Panama Canal in Star Garden Villa?

Tantsee

Have you ever cruised the Panama Canal in a Garden Villa on the Star (or Dawn)? We booked the Deluxe Owner's Suite specifically for the "front row seats". We now have the opportunity to bid on an upgrade to the 3-bedroom Garden Villa. While it looks amazing, it doesn't look like there would be much of a view going through the canal because of the suite's midship location. Am I right? Would the view be any better from the suite's upper deck, or is your whole view pretty much blocked by the pool area (i.e. the tiered sunning area)? I am so tempted to bid, but my husband thinks it would be a mistake if we ended up winning. I would love to hear opinions from anyone who has experienced this.

Have you ever cruised the Panama Canal in a Garden Villa on the Star (or Dawn)? We booked the Deluxe Owner's Suite specifically for the "front row seats". We now have the opportunity to bid on an upgrade to the 3-bedroom Garden Villa. While it looks amazing, it doesn't look like there would be much of a view going through the canal because of the suite's midship location. Am I right? Would the view be any better from the suite's upper deck, or is your whole view pretty much blocked by the pool area (i.e. the tiered sunning area)? I am so tempted to bid, but my husband thinks it would be a mistake if we ended up winning. I would love to hear opinions from anyone who has experienced this.

We have done the Panama Canal in a GV but not on the Dawn or Star. We have traveled in the GV on the Dawn and The Star. They would be amazing going through the canal. Go for it.

They would be amazing going through the canal.

Thank you for the reply. From what you recall, would there be any kind of forward view of the locks from either the living room or the outside deck above? It is probably a moot point, because the odds of winning are pretty slim based on what I'm willing to bid. However, it is still a lot of money for us, so I want to make an informed decision.

The Garden Villas on both the STAR and the DAWN have fore and aft views blocked by the ships structure.

Great cabins and with the open deck 15 you will have a view that no others will have unless you invite them.

But sadly the view forward is blocked by the pool; Bimini Bar and the forecastle mast and navigation gear.

The view aft is worse as there is none - you are blockheaded by the basketball courts and the

engine ventilation maintenance area aft of the BB courts.

FORWARD -

Deck 14 has limited access - usually none guests are removed from this area by security.

Deck 13 has the Bimini Bar (DAWN) facing the pool with limited access forward

Deck 13 has great viewing but is hampered by the glass wind deflection panels.

Deck 13 has stacked tiered lounge areas but no advantage in viewing.

The Deluxe Owners Suites forward deck 12 do not have balcony viewing but they do have a great view.

Deck 11 is the Bridge.

Decks 10 and 9 have Forward Penthouse suites all with great views.

On Deck 8 there is a narrow passageway to the crew recreation area on the bow - this is opened for

guest use while transiting the PC.

Rest of the below decks are ship structure - nothing to see here folks not a droid viewing area.

If you are in the GV (deck 14) go down one deck to 13 and walk forward to these viewing areas

OR walk aft and go back up one deck (14) where the Helicopter pad is for viewing - you will

be looking down on the kiddie pool (deck 12) - and the kiddie pool is not a bad viewing area but is

limited in capacity - to get there go aft from the Buffet.

For picture reference view this LINK: and on the banner bar click on PIC

For the DAWN:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Dawn

For the STAR:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Norwegian-Star

Can't get up to the viewing area bring a selfie stick or mono pod device.

X X X X X

Now as for Upgrading/Bidding on the GV - nothing ventured nothing gained !

Bid what you can afford and give it a shot.

Although viewing of the PC is the Prime reason for this cruise you are only there for

one day out of the normal 14 day cruise and consider the GV is composed of two

suites if you are in the starboard suite 14000 your view of the port side will be limited

and v-v for suite 14500 port side.

We did the Panama Canal in the GV on the Star in 2015. It was amazing! You may not have the “bow view”, but the upper deck is huge and you have great views. You have the area all to yourself and you can come and go as you please during the transit, without worrying about losing your spot. The butler would probably even bring you lunch up there if you asked. We didn’t, we just went inside to eat and cool off.

I’ll post a few pictures later.

We did the Panama Canal in the GV on the Star in 2015. It was amazing! You may not have the “bow view”, but the upper deck is huge and you have great views. You have the area all to yourself and you can come and go as you please during the transit, without worrying about losing your spot. The butler would probably even bring you lunch up there if you asked. We didn’t, we just went inside to eat and cool off.

I’ll post a few pictures later.

