will have to wait another time.

To the OP (OregonTropics) I would offer the following words of wisdom :). We have been to Naples more than 20 times on cruises and also driven through the area a few times while on extended land/driving trips in Italy. In all of those trips we have still have not seen all there is to see in the Naples area (we have not even been to Procida).

So, take a deep breath...relax....and make a decision on what places are the highest in your priority list. And the next time you return you can try something else, and on future trips even more things. If you do try to do too much, you will possibly find you are very unhappy because you did not have enough time to really see or do anything. For example, Capri is best a day trip (I mean your entire day). The Amalfi Coast can easily be a day trip (we have spend a few weeks on the Amalfi Coast). Some tours (the best ones are private in a smaller vehicle) can get you to both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast (in one port day). Forget beaches (its just not a great use of time in this part of Italy) and the beaches in this region will disappoint most experienced beach lovers.

And no, you cannot just cram in a quick visit to Capri. From Naples it is a 50 minute boat ride (each way) and then it takes some time to get from the pier up to Capri, Anacapri, Mt Solara, etc. etc. We once tried to do Pompeii and Capri in a normal port day (we did this just for fun and to prove a point) and found ourselves rushing through Pompeii...and not having nearly enough time on Capri to do much other then to say we went to the island.

Hank

This is why many of us return for other cruises of the Mediterranean because there is so much to see and the places you mentioned you cannot do in one day, nor two. They all take time.

I have learned from traveling to smell the roses. Some people just want to check off their bucket list and run from place to place. I would rather do less and do them well.

You can do Carpri on your own. Consider doing just that.

Also be sure you consider your entire trip.

My advice is not to run around in each port because halfway through the trip you will be exhausted.

Again smell the roses.

Do less but get more out of what you do.

Keith

We booked this tour several years ago and loved it. Below are links to some of the pictures. When we went to Naples a second time we did the Amalfi Coast by land. Also very good. On the first trip we could not decide between the Amalfi Coast or Pompeii and this let us do both.

Hopefully, there will be a next time and will have to decide between Capri and Herculeum.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/973

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/1076

After much agonizing ourselves, we decided to take the high speed ferry from Naples to Sorrento and spend a couple of hours there. Then we are going to take another ferry to Capri and finally a ferry back to Naples. Our day in Naples is May 1st and as of now Pompei is not open so it was not an option for us. The cost of the ferry rides to do Sorrento and Capri and back to the dock at Naples was only about 50 euros each so it looks like it is much less than the other excursions we were looking at.

I would suggest going to Capri first. Spend as much time there as you like. Then. go to Sorrento. Of all the towns in the area, this could be the least interesting. You probably will have enough with one hour unless you want to stop for pizza (recommended) or shop for souvenirs made in China (not recommended)..

I would suggest going to Capri first. Spend as much time there as you like. Then. go to Sorrento. Of all the towns in the area, this could be the least interesting. You probably will have enough with one hour unless you want to stop for pizza (recommended) or shop for souvenirs made in China (not recommended)..

Once had pizza at a little shop in Sorrento....and I swear it must have also been made in China :).

Hank

We did this tour last October and loved it. While the motor coach ride is long, the drive along the coast is quite nice and you can't beat being on the water and watching the towns roll by. The time in Pompeii was not that much, we actually would have liked to see more. My husband was able to get lots of great photos.

Here is info I got from Royal Caribbean before we cruised and it shows the time spent. We skipped the Cameo factory and ate pizza instead... was delicious.

Amalfi Coast & Pompeii by Land and Sea NPK4

Amalfi town 2:30 1:00

Salerno (end of Amalfi Coast) reached by motorlaunch 0:10 0:50

Restaurant in Pompeii 0:45 1:30

Pompeii excavations (reached on foot) 1:45

Cameo Factory (reached on foot) 0:30

Naples pier 0:30

The time that is listed first is the time spent getting to the location and the time listed next to it is the time spent at the location.

Time permitting, guests will visit a cameo factory either before or after the visit to the excavations. If you do not wish to visit the factory, you can advise the operator and they will further advise.

We did this tour last October and loved it. While the motor coach ride is long, the drive along the coast is quite nice and you can't beat being on the water and watching the towns roll by. The time in Pompeii was not that much, we actually would have liked to see more. My husband was able to get lots of great photos.

Here is info I got from Royal Caribbean before we cruised and it shows the time spent. We skipped the Cameo factory and ate pizza instead... was delicious.

