Need information on pre and post cruise hotel packages with Azamara

Magnum60

I've booked Azamara Journey for its September 21 'Iberian Passage' 8 day cruise and also booked 2 night pre and post cruise hotel packages. Our hotel in Lisbon is the Hotel Carinthia and our hotel at the cruises end in Barcelona is the Hotel Silken Diagonal.

The Azamara website, like most cruise line websites, has pretty pictures but not much detailed information. They also don't have a live online chat capability.

Anyone know if either of the two above packaged hotels include breakfast? The last Azamara agent I spoke with was very nice but wasn't sure if breakfasts are included. If breakfast isn't included in either hotel package I'd like to have a recommendation or two from people that actually travel for some nice Non-Hotel eateries [near the hotel] that some of you out there might have been to.

For what each 2 night hotel package sells for you'd think you'd get at least some free burned toast in the morning?

Thanks in advance.

This is just my opinion but I NEVER book a hotel package through the cruise line as you will be paying far more than if you or your TA book it yourself. Azamara (or any cruise line) takes its cut and it's a big one. It's so easy to book a hotel and transfers on our own.

This is just my opinion but I NEVER book a hotel package through the cruise line as you will be paying far more than if you or your TA book it yourself. Azamara (or any cruise line) takes its cut and it's a big one. It's so easy to book a hotel and transfers on our own.

I agree completely. Book your own hotel and hop in a cab to get to the ship. You'll save lots of money - and you can choose a hotel that includes breakfast. You might want to ask people on your roll call where they're staying. You could then have dinner with them the night before you board the ship. We're done this and it was great fun.

Hi wripro, I'm sure there is much truth in what you say but is the only advantage of letting your cruise line do the booking just convenience? There must be something other than greed for a cruise line on TA to offer a hotel package before or after a cruise knowing that sooner or later repeat travelers would figure the ruse out and become 'un loyal' passengers. One really has nothing to loose [other than time to book the hotel (s) yourself or maybe availability] by dumping a pre or post hotel stay arranged by your cruise line and doing the booking yourself. The cruise price doesn't change if you do or do not book a hotel package. Your hotel room will go down if you shop around but not as much as one would think. Keep in mind that the hotel (who is in bed with your cruise line might not have any 'space' available for you to book due to a small block of rooms held for that line). The only people that loose money regularly in the travel game tend to be the travelers.

I'm still looking for a breakfast location at or near my two [Azamara chosen] 'rip off' hotels (insert smile) because hotel breakfasts are the biggest rip off of them all.

I will drink to this too. I NEVER use a ships hotel. I book my own. I read up on them in books and look at website. the website gives you pictures of all hotel rooms. I tend to pick 2 or 3 and then ask my agent which one she likes. In most cases she has seen them.

Not big on breakfast but like knowing it is there. Coffee and a roll mostly. Both cities have place to eat. just wander and you will find a cafe.

TGG mention taxi's i have use them or limo's.I like using limo's at airport as they meet you inside the building and i do not have to roll that cart one more foot.

I've booked Azamara Journey for its September 21 'Iberian Passage' 8 day cruise and also booked 2 night pre and post cruise hotel packages. Our hotel in Lisbon is the Hotel Carinthia and our hotel at the cruises end in Barcelona is the Hotel Silken Diagonal.

The Azamara website, like most cruise line websites, has pretty pictures but not much detailed information. They also don't have a live online chat capability.

Anyone know if either of the two above packaged hotels include breakfast? The last Azamara agent I spoke with was very nice but wasn't sure if breakfasts are included. If breakfast isn't included in either hotel package I'd like to have a recommendation or two from people that actually travel for some nice Non-Hotel eateries [near the hotel] that some of you out there might have been to.

For what each 2 night hotel package sells for you'd think you'd get at least some free burned toast in the morning?

Thanks in advance.

I think only Azamara can tell you if your package includes breakfast. If it is not mentioned in your booking, probably it does not.

The same as other guests, I prefer to do my own hotel booking unless there is a special price which includes the hotel as additional perk when booking a cruise.

I am not able to recommend a place for breakfast in those places. In those occasions in which I have not booked my room with breakfast, I have just identified on my arrival day a place near the hotel to have my breakfast. For me a tea or coffee with croissant will do it. This is very easy to find even at bakeries in many European cities.

Ivi

No, the advantage is convenience. And to cater to those who need a bit more hand holding.

Having looked at cruise line "lodging packages" for many years (and rejecting them every time) I would guess that the average is close to double what you could on your own if you take advantages of special offers, multiple night discounts, etc. by doing a few minutes of comparison.. And then you would have more direct contact with the hotel. Honestly, if you booked it yourself you would not be searching to find out whether or not breakfast is included.

There is a big shopping mall directly across from Hotel ( Les Glories) on Diagonal in Barcelona - lots of quick food options there for breakfast including a Carrefour - big French based super mercado. Mc Donalds too apparently.

There is a big shopping mall directly across from Hotel ( Les Glories) on Diagonal in Barcelona - lots of quick food options there for breakfast including a Carrefour - big French based super mercado. Mc Donalds too apparently.

You will save ALOT of money booking yourself....I always look at what hotels they use, if I do not know a city, then call them yourselves, also on this forum people give lots of great suggestions......You really are paying to much also for your transfers, and usually waiting.