Time in Kiel?

manc

Does anyone know if the ship has time in Kiel after the transit if the canal?

We want to transit the canal as i have done that many years ago and it was great but if possible i would like to wander round Kiel having already been on the Uboat and visited Laboe etc.

Will we get chance for a walk and a beer?

We want to transit the canal as i have done that many years ago and it was great but if possible i would like to wander round Kiel having already been on the Uboat and visited Laboe etc.

We did the transit from the North Sea to the Baltic on Journey some years ago.

The Ship went through the Locks and then on to Copenhagen, did not stop in Kiel.

If Kiel is not a port of call it is unlikely to stop.

Edited by Bloodaxe

Did you check your shore time on your itinerary?

DON

• 2 weeks later...

I have emailed a question to azamara but the answer did not reflect my question. I have asked again. We would like to stretch our legs and enjoy a beer while waiting for shore excursions to come back on board if possible.

I have emailed a question to azamara but the answer did not reflect my question. I have asked again. We would like to stretch our legs and enjoy a beer while waiting for shore excursions to come back on board if possible.

I'm not sure what answer they gave you, but thinking about it logically it takes about 7-8 hours with normal traffic to go through the canal. Taking into acount dropping off the tours at the start and going through the locks you should be through by 5pm. Start times of the tours are 10.30am and all four of them are 7 hours meaning they'll be back around 5.30pm. It indicates they will end at Holtenau which is a few miles outside of Kiel. Your departure time says 8pm. So all of this says to me that there won't be time for you to wander around Kiel itself. Unless you are doing a tour it's all about the transit.

Phil

Would be pleased to get off at Holtenau for a walk if possible. Know Kiel well but just want some exercise anywhere

It is very unlikely you will be allowed off the ship unless you are in a port of call or on a tour.

You will probably just have to walk around the deck and have a beer onboard.

When we booked two years ago the cruise itinerary was very clear it was a transit only unless you went on the ships excursion. I’m not sure if you can set up any private arrangements. I’m going to enjoy a day onboard, there will be a lot to see during the transit and as Bloodaxe says I will stretch my legs walking the top deck viewing side to side.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we booked two years ago the cruise itinerary was very clear it was a transit only unless you went on the ships excursion. I’m not sure if you can set up any private arrangements. I’m going to enjoy a day onboard, there will be a lot to see during the transit and as Bloodaxe says I will stretch my legs walking the top deck viewing side to side.

The transit is lovely, has we passed through a village the local band played us a tune(it was a weekend) and the ships horn joined in.

Has we passed through wooded area's cookoos where calling, something we rarely hear at home these days.

That sounds like a wonderful day, it’s a Thursday we go through, so it will be nice to see how they go about things through the week. It’s the one part of this cruise that’s not a repeat so I’m really looking forward to it.