Amalfi Coast & Pompeii by Land and Sea NPK4

Amalfi town 2:30 1:00

Salerno (end of Amalfi Coast) reached by motorlaunch 0:10 0:50

Restaurant in Pompeii 0:45 1:30

Pompeii excavations (reached on foot) 1:45

Cameo Factory (reached on foot) 0:30

Naples pier 0:30

The time that is listed first is the time spent getting to the location and the time listed next to it is the time spent at the location.

Time permitting, guests will visit a cameo factory either before or after the visit to the excavations. If you do not wish to visit the factory, you can advise the operator and they will further advise.

Thank you, this is more descriptive than the royal caribbean site. I wasn't sure if it would go to positiano on the way and doesn't sound like it will. That one sounds great but i may switch and try the Amalfi Coast, positano, sorrento and pompeii tour instead. I will miss out on a cool boatride but i think my main goal for now is positano.

Thank you, this is more descriptive than the royal caribbean site. I wasn't sure if it would go to positiano on the way and doesn't sound like it will. That one sounds great but i may switch and try the Amalfi Coast, positano, sorrento and pompeii tour instead. I will miss out on a cool boatride but i think my main goal for now is positano.

Tour buses are NOT permitted to enter the single road that snakes its way down through Positano. Those taking bus tours along the Amalfi Drive will get to "see" Positano from the road above. If you actually want to visit Positano you will need to take a small vehicle tour, rent a car, or get there via a boat.

Hank

Agree 100%... avoid factories. We simply told our guide that we were going to skip it and stayed in the area to meet back up.

For Royal excursions, you can email Shorex@rccl.com

and ask them for the specifics on an excursion. They will send you what I posted above, with estimated times.

They ask that you include your reservation # and the name of a specific excursion you are thinking about going on. I was able to get details on all the ones were are thinking of doing.

Happy planning!

• 4 weeks later...
Ive been in the same position and we did Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi all in 1 day with a private car.

Fast forward 4 years and I found myself in Naples again for 3 days however we were travelling with other first timers and I did the same tour with them. I fell in love with the amalfi coast and it was a no brainer to visit the second time!

The rest of the time we explored Naples, its such an exciting city... Capri will have to wait another time.

What private car company did you use ?

I'm having a bit of the same anxiety. I booked with Joe Bananas to do Pompeii, Positano and Amalfi, but I keep questioning if there's really enough time to enjoy these places during the 9 hours.....AND which one I would cut. :confused::o:(

We did this exact tour with Joe Bananas Limo.. it was GREAT! There was time to wander Positano and Sorrento and as well as the beautiful turnouts views on the road. We then had a private tour with our drivers "uncle" of pompeii. It was well worth it! Our driver checked the traffic to decide which one to go to first etc.. It was wonderful to be in a private car and not on a bus on those roads! I would recommend them heartily. We were sad to give up Capri but decided this was a better option. Good luck!

We did this exact tour with Joe Bananas Limo.. it was GREAT! There was time to wander Positano and Sorrento and as well as the beautiful turnouts views on the road. We then had a private tour with our drivers "uncle" of pompeii. It was well worth it! Our driver checked the traffic to decide which one to go to first etc.. It was wonderful to be in a private car and not on a bus on those roads! I would recommend them heartily. We were sad to give up Capri but decided this was a better option. Good luck!

We would reiterate (for others) that a bus would not have been able to enter into Positano! This is an issue we have talked about here for many years. For anyone that wants to truly experience Positano...you must be in a car or van. No tour buses allowed. Some cruise lines still market somewhat of a "con" about their Amalfi tours (although most have cleaned up their act in the past few years). You will sometimes see a Cruise Line Amalfi Coast Excursion marketed with "You will see Positano." And that is true.... you will "see: Positano...from a distance looking down from the road. But you will not "experience" Positano. This famous town has only a single road which snakes through the cliff side town....and it is closed to all tour buses.

Hank

How far is it from the cruise ship port to Naples? We would like to just go into Naples and eat lunch and walk around. Any suggestions of a neighborhood restaurant, not tourists? Or how far is Positano. We stopped there on a previous cruise, and I loved it. How far from the ship and recommendations for a lunch spot?

We did a private tour of the Amalfi coast last time and it was great.

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago my wife and I did the Pompeii/Amalfi coast thing. We enjoyed it immensely. Much to see. Last year we just got off the ship and took the ferry to Capri. Loved it. We got a cab off the dock and our driver took us on a wonderful trip around the island. Or you can take the funicular from the dock to the city above. Wonderful views. We had lunch by the dock before getting back on the ferry.

I think your idea of going to Capri and Sorrento from the ferry is probably your best bet.