2020 Getaway Eastern Mediterranean questions

tychux72

Finished 1st cruise to W. Caribbean on Getaway this past June. Loved it so much we just booked a 2020 trip to East Med. on Getaway for 11 nights from Rome. We’ve never been to Europe and need suggestions. There are 8 passengers total.

*Is 3 days before cruise enough time to enjoy Rome?

*Any MUST DO’s in Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, etc?

*Would it be advisable to fly home the day of disembarkation?

*Best connection airports in Europe-coming from west coast.

*Best transportation options in Rome?

Thanks in advance.

You will have. many answers and opinions. Here are my thoughts. Eight people is a great number to have. You can use one of the private touring companies and fill one van. This way you control what you see, Three days is a good amount to scratch the surface...you will never see it all, especially combined with jet lag.

If there is a chance you fly Aire Lingus and your stopover is in Dublin you will clear customs for your and your luggage at this point. Then when you arrive at your USA destination you just walk off the plane and that is it. This was a big benefit for us.

Have fun planning.

Rome is one of those places where 3 days is certainly not enough, but then 3 months wouldn't be either. You can certainly see a lot in three days, and that is probably longer than most will have there. I'd say it's a sensible amount of time pre cruise.

I can't help too much with those particular ports. We just got the train into Athens and wandered around when we went there. Lots to see, but most people prefer taking a tour. Santorini sounds like a nightmare on a ship like the Getaway, as it is busy enough getting off and onshore with a smaller ship. I think I would either take an NCL tour or stay onboard. Mykonos is quite nice, but nothing particularly exciting, in my opinion.

That sounds like I am quite negative about this itinerary, but Santorini and Mykonos would be by far my least favourite in the itinerary. There are some other really nice ports there.

I don't see any reason for not flying home on disembarkation day. Just be aware that it is a little journey to the airport.

For a group your size, I would have thought that some form of private transfer would be the best idea. I usually recommend using the train, as it is a lot cheaper, but with your group that may not be the case. Certainly for getting from the port to the airport on disembarkation day it saves having to go into the city.

First Transportation. its 14 euros per person for the Leonardo express from airport to main train station in Rome. So for a party of 8 that 112 euros, how far the hotel is from the train station unknown so that's a call for you to decide. Getting from Rome main train station to the train station in Civitavecchia is about 13 euros for 1st class on the Frecce with advance purchase and non refundable.

You are probably better off asking specific questions in the appropriate port forum, like Italy ports.

Edited by Voelfgar
update

• 6 months later...

Hopping on this older thread to ask about this: the Getaway has some similar itineraries starting in about June 2020 and extending through the summer.  Ideally I'd like to sail in July (kids are still in school in June), but oddly by that time the Getaway skips Athens and instead goes to Cannes at the end of the itinerary.  (Why???)  Am I nuts for thinking that Athens is a better port than Cannes, and I should sail in June for that reason?  

I should also note that b/c we have kids, I thought the Getaway might interest them more than the Dawn which does similar itineraries but from Venice.  But I am a bit worried about a massive ship in some of the ports.

Edited by kodesthemoose

On 9/25/2018 at 11:56 PM, tychux72 said:

*Is 3 days before cruise enough time to enjoy Rome?

I would do 3 nights (4 days). As another poster said, you could spend endless time in Rome and still have things to see, but I did 3 nights and managed to get most of the good stuff in, plus have some leisure time too. Plus, don't forget, the ride to the port is pretty long from Rome, so you can pretty much cross off embark day in Rome from your list.

As for going home on debark day...why not. If you can find a flight out that meets your schedule and start your journey, why not just Get the Hell Out of Dodge. You'll have been away for almost 2 weeks by the time the cruise is over, I would just want my own bed by that point.