Shorts for men

erros

We have seen many, many people wearing above the knee shorts in churches in Greece, Italy, and in Venice in particular. Most churches are open. You simply walk in. My shorts are above the knee. I have worn them in churches all over Europe, including St. Peters on probably six different occasions.

We have seen many, many people wearing above the knee shorts in churches in Greece, Italy, and in Venice in particular. Most churches are open. You simply walk in. My shorts are above the knee. I have worn them in churches all over Europe, including St. Peters on probably six different occasions.

Most churches do not have the resources to hire security, or the volunteers willing to do the job. Nevertheless, it is still the "house rule" that knees and shoulders be covered for every adult, male and female.

The major cathedrals and basilicas usually do have people enforcing the rules, I find it hard to believe you swanned into St. Peter's on six separate occasions in above the knee shorts and no one noticed.

Their house, their rules.

You are free to arrive wearing (or not wearing) anything you want, they are free to send you away.

Therefore, if seeing the inside of these churches is important to you, follow the rules. If you'd be okay with being turned away, then it doesn't matter what you wear.

The churches do request that you cover knees and shoulders. Apparently one can choose to disregard that, and get away with it most of the time, but it seems very disrespectful to me. If an organisation is gracious enough to open up beautiful, historical buildings for our pleasure and interest, and generally not charge any sort of admission fee, it seems a small and easy gesture to dress as requested.

The churches do request that you cover knees and shoulders. Apparently one can choose to disregard that, and get away with it most of the time, but it seems very disrespectful to me. If an organisation is gracious enough to open up beautiful, historical buildings for our pleasure and interest, and generally not charge any sort of admission fee, it seems a small and easy gesture to dress as requested.

Well said - I also find it disrespectful not to observe the rules in a house of worship.

I agree 100%.

Don't be the ugly American (or Canadian, or Australian or ......)

I totally agree about Rome. I was really surprised at how many men in shorts were allowed into the churches & religious venues. Their shorts were just above the knee, so maybe that's the difference - they're close enough. Can't comment on Greece yet. ;)

My husband always says, "God doesn't care if I'm in shorts or pants, so why should a church?".

Their house. Their rules.

Do you always disregard dress codes at private venues? They can be anything from "no shoes, no shirts, no service" at a beach bar to "jackets and tie required" at a fancy restaurant. Or do you only disrespect churches?

Their house. Their rules.

Do you always disregard dress codes at private venues? They can be anything from "no shoes, no shirts, no service" at a beach bar to "jackets and tie required" at a fancy restaurant. Or do you only disrespect churches?

This...I don't get why people feel they can make up their own rules in other countries, or in "other people's houses". But then we have people who also seem to think they don't have to follow cruise line rules about taking alcohol on board either.

We have passed through the line that check attire at St. Peter's in Rome multiple times. I have never been asked about the shorts that I was wearing. Nor were those shorts illustrated on the board at the checkpoint that indicates in symbols and pictures what is and what is not viewed as inappropriate attire. Not once, but at least three or four visits on one of our last trips. We stayed close to the Vatican and our habit was to enter in the later afternoon, about 3PM, in order to avoid the long line ups.

As I recall, it was the exact same on our multiple visits to Hagia Sophia.

We have passed through the line that check attire at St. Peter's in Rome multiple times. I have never been asked about the shorts that I was wearing. Nor were those shorts illustrated on the board at the checkpoint that indicates in symbols and pictures what is and what is not viewed as inappropriate attire.

I'm not clear on how the official sign (shown below) could possibly not be understood as saying that shorts are not allowed. But just in case that is not clear enough, the official Vatican website states: Entry to the Vatican Museums, the Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica and the Vatican Gardens is permitted only to appropriately dressed visitors.

Low cut or sleeveless clothing, shorts, miniskirts and hats are not allowed.

http://www.museivaticani.va/content/museivaticani/en/visita-i-musei/consigli-utili.html

vaticandresscodesignverylargeimage-e1355542385809.jpg

I really don't care for any religion,however, I do respect the rules if I go into a religious building. I find it rude and disrespectful those that don't. Is it a hardship to wear the correct clothing? No, it isn't.

It's also disrespectful to be laughing and joking around with selfie sticks, but I see it in many European places of worship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If that is the sign at St. Peters I can assure you that they are not enforcing the shorts rule for men. Mine are just above the knee and I wear a collared shirt. They appear to pay more attention to women. We have passed through this checkpoint a dozen or so times. Never an issue, never a comment. Ditto any others that had some sort of monitor on duty. In Italy, Croatia, Greece, and Turkey.

Are you trying to encourage others to break the rules just because you got away with it a few times? Are you saying it is ok to be rude and disrespectful just because the church might not have enough monitors to supervise the entrance?

Who said anything about being rude?

And who said that they did not have enough monitors? They had plenty each time we were passed through. There was no attention paid to men in shorts. Many, many in the lines were dressed in a similar fashion and there was zero issue. We were all whisked through the line.

I really don't care for any religion,however, I do respect the rules if I go into a religious building. I find it rude and disrespectful those that don't. Is it a hardship to wear the correct clothing? No, it isn't.

It's also disrespectful to be laughing and joking around with selfie sticks, but I see it in many European places of worship.

Agreed, on all counts! I am always appalled to see selfie sticks being used in houses of worship, historical cemeteries, etc.

We remove our shoes at a mosque or a Bhuddist temple.

I would wear slacks if I was ever asked. My point being that I have never been asked in years of travel to these countries nor have I have seen anyone else asked.

We remove our shoes at a mosque or a Bhuddist temple.

I would wear slacks if I was ever asked. My point being that I have never been asked in years of travel to these countries nor have I have seen anyone else asked.

Written rules are not enough? You must be personally asked?

Iancal

Well, having worked in Spain, Greece and other places please believe me they do ask. For those who do not want to comply they are refused entry. The last time we were in Barcelona, a couple of years ago, they were stopping visitors who were not dressed correctly.

If you can take your shoes off in a mosque or temple why can't you comply in other places of worship.

Wearing slacks all day just we can drop by St. Peters is not convenient, especially if our hotel happens to be a little further away.
And this is exactly the point, your personal comfort/convenience is more important than anyone else's rules or conventions. Others feel differently.