75 Minute layover in Lisbon or Reykjavic?

lamb616

This will be my first trip to Europe and 75 minutes seems to be cutting it close, but from the US to Copenhagen, these are my only choices so far (looking at the budget carriers). Still waiting on WOW Air to release their flights but looks like they will have a similar layover in Reykjavic. So I was just wondering if one airport is better than the other in terms of having a short layover?

Thanks

They are both relatively small airports with a single passenger terminal and we would have no preference. However, if your budget airline involves a flight change then keep in mind that 75 minutes is not much time in the world of International Flights. You need to think about the "what ifs" such as what if your originating flight leaves 1 1/2 hours late? If you are flying-in a day or more early then all should be OK. Also check with your own cruise line for their air options since you can sometimes find an even better deal on a regular airline. Budget airlines like WOW can really "WOW" passengers with extra fees.

Hank

I can speak for Reykjavik and Icelandair. They have a very streamlined process and a small airport. Our flight was a little late from Denver and we simply got off one plane and walked onto the next. On the return we did a stopover which I highly recommend.

aaah, I didn't even think to check with the cruise line to see what flights they offered! this is going to be several days before getting on the cruise, so I'm not sure if that's even an option through the cruise line but at least i don't have to worry about being late for the cruise, even if we did end up missing our second flight. But I will check it out

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk

What do you all think about 1 hr. 50 min. layover in Frankfurt, on Lufthansa? does that sound preferable to the earlier ones i posted about?

This will be my first trip to Europe and 75 minutes seems to be cutting it close, but from the US to Copenhagen, these are my only choices so far (looking at the budget carriers). Still waiting on WOW Air to release their flights but looks like they will have a similar layover in Reykjavic. So I was just wondering if one airport is better than the other in terms of having a short layover?

Thanks

Reykjavic is in Icleand and beyond WOW and Icleandic you don't have much options. The plus to this airport is these two airlines are geared for connecting North America to Europe and operate their flights around that service.

Lisbon is the capital of Portugal. There is lots of flights in and out of Lisbon and its quite a busy airport for its size. If you miss a connection there are other options. I am assuming your traveling on TAP Air Portugal. They are star alliance member and partner extensively with other star airlines including Air Canada, Lufthansa and United. End result is if you miss you connection you will likely put you on another star airline or even an airline outside their alliance to get you home.

WOW is a discount airlines. If you miss the connection, they will put you on another WOW flight, but are unlikely to protection you onto a competitor.

Frankfort and London are the two largest airports in Europe. There is relatively more walking and potentially a terminal change to make your connection. Far more options and more flights should things get messed up but you need more time to make the connection.

Personalty I would go with the 75 minute in Lisbon or the 150 m in Germany. I have never flow through Iceland, it is probably fine but I have no first hand experience.

Reykjavic is in Icleand and beyond WOW and Icleandic you don't have much options. The plus to this airport is these two airlines are geared for connecting North America to Europe and operate their flights around that service.

Lisbon is the capital of Portugal. There is lots of flights in and out of Lisbon and its quite a busy airport for its size. If you miss a connection there are other options. I am assuming your traveling on TAP Air Portugal. They are star alliance member and partner extensively with other star airlines including Air Canada, Lufthansa and United. End result is if you miss you connection you will likely put you on another star airline or even an airline outside their alliance to get you home.

WOW is a discount airlines. If you miss the connection, they will put you on another WOW flight, but are unlikely to protection you onto a competitor.

Frankfort and London are the two largest airports in Europe. There is relatively more walking and potentially a terminal change to make your connection. Far more options and more flights should things get messed up but you need more time to make the connection.

Personalty I would go with the 75 minute in Lisbon or the 150 m in Germany. I have never flow through Iceland, it is probably fine but I have no first hand experience.

thanks, this helped alot. good point on better to be stuck in Lisbon needing a new flight vs. stuck in Iceland. and I like what you pointed out about TAP, so I booked the TAP flight thru Royal Caribbean. WAY cheaper than booking directly thru TAP. And as a bonus I never would have thought of, I used my Royal Caribbean cc so i will get double c.c. points to use on my cruise. I'm so glad I posted here. :)

What do you all think about 1 hr. 50 min. layover in Frankfurt, on Lufthansa? does that sound preferable to the earlier ones i posted about?

Frankfort is a very busy place. Personally we would rather change in Reykjavik or Lisbon :). For flights of that distance we take good look at the type aircraft and seating options....which sometimes will drive our decision.

Hank

Frankfort is a very busy place. Personally we would rather change in Reykjavik or Lisbon :). For flights of that distance we take good look at the type aircraft and seating options....which sometimes will drive our decision.

Hank

Now you’ve scared me. I have a 140 minute connection in Frankfurt two days from now.

Now you’ve scared me. I have a 140 minute connection in Frankfurt two days from now.

No intention to scare. 140 is certainly more then enough time. My point was meant to convey that Frankfurt is a major busy airport and we have never enjoyed their terminal. But its no worse or better then most major busy airports. Personally, when we have to change airports anywhere we prefer somewhat smaller and less busy venues. It is just on our own preference.

Hank