NY parking at pier

mag19

We are considering a cruise out of New York on the GEM in Jan/Feb 2020 . We have sailed out of Baltimore and Banyan but never out of New York and was wondering how hard it is to get to the pier we will be driving from Ohio

THANKS

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

Welcome to New York! I have driven in several times and have expert driving instructions I will link here later. have you looked at your route? Questions:

Will you be staying overnight somewhere near to New York City? Tell me the area so I can choose directions based on New Jersey or Westchester.

What day of the week do you start your cruise? Weekdays are, err, more challenging based on traffic volume. Route is still reasonable but you will need to allow more time.

Even on a weekend, though, an accident or construction can snarl things up. I had an extra hour of travel time with the ship practically in sight but sitting still on the west side highway. So go early even if it means you will be sitting in the boarding area a while.

overall it's not hard to access , it's right at the end of the west side highway there is the usual big city traffic depending on time and day. what aggravates me the most is speed cameras, red light cameras and traffic agents lurking at corners just waiting to issue summonses. it's all a money grab.

we find it all very easy in and easy out. its secure, convenient adn worth every penny to park there IMO.

It is funny how different things are from one area to the next. If you told people here in southern GA that it would be $40/day to park anywhere, they would have a heart attack! :')

so true. Its like drinks. $8 to $10 a drink is pretty much par for the course here in the boston area. i always read on here that people are shocked at the drink prices on board which are fairly comparable to our land prices.

that said, $40 a day to park is obscene, but its the going rate. and nothing like walking right off teh ship adn into your car AND know yoru car is safe in NYC while you area away.

An alternative to parking at the cruise pier is to park at Pier 83. It's the Circle Cruise Line Sightseeing pier and they have weekly parking available. It's $200 for the week, so about $80 cheaper than parking at the cruise pier and it's only about 3 blocks away. Very easy walk from the ship. It's also easy in and out self-parking. Only downside is that there is a 50/50 chance you will be in un-covered parking since the garage is two stories and the upper level is exposed to the elements. We parked there for our cruise in June and it went super smooth.

Since you are coming in from Ohio, I would stay at one of the Park,Stay and Cruise hotels in Jersey. You spend the night and you can leave you car there for the week. They also supply transportation to and from the pier. The price isn't much more than parking at the pier. Not as convenient as parking at the pier but it is pretty damn close.

We are considering a cruise out of New York on the GEM in Jan/Feb 2020 . We have sailed out of Baltimore and Banyan but never out of New York and was wondering how hard it is to get to the pier we will be driving from Ohio

THANKS

We came from Ohio in May and cruised the Escape. It is much easier to access from the North. I would HIGHLY recommend staying in Parsippany, NJ. We stayed in the Hyatt House - Parsippany East. We got an unbelievable rate on the weekend. The rooms were clean and very large. There is a restaurant named Annabellas that was very very good. Coming into NY, just go across the GW bridge and come down the hudson parkway. Follow the signs for the cruise terminal. Very easy but don't have drugs... they use a dog.

I live upstate and find it’s cheaper to rent a car. You can rent a car near your home, drop it off in the city, and pick up a new car for the return trip. Cost runs around $100 per leg depending on where you are picking up. Also, make sure the company doesn’t charge an additional drop fee (a charge for returning the car to a different location).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

so true. Its like drinks. $8 to $10 a drink is pretty much par for the course here in the boston area. i always read on here that people are shocked at the drink prices on board which are fairly comparable to our land prices.

that said, $40 a day to park is obscene, but its the going rate. and nothing like walking right off teh ship adn into your car AND know yoru car is safe in NYC while you area away.

People here were upset when our airport increased the long-term parking, which is in a covered garage a few hundred feet from the terminal, from $7/day to $8/day. :')

So it's 280 for the week. while that is OBSCENE it is a price to pay for convenience. Guess it's something to factor in to the overall price of the cruise. We are leaving on the Gem on July 14th and staying overnight at the Watson Hotel. Next time I think I will stay at the park in stay hotels.

I priced out flying to NYC (I live in Rochester, NY) and taking ground transportation from the airport to the pier. It was much more expensive total. And while it's a long-ish drive for us (about 5.5 hours), if we were to fly, by the time we got to the airport two hours early, flew, and took our ground transportation, we'd be at around 4 hours anyway. So as expensive as parking is, it beats the alternative. And don't even get me started on how expensive and time consuming a train would be.....

I priced out flying to NYC (I live in Rochester, NY) and taking ground transportation from the airport to the pier. It was much more expensive total. And while it's a long-ish drive for us (about 5.5 hours), if we were to fly, by the time we got to the airport two hours early, flew, and took our ground transportation, we'd be at around 4 hours anyway. So as expensive as parking is, it beats the alternative. And don't even get me started on how expensive and time consuming a train would be.....

