Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 29

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, July 16 and Sunday, July 22.

Rules:

This isn't a contest. All photos are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacation and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera.

Share your fun with others.

The fun is your reward and it's a good one!

While walking down a Chicago side street on my way to the office, I was performing my normal mental inventory of the surroundings. You know...threats, things not to step in and of course, photo-ops. While no threats or non-steppables interrupted the journey, this bit of color grabbed my attention. I’m not a fan of litter. It shows a lack of self-respect in the people who do it and a lack of pride in those who fail to control it. That said, I had to thank the circumstances that left this patriotically decorated, partially full cup of beer (looked like beer) sitting on this bright red fire hydrant for an eye-catching splash of color in the middle of a concrete jungle.

A Trash of Color

p2982425856-5.jpg

Dave

Pictures taken between Monday, July 16 and Sunday, July 22.

Rules:

This isn't a contest. All photos are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacation and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera.

Share your fun with others.

The fun is your reward and it's a good one!

Is there going to be a picture thread for week 30?

Well I'm still working on week 29 here! My third and final 'catch-up' to the weekly threads, with some shots from July 21 here in the Florida wetlands:

A yellow-crowned night heron trying to sleep during the hot daytime, hiding in the shade of a cypress tree, and being annoyed by a nearby blue jay screaming his head off:

original.jpg

A red-bellied woodpecker, working on a palm tree:

original.jpg

The cute juvenile pied-billed grebe - very quickly the chicks grow to the size of the parent, given the full-grown birds are very tiny to begin with - but the juveniles still have much more color and stripes in their faces which give them away:

original.jpg

Here you can see the parent, on the left, being pursued by the chick on the right - the parent has just surfaced from a dive, and the chick assumes it's time to be fed:

original.jpg

A young green iguana perched in a tree - the younger ones have so much more vivid, bright green color than the adults:

original.jpg

Thank you. I have used a lot of different lenses over the years - some have come and gone with different cameras or systems...most of what I've shot over this past year has been with the same lens on my Sony A6300 - the Sony FE100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens. I sometimes pair it with the matched 1.4x Teleconverter too. This lens is a beauty, and I've actually sold off some other very good lenses for my DSLR system over the past year or two just because this lens matches or exceeds them, and the system is smaller and lighter to boot. I do still also have a Tamron 150-600mm lens, which was mostly for my DSLR, but I sometimes stick it on the A6300 just for fun...it's a good lens, but not as good as the 100-400mm.

Thank you. I have used a lot of different lenses over the years - some have come and gone with different cameras or systems...most of what I've shot over this past year has been with the same lens on my Sony A6300 - the Sony FE100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens. I sometimes pair it with the matched 1.4x Teleconverter too. This lens is a beauty, and I've actually sold off some other very good lenses for my DSLR system over the past year or two just because this lens matches or exceeds them, and the system is smaller and lighter to boot. I do still also have a Tamron 150-600mm lens, which was mostly for my DSLR, but I sometimes stick it on the A6300 just for fun...it's a good lens, but not as good as the 100-400mm.

Thanks! That lens is not something I would probably ever purchase, so I will have to live vicariously through your photos. Your portfolio is amazing. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went to Pulborough Brooks, well what water is left after our heatwave...so, not much about, got these though

Now you see me....

29848134468_95afcbf0e7_h.jpg

Now you don't

29848133308_4ce27ebf5c_b.jpg

Goldfinch

29848132778_c30a8c4fed_h.jpg

House Sparrow

29848135978_de0522e2df_k.jpg

Juvenile House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)

img