Venice to Rome Train Questions

AutumnSky

I have read many threads here concerning the train between Venice and Rome, and I have also visited the trenitalia website. I still have a couple of questions. Is there no dedicated luggage storage in business class? If the gray area is storage, I only see it between the seats, which I believe would only store a carry-on size suitcase. In that case, where would a large suitcase go? That brings me to my other question. I'm having difficulty telling which seats face each other. Is the gray area really storage? if so, then on the seat map the two facing seats have no gray between them. Or does the gray area represent the knee space between the facing seats? I would like to book two seats facing each other, so at least one of us will be facing forward! I'd not like it if we ended up sitting back-to-back! Also, in the key, there are four seats with a gray rectangle between them, and it says "frontal seats." What does this mean? Sigh. Can you tell I grew up in an area with virtually no public transportation?

Thank you Twickenham! I just came upon this site while looking for photos of coaches. Now it looks like the gray area is actually a table, not storage. But now I'm wondering if the train from Venice to Rome is non-stop. I saw a post on another thread where someone said that you have to change trains at the Mestre station.

In this seat map (link below) what would be in the large empty space? Is there anything that indicates where storage for large suitcases would be? And could you tell me which pairs of seats on the single side would be facing each other? For instance, would it be 7D and 8D , and the gray part is a table between the seats?

https://www.lefrecce.it/B2CWeb/seatSelect.do?method=viewSeatSelection&cFID=e1s5oQdSqUO1

In this seat map (link below)

I'm afraid we can't see a seat map...

The freccia trains have luggage racks at the ends of each carriage, and shelves where smaller bags can be stored. As long as you're not trying to carry half your wardrobe, you'll have plenty of space for your luggage.

Well, I'm sorry the seat map didn't show up. The link I posted had the seat map showing. The site won't let me copy and paste the map itself.

Thank you Twickenham and euro cruiser for your input. I appreciate you helping me muddle through!

• 3 weeks later...

Then ends of the train cars have a large area to store your luggage. They will hold about 6 large bags. There is also a mid-train rack that will hold 2 large bags. Small bags go over your head. i suggest you sit so you can watch your bags as you pull into a station. We had three large bags and I decided to bring a cable and small lock with me just for the train. I figured it would be harder to swipe 3 bags if they were so inclined. We had absolutely no issues. I loved the train ride from Venice to Rome. It is very high speed and does stop at 5 or 6 cities on the way. On one of them, I think Firenze, it pulls in going forward but then 'backs' out and continues that way all the way into Rome. So whatever direction you sit when you start, you will be facing the other direction at some point to the end.

In Venice, I suggest you get on the train as soon as they allow you, about 20 minutes prior to departure and get your luggage stowed first, then worry about finding your seat. In Rome, you have lots of time to gather your luggage and depart into the station.

Thank you, modem9! This is very useful information, and I appreciate you taking the time to share it. I've never taken a train in Europe, and there's so much I don't know; but, I feel like it's beginning to come together. I'm looking forward to the train ride. I'm sure it will be a wonderful adventure! Thanks again!

So here is my long-time standard warning about the luggage racks at the end of train cars. It is not unknown for luggage to disappear from those racks....usually just as a train pulls into a station. When we put luggage on the racks we lock all of our pieces to the rack with a cable luggage lock. You can find these on line, and for frequent independent travelers they can be worth their weight in gold. Always practice good personal security when traveling around Europe as there are many Roma (gypsies) and other thieves who are very good at their craft. They tend to pick the easy targets and especially love expensive luggage (which is why we never buy expensive luggage).

Hank

Thank you, Hlitner! As you and modem9 both recommend locks for the luggage, I think we'll get some. And, since modem9 also said that there's plenty of time in Rome to depart, there should be no problems getting the luggage unlocked and off the train. I think a lock will relieve some of the stress of keeping an eye on our luggage at all times, which we would feel the need to do. Thanks for your input!

We just did high speed train from Venice to Rome in October...We booked first class and there were 6 of us...We boarded first, and our seats were just near the luggage area...we cabled all 6 pieces of luggage together, although we had our eyes right there, but we felt better....many people boarded after us and had to keep their luggage with them...those luggage areas are not that big.

We just did high speed train from Venice to Rome in October...We booked first class and there were 6 of us...We boarded first, and our seats were just near the luggage area...we cabled all 6 pieces of luggage together, although we had our eyes right there, but we felt better....many people boarded after us and had to keep their luggage with them...those luggage areas are not that big.

Sorry if it has been answered before, but how long does the high speed train take from Venice to Rome? Might be using that myself.