We are in Rochester too and have discovered taking Yankee Trails Bus (Cruise Express) from Albany Area (Rensselaer) to the Manhattan Cruise terminal. We park at the Bus Station (Free and in a safe semi-rural type area) Bus drops you off right at the terminal and it is very convenient since you won't need to handle any checked luggage again until it is delivered to your cabin. Cost is about $95.00 per person. Works out perfectly for us.

We are in Rochester too and have discovered taking Yankee Trails Bus (Cruise Express) from Albany Area (Rensselaer) to the Manhattan Cruise terminal. We park at the Bus Station (Free and in a safe semi-rural type area) Bus drops you off right at the terminal and it is very convenient since you won't need to handle any checked luggage again until it is delivered to your cabin. Cost is about $95.00 per person. Works out perfectly for us.

$95 per person doesn't make it any cheaper than $200 for parking at Pier 83 for us. Though I guess if you count tolls it's a little bit of a savings.

Also Albany means way out of the way...

$95 per person doesn't make it any cheaper than $200 for parking at Pier 83 for us. Though I guess if you count tolls it's a little bit of a savings.

Also Albany means way out of the way...

For us the convenience of not needing to drive into or park anywhere in NYC makes it worth doing. And while getting to NYC as the crow flies makes Albany "way out of the way" my personal wings aren't functioning that well lately :)

For us the convenience of not needing to drive into or park anywhere in NYC makes it worth doing. And while getting to NYC as the crow flies makes Albany "way out of the way" my personal wings aren't functioning that well lately :)

I can definitely empathize with not wanting to drive in NYC. And I guess "way out of the way" is a bit of an exaggeration, but through PA in NJ is definitely a good 30-40 minutes quicker.

Here's your typical Manhattan parking rates, SUV & minivans, or pickups and oversized vehicles come with another $10 daily surcharge, making it $60 a day or more.

$40 a day all inclusive is a fair deal in NYC in 2018, rate has not gone up in 2 years+. Plus, it is quite secured. Winter parking on the rooftop, just have the shovel ready in case, they will plow the path to the exit.

98a45266f4f1f1ea6ed2c8b8e4b82abf.jpg

aaf0db874c8bfd8c6a313fb29c1e6e86.jpg

NY Waterway's ferry terminal across the Hudson River has parking facilities, it is an option - numerous threads on East Coast forum here about how to's, along with those park-n-stay deals ... nothing beats however, a fast track beyond CBP downstairs to level 3 for a quick getaway to head home post-cruise.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

For anyone considering Pier 83, it is the pier on the other side of the Intrepid from the cruise pier (the Intrepid is the battleship you can see in mking8288's photo). Also, I drive a Jeep Cherokee, which meets most NYC garage's definition of an "oversized" vehicle but I was not charged any extra over the $200 I prepaid for the week.

Here's the link I promised for driving to the Cruise Terminal Parking.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AncGsaIw0XV7god0y279jju0dNwOzw

It's a PDF I shared from my MS OneDrive. It has instructions for coming from either upstate NY via I-87 or from NJ on I-80 which you will be doing. I also stayed in Parsippany as another poster suggested. We stayed at the Soneseta ES Suites, and it was very nice at a very good price.

If you have questions about the drive after reading my document just ask. It can be helpful to "drive the route" in Google Streetview too.

Here's the link I promised for driving to the Cruise Terminal Parking.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AncGsaIw0XV7god0y279jju0dNwOzw

It's a PDF I shared from my MS OneDrive. It has instructions for coming from either upstate NY via I-87 or from NJ on I-80 which you will be doing. I also stayed in Parsippany as another poster suggested. We stayed at the Soneseta ES Suites, and it was very nice at a very good price.

If you have questions about the drive after reading my document just ask. It can be helpful to "drive the route" in Google Streetview too.

Thanks. Still a long way off but I appreciate it!

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this is the closest I could find to ask my question without starting a new one.

We have sailed out of NYC many times with NCL. This is the first time we are thinking of using the pier parking. Has anyone experienced getting to the parking area to find it full? My main concern is that we are sailing on the Gem on the 26th of Nov. and it is a Monday. We will also have an oversized vehicle (Suburban) and probably won't be able to make it to the pier until at least noon.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Sorry to bring up an old thread but this is the closest I could find to ask my question without starting a new one.

We have sailed out of NYC many times with NCL. This is the first time we are thinking of using the pier parking. Has anyone experienced getting to the parking area to find it full? My main concern is that we are sailing on the Gem on the 26th of Nov. and it is a Monday. We will also have an oversized vehicle (Suburban) and probably won't be able to make it to the pier until at least noon.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

When I sailed on the Gem in June and for my upcoming sailing on the Escape in October, I pre-booked parking at Pier 83 through Spot Hero. It's not right AT the cruise pier... I'd say it's about 2 blocks away? But it gave me peace of mind knowing I had it pre-booked, plus it's a little cheaper than parking directly at the pier. Our experience there in June went super smoothly, so I am expecting next month to go the same.