Rome Itinerary Help Please??????

bjbjordan1

We will be porting in Civitavecchia Friday June 22, 2018 from 7am-7pm Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas. Going to try to get off the ship as soon as we can, shuttle to port entrance then walk to the train station. We plan to get the earliest train possible via the BIRG ticket.

We plan to first go to the the Vatican museum and have tickets ahead of time. What is the earliest time for tickets to the Vatican we should consider??? Thanks in advance.

Bob

10:00AM is still probably reasonable but I am not sure why the previous poster mentioned Termini. There would be no reason to go there as you would get off the train at San Pietro for the Vatican

It's a one mile walk from the port shuttle bus drop-off near the della Pace to the train station on Viale della Repubblica, 20 - 30 minutes for most people. Also allow yourself a few minutes to purchase your BIRG ticket from the newsstand (fastest option) or ticket office.

The train ride takes 45 - 60 minutes, depending on the train. With a 7 AM arrival is there is a very small chance of getting the 7:44 (arrives 8:25), a better chance of making the 7:58 (arrives 8:54), and a solid chance barring very unusual circumstances of making the 8:42 (arrives 9:24).

http://www.trenitala.com

You also have to allow time to walk from the train station to the museums. It's a mile and a quarter on foot from Roma S. Pietro to the entrance of the Vatican museums on Viale Vaticano, about a half hour walk for most people. If the bus (#64) happens to be at the station when you arrive you can jump on and save yourself part of the walk but it's not enough of a savings to bother waiting for the bus if it isn't already there (you would need to get off at the third stop).

#64 bus: http://viaggiacon.atac.roma.it/?service=trovalinea&linea=64&percorso=64R

After all that, I agree that 10 AM is the earliest I would book. If you get lucky and manage to grab an earlier train you can take your time on the walk over, stopping to check out Piazza San Pietro and the colonnade, and/or see if you can get in a bit earlier than your reservation.

IF you intend to go to the Vatican first, DO NOT take the train to Termini.

Rather, get off a few stops earlier at S. Pietro (St Peters). Walk the short distance, take the bus outside the station, or grab a cab and go down to the Vatican.

Or, if the Vatican, Castel S. Angelo, and P. Navona are on your list for the afternoon there is no reason to go to Termini to catch the train to Civ. Simply go to the S. Pietro station. Much closer, quiet, convenient, etc.

So looks like I waited too long. The current available times are 9:30, 11:30 or 2pm. I have a couple more questions.

What happens if we book the 9:30 but do not get there in time and we are late???

If we booked the 2pm, we could reverse our plan going to the Colosseum and other sights first then doing the Vatican Museum last. Would 2pm give us enough time there w/ a brief stop at St Peter's Basilica before the train ride back to port having a total port time of 7am-7pm?

Thanks again

Bob