United. Positives and Negatives

casofilia

Air Canada was just running a big sale. Surprised you did not find anything through Toronto!

In February we went Bna- HKG, BANGKOK- BNA on AA with a Cathy Pacific leg. Fare ~ $5800.

Best fare we ever saw, which came up after we purchased was AA’s Oneworld partner Finnair. They run a lot of flights through Helsinki with layovers there. Saw BC tickets priced around $4400! So watch them.

I’m booked in economy and United wants over $5000 more to upgrade to business. I’m driving myself nuts over this...I just flew Frankfurt to BOS business for a much more reasonable price...yes I realize the flight was much shorter. Have been looking on Matrix for alternatives without luck. Any suggestions?

Not surprising at all, HKG-NYC is one of the most expensive routes in the world.

Fares of more than $10k USD return on CX in business class are very standard, with first class being more than triple that.

First a note, we fly with United because Newark is the closest airport to our home in NJ and United controls over 60% of the traffic at Newark. Just the way it is, not a lot of choices.

The bad, I got an email today about a schedule change for our flights to south Florida in January for a Cuba cruise. The original itinerary was LAS to IAH to FLL with a morning departure. The new itinerary was LAS to EWR to FLL, leaving earlier, arriving later than the original. Ummmm, I booked the trip with a connection in IAH because connections in EWR or ORD or DEN in the winter are always at risk of bad weather.....so I wanted to avoid them yet United stuck me right in there.

The good news, a short photo call the the United Premier line got it sorted out and we are now an early AM flight to IAH connecting to FLL so we actually get in 2 hours earlier than originally planned.

Moral to story, first, always check your bookings for changes, second, if you don't like the change, call and ask for something different.