EZair Confusion--Interesting and Confusing!

rbslos18

I posted this on the Princess board and then realized posting it here may get a more definitive answer.

I had a crazy thing happen with EZair. The flights I wanted were listed on the Princess website as $786.37. The airline website had the fare at $463.00 for the exact same flight. When I called Princess to ask what's up, the Air Department said the airfare they were showing was $489.91, which I booked. Currently the website is still showing the $786.37.

I am perplexed! Can any of our Cruise Air Gurus explain what's going on?

Confused RB

I posted this on the Princess board and then realized posting it here may get a more definitive answer.

I had a crazy thing happen with EZair. The flights I wanted were listed on the Princess website as $786.37. The airline website had the fare at $463.00 for the exact same flight. When I called Princess to ask what's up, the Air Department said the airfare they were showing was $489.91, which I booked. Currently the website is still showing the $786.37.

Confused RB

EZAir is booking out of special inventory and pricing not available to the general public. It has special fare rules etc. They are basically buying at wholesale with some custom rules.

The website is offering what is offered to the general public. This is usually more expensive to EZAir but from time to time it is not.

Educated guess would be the airline your booking with is either running a seat sale or is discounting to compete with someone else running a seat sale.

Yes.

You paid $26.91 more for a ticket through EZAir, and you likely got one with more restrictions than had you bought directly through the airline.

But you obviously must have had a reason, even though it isn't clear to me from what you've posted.

Please explain. The main reason is the ability to cancel at no charge until full payment and guarantee to get us to the cruise in the event of an issue. BUT, we are leaving the day before....

My question was confusion as to why the EXair fare as posted was $320.00 more but when I called the air desk it was 30 dollars more.

Please explain your cryptic message...regarding more restrictions? Thanks for your patience!

RB

Yes.

You paid $26.91 more for a ticket through EZAir, and you likely got one with more restrictions than had you bought directly through the airline.

But you obviously must have had a reason, even though it isn't clear to me from what you've posted.

Please explain. The main reason is the ability to cancel at no charge until full payment and guarantee to get us to the cruise in the event of an issue. BUT, we are leaving the day before....

My question was confusion as to why the EXair fare as posted was $320.00 more but when I called the air desk it was 30 dollars more.

Please explain your cryptic message...regarding more restrictions? Thanks for your patience!

RB

A couple of examples of more restrictions:

Flight is canceled or severely delayed and you need to be rebooked, but YOUR ticket restricts rerouting, meaning you have to fly the exact route you booked; can't go through another hub.

Same, but YOUR ticket restricts endorsing the ticket to another airline.

Those who booked directly through the airline would likely have more options, and would likely have priority for rebooking.

You must be new here! Welcome!

I'm sorry you got sold on this largely bogus marketing spin. There is no situation room with reps following all their Cruise Air passengers and ensuring they get to their destination. LOL.

"Cruise Air" products are extremely opaque in terms of what you are buying, airlines sell all kinds of different tickets with different restrictions that can screw you over hard in the event of an issue. Did you get a copy of the fare rules? Doubtful. Do you even have a *ticketed* flight? (Different from a reservation) Doubtful at this stage.

Lots of people have recounted issues similar to those of the person above me. One person gave an extremely detailed account of how they were on a flight that was cancelled due to weather at their connection point, and whilst everyone on their flight was re-routed the airlines couldn't assist in rebooking other options because they forced into a specific routing due to their "Cruise Air" tickets. They ended up binning their trip and going home if I recall.

I cannot think of one reason to buy one of these fares unless you know exactly what the rules are for YOUR ticket (what someone else has, or what you ended up with in the past is of zero help) and you have some idea of a contingency plan in place. To think that you paid more for one of these things than a published fare directly through the airline is mindblowing.

FB:

I've been following this topic for years mostly behind the scenes. I don't agree with what you wrote. I try to hedge my bet by leaving a day early. There are mixed stories of how helpful Princess is in the event of a problem. Some are great others as the one you wrote are aggravating. Sometimes the airfare is too good to resist. Other times like for my flight the posted airfare was ridiculously high for a domestic fare. yet when I called the air desk, they had a fare that was $300 less than the one on the website. That's what made me curious.

In retrospect I should have booked directly with the airline and actually saved a little money.

RB