Ncl gem

PEB

Yesterday we booked the Gem for a B2B Canada New England cruise for Oct 2019. I have cruised on many cruise lines but it has been about 16 years since I was a passenger on NCL. I did work on NCL Pride of Aloha and Pride of America over 10 years ago. Seeing we booked the Gem I went to Yourtube to check out some video's and for the most part was pleased with the exception of 1 video. This video was from a January 2018 cruise and showed water leaking in a hallway from the lights and water seeping into a room. It was in a storm at the time. I guess my question is what kind of shape do you consider the Gem to be in?

Another question would be what may be your favorite place on the Gem?

Thank you for any responses you may have.

We have sailed the Gem twice, most recently was March 2018. The Gem is not new, and like most ships we have sailed, occasionally has issues. We didn’t notice any issues from the Jan 2018 water when we sailed two months later.

We love the Gem, it’s a nice size and the crew is amazing. Some of our favourite spots are the Great Outdoors buffet and eating area at the back of the ship, the forward lounge, and the pool deck! The games room was popular with our boys on our last cruise, they enjoyed the board games that were available and it was a great way to pass time when the weather was not so nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NCL's Jewel class ships are some of the best designed at sea. Great Outdoors is a fantastic space and the ship is the perfect size at almost 100,000 tons. They all look great after their refurbs too. Not a lot of bells and whistles like the newer mega ships, but not over 4,000 people either.

I sailed on Gem in July 2018. It has been refurbished and it's a great ship. I didn't notice the issue that you indicated and we had a couple periods of rain. We love Great Outdoors and O'Sheehans.

You have to be reasonable and figure at any time, any ship, home or car can have a break down of some type. The larger the mechanics the bigger the disaster/repair.

The Bridge Observation room it is very cool! One of my favorite things to do on the Gem is go check out what's going on in the Bridge. They also have some nifty gadgets in the room that will show you current conditions, expected eta's etc, If you want a more accurate arrival time go check those gadgets out they often say something different then the posted schedule.

Back to back's are great! Enjoy your cruise!

I was on the Gem in June. It is an older ship and shows its age in some things, but seemed well maintained to me. Favorite spots for us were the Spinnaker Lounge and the live entertainment area next to Magnum's. That whole strip with Whiskey bar, Martini bar, and Champagne bar is a really nice little area and the live performers there were great.

We were on a Canada & New England sailing, so we didn't get to enjoy the Great Outdoors area very much, as it was quite chilly for most of our cruise, but I could see how it would be great when the weather is nice!

Nice to read some updates on the Gem as it's been years since we were on her. We are looking at summer cruises out of Boston next year.

Question, do all the Mini-suites on the Gem have the shower/tub combination? We would be interested in a Mini but only with a shower as we dislike that combo tub.

NCL's Jewel class ships are some of the best designed at sea. Great Outdoors is a fantastic space and the ship is the perfect size at almost 100,000 tons. They all look great after their refurbs too. Not a lot of bells and whistles like the newer mega ships, but not over 4,000 people either.
I totally agree, as I love the Pearl and Jewel. Unfortunately on my December cruise they change it to the Breakaway, which will be my first time on one of the big ships...hope I like it, but I know I won't like the 4,000 other folks on the ship. Love the Great Outdoors on Jewel class ships; they have the best cookies around 3:30, especially the oatmeal raisin ones.!

Yesterday we booked the Gem for a B2B Canada New England cruise for Oct 2019. I have cruised on many cruise lines but it has been about 16 years since I was a passenger on NCL. I did work on NCL Pride of Aloha and Pride of America over 10 years ago. Seeing we booked the Gem I went to Yourtube to check out some video's and for the most part was pleased with the exception of 1 video. This video was from a January 2018 cruise and showed water leaking in a hallway from the lights and water seeping into a room. It was in a storm at the time. I guess my question is what kind of shape do you consider the Gem to be in?

just got off this ship and this cruise itinerary, look at my posts for how to cruise on the cheap including the $8.60 tour pass for quebec city

I’m on the Gem now. I picked up these cruises on the price dump rack. I won’t book ahead since this is my preference they have been on sale for several past seasons.

I think this is just a figure of speech, but where do you find the last minute deals, thanks

I was on the Gem last year and it was lovely. It had a dry dock a few years ago and the refresh looked good. Staff were amazing, heaps friendly across the whole ship.

As other said the great outdoors is amazing for an arvo cocktail or 3 for sail away. Spinnaker lounge is great too. The Gem was a great size not too big and not too small. You’ll love it, enjoy the cruise

We were on the Gem 3 times . in my opinion the only good thing about the Gem was when Leo Josten was an entertainer on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Jamie, we will be on the Gem in a couple of weeks. I am looking to pre book some specialty dinners. Do you recall what Time most of the live entertainment started?Much thanks in advance. Trus D.

I was on the Gem in June. It is an older ship and shows its age in some things, but seemed well maintained to me. Favorite spots for us were the Spinnaker Lounge and the live entertainment area next to Magnum's. That whole strip with Whiskey bar, Martini bar, and Champagne bar is a really nice little area and the live performers there were great.

We were on a Canada & New England sailing, so we didn't get to enjoy the Great Outdoors area very much, as it was quite chilly for most of our cruise, but I could see how it would be great when the weather is nice!

Jamie, we will be on the Gem in a couple of weeks. I am looking to pre book some specialty dinners. Do you recall what Time most of the live entertainment started?Much thanks in advance. Trus D.

IIRC, the main shows were at 7:00 and 9:00. I can double-check my dailies when I get home.

I think this is just a figure of speech, but where do you find the last minute deals, thanks

I sailed NCL Gem 09/08th - 09/28th ... B2B New England/Canada cruises. On the NCL website ...about 7 - 10 days after I booked my cruise, price for EACH cruise went to $399 .... before taxes/port fees ... but still! I paid a good price ... I still feel that way ... but of course, would have loved getting the $399 price.