Here are the pics:

E27D99E4-6CBA-48DD-B04C-72C943C5EC4D.jpeg.4efb33e898035313eeaf5ac451d3a908.jpeg

Thank you both for your replies. All of your comments are very compelling, unfortunately for both sides equally. lol

My husband is almost 80 years old and just wants a quiet, peaceful view from the comfort of our room, which we clearly have with the DOS. He is certain now that he is right (that we should keep our DOS), based on the view being "blocked by the ship's structure", etc., whereas I am convinced that I am right (to bid on the GV) because of having the huge upper deck to ourselves, and not losing our spot when we want to go inside for a minute. Decisions, decisions...

Thank you both for your replies. All of your comments are very compelling, unfortunately for both sides equally. lol

My husband is almost 80 years old and just wants a quiet, peaceful view from the comfort of our room, which we clearly have with the DOS. He is certain now that he is right (that we should keep our DOS), based on the view being "blocked by the ship's structure", etc., whereas I am convinced that I am right (to bid on the GV) because of having the huge upper deck to ourselves, and not losing our spot when we want to go inside for a minute. Decisions, decisions...

We wouldn't want a mid-ship GV for the Panama Canal.

We wouldn't want that at all, actually, given the view of the pool deck, and music... making the outdoor areas a bit, er, less than relaxing (for us).

But something at the very front of the ship? WE LOVE THOSE.

And *especially* for the Panama Canal?

Yes!

As for the DOS, if this is the same as on the Dawn, then... there is no balcony.

OTOH, you might not want to be outside too long in that hot sun!

The view is the same as what the Captain sees, and it's amazing!

Also, again, assuming it's the same as on the Dawn, there is the what-we-called the "flying buttress" (in jest), which is the section that juts out over the side of the ship. You can look all the way back down the side of the ship, which is an interesting view.

But this would also provide quite a view of the canal as well!

We haven't yet taken a full Canal transit, but it's definitely on our 'list', and we'll do it, somehow, from a cabin/suite at the front of the ship.

We won't want to be jockeying for position at particularly interesting points, not for something that interesting, and a once-in-a-lifetime experience as well.

And we, too (me, especially, given a medical issue), would prefer to 'just sit and watch', which will be easy from the DOS, and not very likely in a crowded public area.

If you want to sit and enjoy (and have your Butler bring you snacks/lunch/beverages), and do NOT need a balcony, then that DOS would be great. You can sit almost in front of the windows (they slant inward, so it won't be like you are pressing your nose against a vertical window, at least not the forward view), but you'll have an unobstructed view to three full sides, given that you can also look backwards (but you can't see "behind" the ship, of course).

Our DOS had some fogged up areas of the front windows, but there were plenty of those floor to ceiling windows that were nice and clear, too.

Just turn the AC way cool from the start. Those windows in the sun can cause the suite to heat up, so don't let it get out of control. We just made sure to keep the thermostat set nice and low.

Enjoy!

GC

I would do this: Bid on GV. If you get it, great. If you don't, great too.

If you do, meet whoever booked your old suite. Ask if they would let you join them for transit in exchange for a fun party in the GV. Either outside on your private courtyard or inside with the piano. This works if both suites are socially outgoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would do this: Bid on GV. If you get it, great. If you don't, great too.

If you do, meet whoever booked your old suite. Ask if they would let you join them for transit in exchange for a fun party in the GV. Either outside on your private courtyard or inside with the piano. This works if both suites are socially outgoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a great idea! :)

If they say "no", there's very little lost!

GC

You will want to get OUT of the cabin and roam about the ship to "take it all in"...there are views EVERYWHERE, and different deck levels give you a different perspective. Please don't sit on your balcony for the entire trip thru the canal!

If they stay with the DOS on Star, those rooms don't have a balcony.

Thank you again, everyone, for your replies. We had the DOS on another Star cruise and loved it! GeezerCouple, I believe it is exactly the same as the Dawn and you are right -- the view can't be beat! We really didn't even miss the balcony. Granted, a balcony would be nice for a Panama Canal cruise, but the wall-to-wall windows will make up for it. Sadly, after 30+ cruises, this will likely be our last. We decided to stick with what we know we like (the DOS) and use the money we save by not upgrading to do more fun things. Husband is relieved with this decision and I am OK with it. I truly appreciate everyone's input. It really helped us to come to a conclusion that makes us both happy.

Thank you for the reply. From what you recall, would there be any kind of forward view of the locks from either the living room or the outside deck above? It is probably a moot point, because the odds of winning are pretty slim based on what I'm willing to bid. However, it is still a lot of money for us, so I want to make an informed decision.

I don't think we could see directly in front of us. We kept the TV on all day and it was the camera with views of the front. We did go down there once and came right back up to the room. The process takes several hours and we did get out and view it from several areas but always decided the best views and most comfortable place was our deck. At times we were close enough and talked to the workers on the dock.