Fort St Catherines beach - entrance fee?

michelle028

Hi Fellow Cruisers!

Quick question - planning to take the NCL ferry to St Georges. Was debating between Tobacco Bay Beach (which looks really small!) or go to Fort St Catherine beach.

For those of you who have been to both or either which one did you like better?

Also for Fort St Catherine Beach - is there an entrance fee to get in just to use the beach? Can you walk there from the ferry dock or is it better to take a taxi and if so how much would it cost?

Hi Fellow Cruisers!

Quick question - planning to take the NCL ferry to St Georges. Was debating between Tobacco Bay Beach (which looks really small!) or go to Fort St Catherine beach.

For those of you who have been to both or either which one did you like better?

Also for Fort St Catherine Beach - is there an entrance fee to get in just to use the beach? Can you walk there from the ferry dock or is it better to take a taxi and if so how much would it cost?

There is no entrance fee. Who would collect such? It is an abandoned beach. There are no bathroom or amenities. There are foundations being laid for condos and a hotel. Last time I was there, there were three other people and a dog. It was kind of creepy to me but some might like having a beach to themselves. See photo below. I walked there but I am one who walks a lot. This time of year it could be hot and humid conditions.

830780e404f1a3b9cbba004793770ea6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since both beaches are public, there are no entry fees.

TB has full amenities, FSC does not.

If you want to snorkel, TB is popular for that because it is well protected.

You could walk to either in 15 -20 minutes, but with the heat & humidity, it might be best to take a taxi (or shuttle, if running).

Taxi fare would be less than $10 to TB from King's Square plus tip, for up to 4 paxs, Mon - Sat travel.

My favorite beach would be Horseshoe Bay. Less travel time gives you more beach time.

SBtS

Since both beaches are public, there are no entry fees.

TB has full amenities, FSC does not.

If you want to snorkel, TB is popular for that because it is well protected.

You could walk to either in 15 -20 minutes, but with the heat & humidity, it might be best to take a taxi (or shuttle, if running).

Taxi fare would be less than $10 to TB from King's Square plus tip, for up to 4 paxs, Mon - Sat travel.

My favorite beach would be Horseshoe Bay. Less travel time gives you more beach time.

SBtS

To each their own but I don't know why people on ships docked at the Dockyard have St. Catherines Beach as it is now on their list. Horseshoe Bay and other South Shore beaches like Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Cove, are way better. Elbow Beach is way better. Back in the day when I was on ships that docked at St. George's I enjoyed St.Catherines, it was a moderate walk from the cruise ship dock and there was a concession there that then that is long gone. Docked at St. George's it made sense then over going to Horseshoe. Next time I am docked at St. George's (next year) I will probably go to Clearwater/Turtle Bay or John Smiths Bay, not St.Catherines. Someday when the hotel is built in 2021 or whenever, the beach will retain public access but none knows if there will be amenities available to the public. Last time I went I dropped by it was abandoned but the main reason I visited was to tour Fort St.Catherine. The fort is definitely worth visiting. Next to it is the Beach House at Blackbeards where I would have a beer. Going to the Fort and restaurant are the only reasons I would head out to Gates Bay currently. For those who do venture there don't expect shuttles or taxis to be readily available when you return. You might be able to get one at Fort St. Catherine if your timing is lucky. Tobacco Bay would be the likeliest place to find a taxi. ( Tobacco Bay I only go there to snorkel, I wouldn't spend hours on the beach there) Walking back the 20 minutes is definitely an option, it is not a difficult walk for people in decent shape but in July/August/September factor in heat and humidity.

My dh and I tried to walk to FSC past the unfinished church which is uphill from ferry. We ended up having the guy who sells water there flag us a taxi kind soul that he was. Not just the humidity but the narrow roadways turned us around to taxi being preferred mode of transportation.

We had lunch at the Beach House. They called a shuttle for us from the St George's club to take us back. It was free since we had lunch there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My plan is to take a taxi to Ft St Catherine and then walk to Tobacco Bay and then walk back to town. My question is if there are taxis readily available in St Georges and if they are willing to accept such a short fare?

If there are not taxis by the ferry dock when you arrive, it is a short walk to the town square. There is a taxi stand on the square on the corner where it intersects with Water Street. Taxis are usually available at that taxi stand. If not one sitting there taxis come often to pick up and drop off. (horse carriage ride also picks up there)

Edited by Charles4515

If there are not taxis by the ferry dock when you arrive, it is a short walk to the town square. There is a taxi stand on the square on the corner where it intersects with Water Street. Taxis are usually available at that taxi stand. If not one sitting there taxis come often to pick up and drop off. (horse carriage ride also picks up there

Thx for the info. Could you kindly provide directions from the St Georges ferry dock to the town square?

Thx for the info. Could you kindly provide directions from the St Georges ferry dock to the town square?

Walk up Pennos, that is the street both Penno’s Wharf and Hunters Wharf are marked with X’s on the map below. The ferry should dock at the X marked Hunter’s Wharf but it could dock at the other X next to it, Penno’s Wharf. Turn right on Water Street. Water Street is pedestrian only. It ends at the town square. (Kings Square)

d6fdbe40f94f1ce6f4655075cbccfd9f.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walk up Pennos, that is the street both Penno’s Wharf and Hunters Wharf are marked with X’s on the map below. The ferry should dock at the X marked Hunter’s Wharf but it could dock at the other X next to it, Penno’s Wharf. Turn right on Water Street. Water Street is pedestrian only. It ends at the town square. (Kings Square)

d6fdbe40f94f1ce6f4655075cbccfd9f.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have been so incredibly helpful!! Thanks!

There is a restaurant now at Fort St. Catherine's. I forget the name - Blackbeard's Hideout.

It's easy to walk back and forth between there and Tobacco Bay unless you are elderly or infirm. Less than 10 minutes for an able bodied person.

On our trip last week we walked back and forth between both beaches. Tobacco Bay gets VERY crowded because the sandy area is small. The beach and concessions are now better kept than when I last visited there 3-4 years ago.

You will find almost nobody on Fort St. Catherine beach. You can also look for sea glass there, as it's pretty easy to find. Sea glass is basically broken bottles smoothed out by the friction of the water and sand, but some people seem to be fascinated by it.