Check in Haven parents and non-Haven son

Amyobluebell

We are going on the Getaway December 23 with an extended family group. My husband and I are in a Haven Aft Penthouse and our 17 year old son said he would rather stay in a triple with his older cousins in a regular room than with us and forgo the Haven perks. My question is regarding check in. We did not make the reservation for his room, so should he check in with the cousins or with us? I'm a little concerned because he has a different last name from any of us. I have full legal and physical custody but considering he is a minor, I don't want him to have any problems getting on the ship. Maybe I should call NCL... ?

^^^ Yes, book your 17 year old with you and let him just sleep in the other cabin if he chooses. You are forfeiting great Haven perks, like him eating in the Haven dining room with you for free, him being able to hang out with you in the courtyard, being able to come and go thru the Haven as he wants.

Let him sleep wherever he wants but book him with you for the rights to be in the haven as you/he want. I have a 17 year old, I know they want to exert independence but this is not the time. This is the time to book him in your room but then let him sleep wherever he wants.

So I can't answer specifically to NCL, as my similar experience was a different line, but we did need to do this. We were booked in the OS, and our 16 yo daughter was booked in with our friends daughter, not in a suite. We didn't check in at the same time as our friends, and weren't going to leave our 16 yo on her own, obviously. We just brought her with us to check in, explained the situation, and they allowed her to check in and board with us. Added difference that my hubby had a knee injury and was getting assisted boarding.

It was funny, cuz the older gentlemen assigned to wheel my hubby aboard was trying to tell us our daughter couldn't board with us, and the lady at the counter kept telling him "she's a minor, of course she's staying with her parents. You will board them together" So it's probably one of those, "it depends on who you get" moments.

Hello! In 2016 I cruised with my sister and brother-in-law (the Haven folks), and I was booked in a non-Haven room. They called NCL and asked if it was possible for me to check in with them. Apparently they were able to have the concierge assist in making this happen. It was a bit of a hassle during check-in, but they made it happen. I wish I had more specifics, but it wouldn't hurt to call NCL and ask what they can do to help you out.

Since he is a minor, you should absolutely insist that he be allowed to board with you. It is one thing when people pay for one haven suite and want their entire party of adults to board with them. Common sense dictates that your son should be allowed to board with you.

We are going on the Getaway December 23 with an extended family group. My husband and I are in a Haven Aft Penthouse and our 17 year old son said he would rather stay in a triple with his older cousins in a regular room than with us and forgo the Haven perks. My question is regarding check in. We did not make the reservation for his room, so should he check in with the cousins or with us? I'm a little concerned because he has a different last name from any of us. I have full legal and physical custody but considering he is a minor, I don't want him to have any problems getting on the ship. Maybe I should call NCL... ?

One other thing... the rest of our group of 15 is also non-Haven, so we probably won't be spending a lot of time there anyway. Wouldn't it cost a lot more to add him to our room?

I’m guessing you are past the final payment date? It may be harder to move him now than it would have been before the final payment due date.

But generally I’ve noticed that the price for the 3/4 person in a room is the same price regardless of the cabin category (one difference in your situation is I think the DSC is higher in the Haven rooms).

Yes, your minor son will be able to board with you. NCL does not separate parents from their children during boarding even if the parents are in the Haven.

However, does your son not want to board with his cousins since they are rooming together and eating together? Does your son not want to meet up with them immediately after boarding? If that is the case, its odd to separate them during boarding. Have you asked your son? Maybe he prefers to board with his cousins?

Edited by david_sobe