Toddlers and Car seats? Help!

Do people travel with car seats? Are they needed? I have seen so many yes and no answers, but I don't want to lug around 2 car seats if I don't have to. I'm thinking a baby carrier and small stroller are all that I will need. Please, any advise you can give on taking little ones would be extremely helpful. TIA!

We are traveling to the following ports:

Road Town, Virgin Islands

St. John's, Antigua & Barbuda

Basseterre, St. Kitts & Nevis

Fort de France, Martinique

Phillipsburg, St. Maarten

HI,

a stroller and carrier should be fine.....we have traveled with our son and his family several times and that has worked out well for them. For a while they had a baby backpack and our son carried the youngest on his back but they do a lot of traveling and the expense was worth it.

Note that most taxis in those areas do not have car seats so you will have to hold the children in your lap.

You did not mention the age of the children. How are you getting to the port? What do you plan on doing in the ports that may make a difference.

In Phillipsburg there is a beach in town that you really would not even need a stroller. Take the water taxi to town and just turn right or left and the beach is there. You can rent umbrellas and chairs. If you want to do shopping the stores are spread out so a stroller would be helpful. Or you can take turns watching the babies on the beach and go shopping on your own.

St Kitts the only beaches we have been to are about a 20-30 minute car ride.

Do what you feel comfortable doing so that you and your family will have fun,

Ive never traveled with a car seat. We typically use the airport shuttle to get from the hotel to the air port (between 2-5 miles) and then used a shuttle/uber/bus to get from the airport to the pier. We went last year on a bus to Galveston and he just sat in my lap the entire time. We never use them at the ports either. WAY TO HEAVY to carry around and impossible to go on excursions with plus depending on where you are going the transportation doesnt always have seat belts. When he was little (like 2) I used a Tula when off ship and while on the ship (typically from dinner on) we just used the BOB.

I think its a personal choice. Some people say that you need a car seat and you shouldnt travel without one .... others say you dont need it. Personally for me, I don't think they are needed and its a much bigger hassle than I could manage. We did go on one cruise that afterwards we stayed and vacationed in Galveston for 2 days and rented a car. In that instance we rented a carseat at the car rental place.

Just returned from Carnival Valor, with stops in Cozumel and Progreso. We easily carried our carseat and installed it in a taxi. It was not at all difficult to find a taxi that would "allow" us to do this. It took my husband about 1 min to install it. We have a bag for it that has shoulder straps, and he carried it from the pier to the taxi stand, no problem. We stored it in one of the closets.

Less is more. Most transportation does not have any way to fasten car seats into the vehicle. A couple of umbrella strollers are your best bets.

I disagree. We have found that most taxis have seat belts and that's all you need to fast a car seat into a vehicle.

• 4 weeks later...