Nikon D810: Alaska Lens Recommendations?

Without knowing your specific plans, flexibility is key (you also may want to look up several threads on this topic also).

Were I to do an Alaska cruise tour now I would take

2 bodies

My Tamron 150-600 for denali mostly and maybe at sea

My Tamron 18-400 as general travel lens

My Sigma 24-105 art for landscapes and glacier bay and on ship

Possibly an ultrawide

If I wasn't doing Denali, I'd leave the 150-600 at home and instead of 2 nikon bodies I would have the Nikon and my sony a6000 with an 18-55 as a backup landscape. If no glacier bay or similar, probably no ultrawide.

Not much to go one here; but the obvious question is what do you have? or do you want a list of lens to purchase / rent? I returned in June I took 3 bodies D810 was one. Below is a break down of the percentage of shots I took with each lens. The 200-500 - somewhere around 97% where zoomed out to 500mm and I wish I had put the a teleconverter on. the 200-500 was used a lot in Glacier Bay, College Glaciers, Hubbard Glacier, lots of critters in the water, birds, and some on shore.

12-24 f/4 2%

24-70 f/2.8 34%

28-300 f3-5.6 8%

70-200 /f2.8 29%

105 f/2.8 1%

200-500 f/5.6 18%

15-30 f2.8 1%

Remaining 8% where with Canon G7X Mark II Power Shot

I went with a D610 and took only my 24-120, 70-300 and my 50 (and only that because it is so tiny and light). I used the 24-120 probably 75% of the time (with the 70-300 the other 25%. never took the 60 out of my cabin). Only wild life i saw was some whales while cruising one day and that is what i used the 70-300 for. I didn't do any excursions for wildlife (as it's not really my thing) so I honestly could have just used my 24-120 only in a pinch. But that is just my experience, others will have different ones.

The D810 is my main body, I've taken in on my last two trips.

Highly recommend:

Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 AFs

Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 AFs VRII or VRIII

Nikkor 300mm f/4 AFs better the new PF version.

I have tried the 200-500 Nikkor it's OK but I didn't buy it.

My big tip: Use a mono pod when able with any telephoto lens.

framer

Just got off the NCL Bliss Alaskan Maiden Voyage Cruise.

I took two DSLR bodies along with:

Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 - I used this for 90% of my wildlife

photos. Whales, bears, bald eagles, and seals were all shot between 500-600mm. Even so many of them didn’t fill the frame and I had to crop in afterward in Lightroom. There’s no way I would’ve captured them with a shorter lens. I even used the lens for a few landscape shots.

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 - This is an all purpose walkabout lens. I used this for the bulk of my shots when outdoors on excursions. It was one of two lenses that I took with me for my Northstar Trekking Helimush dogsled excursion on Norris glacier.

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 - I used this for many of my indoor photo while onboard the ship.

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 - I also used this for some interior shots as well as wide angle landscapes. It was the other lens I had for my dogsled excursion.

In addition I had a rain cover, speedlight, tripod that converted into a monopod, variable ND filters, and circular polarizers. Also dual and single QuickRapid straps. Just in case, I also brought a basic camera cleaning kit.

Most critical was that I brought MANY SD cards. It seemed like overkill but I found that I was filling them up quickly shooting everything with JPEG + RAW. I didn’t erase any of the cards during the cruise and backed them up nightly onto my laptop and external drive.

I also had a 360 camera that I used for onboard video footage a few times.

What I didn’t need to bring: I had a GoPro Hero 5 and a DJI Mavic Air drone that I never used. Every port in Alaska has frequent seaplane and helicopter traffic so drones are prohibited. However, I had a smartphone 3 axis gimbal that I never got around to using as well.

What would I do differently? Perhaps I could’ve left the 18-35 at home. At the time it was the newest lens in my collection so I felt compelled to bring it. In its place I could’ve brought an 8mm fisheye for some creative shots.

In my opinion the 150-600 was indispensable for the photos that I wanted. Perhaps even a 1.4x teleconvertor would have been handy to have in addition.

So at a bare minimum for Alaska I would recommend an extra long telephoto zoom like a 150-600 for the wildlife. Then a shorter zoom lens like the 18-135, 18-270, 18-300, or 18-400 could fill for the rest.

Edited by Motegi