Genoa to Florence: Train or Bus?

Jasalth

TIA for anyone who has done this!

We depart our cruise from Genoa, but due to how I chose to book our trip, we can't fly out of there but Florence instead. Good thing, we depart Florence the day after our cruise docks so have a ton of time and a hotel already booked.

Where my struggle comes in, is deciding to take the train or the Flixbus between the two.

We dock at 8 and taking the train I would rather get the 9:47 one as it gets to Florence at about 1:30 with a 15 minute change in Pisa. If that fails, we could get the 11:23 which gets us to Florence at about 3pm with a 30 minute change in Milan.

On the other hand the bus would be at 10 and get to Florence at 12:40.

Both are about the same price so that isn't even a consideration.

For anyone who has disembarked at Genoa, are these times reasonable? The bus station is also right by the train station (a little closer actually).

Alas the information I am finding isn't anything recent so hoping for any advice!

Whichever you decide to do I would not purchase the tickets in advance because your ability to get to the station on time is out of your hands. I can't imagine that there is any worry about either method selling out and the savings accrued from purchasing in advance are lost if you miss the bus or train.

I'm seeing pricing for the bus that's about half the cost of the train (last minute purchase) but neither is terribly expensive.

The benefits for the bus are a shorter trip (by about an hour, if both run to schedule) and no need to transfer, once you get on and sit down you don't have to do a thing until you arrive. Also, with the bus you stow your luggage in the hold under the carriage when you get on then it stays closed and locked for the entire trip so there's nothing for you to worry about.

The benefit of the train is a slightly larger seat (at least for the first segment) and the ability to get up and walk around. The major downside is that the second segment has no reserved seating but there's also the annoyance of getting on and off each train with your bags and finding a place to store them, then keeping your eyes on them for the entire trip.

On balance the bus sounds like the more convenient and easier option.

Agree with Euro. A big issue, for many folks, when using trains it how to handle your luggage. There is generally no help at European train stations so you must get your luggage through the station, onto the train, and stowed away somewhere on your car (be it on an overhead rack or at the end of the car where you need to be very vigilant about luggage thieves. And then you have to deal with that same process when you change trains. For us the bus would be the better option with the later train as a "Plan B."

Hank

The only 'advantage' of going by train that I can see is that you could in theory get out at Pisa and go and visit the tower. You would be having to be travelling quite light to do this.

Apart from that, the bus seems to be a great option. I would love to overnight in Florence.

TIA for anyone who has done this!

We depart our cruise from Genoa, but due to how I chose to book our trip, we can't fly out of there but Florence instead. Good thing, we depart Florence the day after our cruise docks so have a ton of time and a hotel already booked.

Where my struggle comes in, is deciding to take the train or the Flixbus between the two.

We dock at 8 and taking the train I would rather get the 9:47 one as it gets to Florence at about 1:30 with a 15 minute change in Pisa. If that fails, we could get the 11:23 which gets us to Florence at about 3pm with a 30 minute change in Milan.

On the other hand the bus would be at 10 and get to Florence at 12:40.

Both are about the same price so that isn't even a consideration.

For anyone who has disembarked at Genoa, are these times reasonable? The bus station is also right by the train station (a little closer actually).

Alas the information I am finding isn't anything recent so hoping for any advice!

Hi Jasalth,

We will be doing this exact same thing in the fall. We could not get reasonably priced airfare back to the states either, so after disembarking in Genoa we are also going to go to Florence for an overnight in order to fly home from there the next day.

I had only priced out train fares. So thank you for calling my attention to the bus. I will look into that. Please post your final thoughts after your trip and how successful it was.

I was also thinking of carrying luggage off of the ship to expedite this trip to Florence, but not sure that this will work.

Thank you all for the advice,

Originally I was leaning to the bus since it was quicker but I was worried about time. I am now 100% solid that we will be taking the bus.

I did think about trying to get off for an hour or two in Pisa to see some sites there since there is a luggage storage at the Pisa train station. Issue with that, is then we wouldn't be getting to Florence until about 6 pm, which essentially kills that day for us and we have to be at the airport by noon at the latest the next day.

For luggage I plan on only traveling with 2 rollers and 1 messenger bag and 1 medium sized cross body for 2 of us. Our "day" bags will be packed in luggage when we change cities at least. My husbands job is essentially playing Jenga with packages all day, so I am confident in his ability to get anything anywhere.

I had the same thoughts about the size of the seats, but then reality hit me again that I am only 5' and my husband is only 5'4. We don't need a ton of room, and why I was like.. oh yeah.. cattle class with flying is gonna be okay (especially saving thousands!)

Alas Rock, I will probably be on my cruise about the same time you will be unless you are going late late November as we won't be getting off in Genoa until November 15th.

Though I do agree with you it is crazy! Flying in and out of Genoa for us would have been about $3,300 round trip. Instead I found a travel agent that is listed on the airline that flies from the UNITED states that has me flying into Venice, a hotel for 3 nights there, 3 nights hotel in Rome, and the flying out of Florence on a Friday for $2,900 total. Sure, it is cattle class, but hey... for that price I will sit on my husbands lap for the full flights! But if I can I will post a quick not letting you know how the bus went!

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for the advice,

Originally I was leaning to the bus since it was quicker but I was worried about time. I am now 100% solid that we will be taking the bus.

I did think about trying to get off for an hour or two in Pisa to see some sites there since there is a luggage storage at the Pisa train station. Issue with that, is then we wouldn't be getting to Florence until about 6 pm, which essentially kills that day for us and we have to be at the airport by noon at the latest the next day.

For luggage I plan on only traveling with 2 rollers and 1 messenger bag and 1 medium sized cross body for 2 of us. Our "day" bags will be packed in luggage when we change cities at least. My husbands job is essentially playing Jenga with packages all day, so I am confident in his ability to get anything anywhere.

I had the same thoughts about the size of the seats, but then reality hit me again that I am only 5' and my husband is only 5'4. We don't need a ton of room, and why I was like.. oh yeah.. cattle class with flying is gonna be okay (especially saving thousands!)

Alas Rock, I will probably be on my cruise about the same time you will be unless you are going late late November as we won't be getting off in Genoa until November 15th.

Though I do agree with you it is crazy! Flying in and out of Genoa for us would have been about $3,300 round trip. Instead I found a travel agent that is listed on the airline that flies from the UNITED states that has me flying into Venice, a hotel for 3 nights there, 3 nights hotel in Rome, and the flying out of Florence on a Friday for $2,900 total. Sure, it is cattle class, but hey... for that price I will sit on my husbands lap for the full flights! But if I can I will post a quick not letting you know how the bus went!

LOL!! We are getting off in Genoa on Nov 17th.

Our plane leaves Florence the next day 11/18 at 1:35pm, so I was hoping to get out of Genoa and into Florence quick and early on the 17th so that we can see a couple of things before we have to fly home.

Hubby and I have never been to europe at all, so this will be a true adventure for us.