New U.K. data protection laws (GDPR)

Riocca

With new data protection regulations (GDPR) being introduced in the U.K. on the 25th May which governs the way companies handle the data they hold on individuals and contact them. I was wondering what Azamara/Celebrity/RC are doing to be compliant.

Currently we are being inundated with emails and mail from companies asking if we still want to be contacted or remain in loyalty schemes.

It’s the latter that concerns the most, with both Princess and P&O cruises we have had to confirm that we still wish to participate in their respective loyalty schemes, if we did not do so then our membership would be terminated and we would lose any loyalty benefits.

I have looked on the Celebrity and RC websites and can see no reference to the new regulations.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have also been getting emails from various companies concerning this. Celebrity also sent me an email about the data protection to which I was asked to opt in if I wanted to continue getting communications. There was nothing about losing loyalty benefits if I did not opt in.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

I have also been getting emails from various companies concerning this. Celebrity also sent me an email about the data protection to which I was asked to opt in if I wanted to continue getting communications. There was nothing about losing loyalty benefits if I did not opt in.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Forums mobile app

We’ve heard nothing from Azamara, Celebrity or RC despite being opted in to communication from all three.

That P&O/Princess threat about losing your loyalty points is baloney IMHO. The GDPR is about how they process and share your data - they do not need consent to keep your data about their loyalty scheme which you have already opted into.

It is some IT/legal/marketing wonk's way of scaring people into opting in to all sorts of stuff (JMHO obviously).

Many companies are not sure about this GDPR thing and the potential mahoosive fines have them running scared (good thing too!). They are going over the top in getting consent. It is a good opportunity for them to purge the rubbish data out of their databases though.

I have yet to hear from RCCL regarding this new law and I hope that they are going to adopt a sensible approach and not threaten us all with loosing our loyalty points and benefits if we don't want to provide them with an e-mail address. If cruise lines within the Carnival group go ahead and remove all onboard benefits for those who don't comply they will certainly thin down their memberships, but I wouldn't want the job on Onboard Loyalty Manager !

No communication from Azamara about this new law but I have received messages from cruise lines we have never even sailed with.

It seems that Azamara just do not care about UK law or past UK customers.

Bonnie, are you compliant because everyone whose information you hold has actively asked to be on your database? I ask because as I understand it the new law says this has to be the case. Some companies keep people’s information without the person having made an active choice and I think they now have to ask people.

Bonnie, are you compliant because everyone whose information you hold has actively asked to be on your database? I ask because as I understand it the new law says this has to be the case. Some companies keep people’s information without the person having made an active choice and I think they now have to ask people.

HGC, this is a question for Mr Twynam...he has been overseeing this project since we learned of it.

My goodness Bloodaxe, how do you jump to such conclusions?! :confused:

As it happens we are fully compliant with the new regulation.

At least it managed to get some response from Azamara on this subject.

HGC, this is a question for Mr Twynam...he has been overseeing this project since we learned of it.

That’s great because sending emails to one person with content addressed to another (see 2020 schedule thread) would be an issue in the new regime so glad the IT fixes are going to be with us very soon.

That’s great because sending emails to one person with content addressed to another (see 2020 schedule thread) would be an issue in the new regime so glad the IT fixes are going to be with us very soon.

Maybe they’ve become compliant by not sending us any emails at all, we’ve not had any LCV emails for months.

Most of the marketing emails we receive now have content relevant to the US market so of no interest at all. Hopefully come the 25th May all will be resolved.

Both Azamara and Celebrity no longer send us emails and we are long standing LCV members. Disappointing to be ignored by the two lines you’ve sailed most with.

Same with us, I’m surprised that a company in such a customer focused business fails to recognise that comparatively small things like this can alienate customers.

Like most we don’t want to be bombarded with dross but keeping in touch with customers giving relevant information can reinforce positive feelings. Human nature is such that we all want to feel our custom is appreciated be it a retailer or cruise line.

Same with us, I’m surprised that a company in such a customer focused business fails to recognise that comparatively small things like this can alienate customers.

Like most we don’t want to be bombarded with dross but keeping in touch with customers giving relevant information can reinforce positive feelings. Human nature is such that we all want to feel our custom is appreciated be it a retailer or cruise line.

Bonnie says it has been sent - there is something not right as it seems very few in the UK have got it. I do understand the sentiment of your post though, as is often the case its the little things that make the difference. You certainly cannot fault the team onboard for recognising that.

Bonnie says it has been sent - there is something not right as it seems very few in the UK have got it. I do understand the sentiment of your post though, as is often the case its the little things that make the difference. You certainly cannot fault the team onboard for recognising that.

We did eventually get something at 8.28pm yesterday but once again in was from the US with all the links to the US website. Over the last few months we have been receiving US emails sometimes followed by one with the same information a few days later.

What bothers me is one of Azamara’s onboard usp’s is the friendly interaction with the staff where all passengers are treated with equal importance. Azamara are also well represented on platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, however not all customers follow these so email communications are important but these appear to be in a mess.

Those of us in the U.K. have seen the effects lack of investment in digital technologies has had on some very large retailers. Gone are the days we would sit in a high street travel agents office being told our options, nowadays we research and compare them online so companies who do not invest in functionality of websites and digital communications will suffer.

As I understand the new law all EU businesses, clubs etc that hold our data has to prepare a policy that complies with the new standard and ask the subject to confirm whether he/she wish their data to be continued to be held. I do not think it would be sufficient to have a policy, however compliant, without getting the individual's agreement to the continued holding of their data. It would seem unlikely that AZ has completed the process.

t

Britcruiser,

You are completely correct.

As a trustee of a charity I attended a seminar put on by the financial advisers to the charity and ALL organisations from bowling clubs up to Google/ Amazon and all in between HAVE to have informed consent i.e. they CANNOT assume consent through lack of response.

As Riocca says we in UK are inundated with emails from any mailing lists to confirm that we wish to continue otherwise we are taken off the list.

It seems that Azamara UK is COMPLETELY swimming against the tide and I really recommend that USA have a serious look at this as you only have 10 days to comply.

You can of course take another approach - by the way contracting for a Government department I have had to go through monthly training, e learning and pass an e assessment on the rules otherwise I have no systems access after 25th - you can delete your email database and start again. I know this was an option that was considered in our organisation as being easier than a data cleanse and getting various permissions. I know this was a tempting option for some who had database issues. Maybe that’s the RC group decision?