Suggestions for Venice

kuddles14

We will be on Vision of the Seas and one of our stops is an over night in Venice. We arrive in port our first day there at 3 pm. We currently have a shore excursion through the ship entitled Murano Glass and Burano Lace.

Had anyone done this excursion through the ship? If so, how did you like it? We figured we would do St. Peter's square the next day. Any other suggestions?

We did Murano and Burano - but we did it on our own using the vaporetto, of course you know that this takes you off Venice island. It was a very nice half day for us and we enjoyed Murano and Burano. However, if I were in Venice for only 1 1/2 days, I think I would spend it all in Venice and save Murano for a longer trip. Venice in the evening is pretty charming after the crowds leave St. Mark's.. Do you know what time your excursion returns to Venice, will there be time to spend your only evening in Venice on Venice proper? I would guess this is at least a 4 hour excursion.. The boat ride to Murano and Burano is at least 30 min one way if I recall. Venice is pretty easy to do on your own, by mostly walking. That is how I would spend 1 1/2 days there.

We will be on Vision of the Seas and one of our stops is an over night in Venice. We arrive in port our first day there at 3 pm. We currently have a shore excursion through the ship entitled Murano Glass and Burano Lace.

Had anyone done this excursion through the ship? If so, how did you like it? We figured we would do St. Peter's square the next day. Any other suggestions?

Contact Marina and Marco Busetto Maribu (brother and sister) www.maribu.it. They are expert private guides licensed for Venice and they live on the island. They offer customized tours to fit any needs or desires. Contact Marina at marina@maribu.it. Marco’s wife was our guide on a tour of Sicily and Southern Italy with Collette.

Ciao,

Ron

However, if I were in Venice for only 1 1/2 days, I think I would spend it all in Venice and save Murano for a longer trip. Venice in the evening is pretty charming after the crowds leave St. Mark's..

I agree with this wholeheartedly. With such a short time in Venice, use it to enjoy being IN Venice. The islands have their charm, but Venice is spectacular and is improved in the evening when most 'daytrippers' have gone. If you want to save San Marco and the Doge's Palace for the next day, you can still explore the Rialto (or any other) area.

We did Murano and Burano - but we did it on our own using the vaporetto, of course you know that this takes you off Venice island. It was a very nice half day for us and we enjoyed Murano and Burano. However, if I were in Venice for only 1 1/2 days, I think I would spend it all in Venice and save Murano for a longer trip. Venice in the evening is pretty charming after the crowds leave St. Mark's.. Do you know what time your excursion returns to Venice, will there be time to spend your only evening in Venice on Venice proper? I would guess this is at least a 4 hour excursion.. The boat ride to Murano and Burano is at least 30 min one way if I recall. Venice is pretty easy to do on your own, by mostly walking. That is how I would spend 1 1/2 days there.

You are correct it is a 4 hour excursion. That’s why I am questioning doing it .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with this wholeheartedly. With such a short time in Venice, use it to enjoy being IN Venice. The islands have their charm, but Venice is spectacular and is improved in the evening when most 'daytrippers' have gone. If you want to save San Marco and the Doge's Palace for the next day, you can still explore the Rialto (or any other) area.

Thank you! We are taking CC Jack and your advice. I was questioning the excursion because of the time it takes and we certainly don’t want to be sorry we missed something there. There are so many things we would like to see and do in Venice, especially since this is our first Med cruise. I guess we will have to do a return trip![emoji16]

You are correct it is a 4 hour excursion. That’s why I am questioning doing it .

You are right to question it. Don't do it. Stay in Venice instead. Spend the time in Venice.

Book your entry to San Marco and the Doge's palace online.

You are right to question it. Don't do it. Stay in Venice instead. Spend the time in Venice.

Book your entry to San Marco and the Doge's palace online.

Thank you for that suggestion. I certainly will take your advice.

• 1 month later...

DW and I really do enjoy going out to Burano for a long lunch or dinner a few hour stroll. But you will spend a lot of your precious time just getting to and from this most distant island. We agree with the others that for a first-time first visit one might want to just spend all their time in Venice. If you later changed your mind you could easily grab a vaporetto out to Murano (much closer then Burano) without paying the big bucks for a tour. Consider that you can buy a 48 hour Vaporetto Ticket for 30€ that allows unlimited use of all the vaporettos for 2 days (a 24 hour ticket is 20€). The vaporettos can take you just about anywhere (including Murano and Burano) and are handy for just getting around Venice for those that do not like to do a lot of walking.

The People Mover (which connects the port facility to the Piazale Roma only costs 1.5€ and gets you near a major Vaporetto pier.

Hank

Just another opinion....but we were in Venice for the same amount of time when we went for our first visit to Venice. Not sure if we would ever get back we wanted to see as much as we could. We did the Murano/Burano tour on our 1/2 day (2nd day) and it worked out GREAT! I am so happy that we were able to go there. Venice itself is easy with a map to walk on your own. Not sure why you are being dissuaded by so many, because we saw all the highlights of Venice and fit in Murano/Burano too! I didn't feel cheated or rushed at all....but just our opinion of course!

If you are back from the cruise, could you tell me if the vision of the sea is sailing through the Grand Canal as usual?[]I will sail in the vision of the seas in August and I have read that in 2018 some large ships will not be able to do so.

We'll if we are thinking of the same grand canal in Venice- the one that the Rialto Bridge and the Ponte dell academia crosses over and the grand canal that winds it way from the train station to the Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute- then NO CRUISE SHIP HAS EVER GONE DOWN or UP IT. They would never fit under the bridges.

If you are thinking about the passage between Guidecca and the the Island of venice where San Marco is located.

then possibly.

If you visit Basilica Di San Marco in Venice and buy timed-entry tickets in advance, I believe it is still true that they light the mosaics and ceilings for only a short time each day. It has been 8 or so years, but we deliberately bought our tickets online for around noontime as the experience is significantly enhanced when these things are illuminated. Check out tripadvisor...there are several discussions on this issue, with the last one in 2017.

If you are back from the cruise, could you tell me if the vision of the sea is sailing through the Grand Canal as usual?[]I will sail in the vision of the seas in August and I have read that in 2018 some large ships will not be able to do so.

That has been an on again off again change because of many legal challenges. There are currently no restrictions on ships going through the Giudecca Canal and docking at the cruise port. However, it is estimated that by 2021 the new restrictions will take effect (barring another court injunction) which will ban ships over 55,000 tons from the Giudecca Canal (and the cruise port). So, in the near future, ships like the Vision will be required to dock at the ugly commercial terminal located on the Mainland at Marghera. This is all good for Venice and its fragile environment but not good for cruisers who love the views when sailing through the Giudecca Canal.

Hank

Those are quaint islands...We just spent 4 days in Venice before our cruise, so we had the time......Spend ALL your time in Venice, so much to see...you can buy a piece of Murano glass in the city...you wont be dissappointed

Just found out that there’s a ‘Biennale Architectura’ in Venice this year. There are 63 national pavilions in the Giardini that is at the far eastern end of the main island. It looks really interesting. Here’s a link to the website http://www.labiennale.org/en/architecture/2018/16th-international-architecture-exhibition-0

Also here is a link to a Condé Nast article about it https://www.cntraveler.com/story/venice-architecture-biennale-2018-guide-what-to-do

Sent from my iPad using Forums