Platinum Plus Perks

This is my first cruise as Platinum Plus, will be sailing on the Breakaway in January 2019. how does the priority restaurant and entertainment seating work? I have never used concierge service, I have always booked my own restaurant reservations once onboard. Any info would be appreciated.

Basically, as far as we could tell, it doesn’t really work at all.

I have seen platinum plus seating in the theatre on some cruises. For example, on the Spirit the front row of the theatre on one side was roped off for platinum plus. On other cruises I’ve seen nothing.

As for the dining one, there has been debate about this, but overall we really can’t see what this may be. I have a feeling that perhaps we sometimes get a better table, but that is about all I can suggest.

My best advice would be, don’t get too excited about this.

I concur. It does not work at all.

Book your own reservations as you have always done. Don’t expect any help. Make sure that any shore excursions have the right discount, because they usually charge you full price.

Sign up for the behind the scenes tour and officers dinner on embarkation day at the Cruise next desk. Then decide if dinner is worth it when they call with a date and time. We got the photo shop manager last cruise. Zzzzzzzzz.

Make sure that your bottled water shows up. We are 50/50 on having it delivered without asking.

36e463c44a87277441c231cc95233e88.jpg

2de142dac88e2cb0a9702f85c05a7e46.jpg

Edited by BirdTravels

There are hundreds of Platinum/Platinum+++ now sailing, on many cruises. Being Plat +++ hasn't offered me anything extra. I've still not been able to get first choice dining reservations even though I have been, many times, top cruiser on board. (have gotten several dinner invites though with officers, in addition to the perk one, I've never requested this)

Just make your own reservations and don't waste your time with "tag", getting someone else to do it. :)

we were able to use the concierge at Platinum but not without really needing to force the issue. we were persistent and successful, but they defintiely really resisted providing us the concierge phone number despite it being clearly defined benefit for Plats and up. we do get very nice tables usually, but we also pre-reserve everythign including MDRs so that might help.

I agree with the other posters. Occasionally I/we have better seating in a restaurant, but I've felt I've sometimes had the worse. It's a toss up. I've not noticed anything with entertainment seating but I don't go to many shows anymore and when I do, I usually sit in the back whenever possible to avoid the "traffic" in trying to leave the theater.

On the first cruise I took with the upgraded tier of Platinum Plus, it was on the Escape and the moving of tables would explain what happened. I presented my card sailing with friends in different cabins at dinner. When we were sat, before we were greeted by the server, another lady came over and said we should move to a table by the window. I was surprised by the offer and most grateful for it!

The dinner with the officers can be hit or miss. We had it in the private dining room downstairs in the mid-ship dining room. It was a nice treat. We sat with the first and second officers from the Bridge at our table. The automation guy and another engine officer were at the table to our right and the doctor was at the table to our left. The other tables did not engage or have fun with their officers. It seemed most awkward for them. Our table had the nicest officers and they talked. There was a guy from the Eastern Europe block and a lady from Colombia who told us about her past in the cargo industry before shipping to cruises. It was actually a highlight of the cruise.

I have never seen priority seating in the theaters though. The only time I've seen this was on a Royal ship for Diamond members and higher. The only ones with reserved seating usually on NCL is for Haven guests regardless of tier status.

I don't know about anyone else but we are Platinum and, from what I can see, Platinum Plus offers nothing extra that I find worth the trouble of getting more points to get there.

One extra bottle of water and 30 more minutes of free internet. That will save you at least 8 bucks. Woo!

I don't know about anyone else but we are Platinum and, from what I can see, Platinum Plus offers nothing extra that I find worth the trouble of getting more points to get there.

In my opinion there are few, if any, loyalty plans anywhere which offer benefits thick are really worth chasing for themselves. They are usually just a nice bonus.

With NCL, the only level which I believe really offers benefits which are worth noting is platinum for early embarkation, meals and laundry. I totally agree that the platinum plus extras are barely noticeable. Certainly not worth the trouble of trying to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on three cruises (Norwegian Jade and Norwegian Spirit) since we got the Platinum Plus status, and regarding the priority seating in the theater, the concierge showed us to the seating for the suites. Regarding the priority seating at restaurants, I have not figured out what that might be, even though I have actually asked the CruiseNext consultant on board about it on several occasions. Like others have said - some times we get very nice tables in the MDR even at pretty busy times, but at other times not. It seems to depend on who is the restaurant host/hostess at the time and how they do the priorities.

Kind of skewed thinking? "trouble"??? Why would that enter into any cruise choice? I cruise for the itinerary, my selected activities and my valuable time. NEVER do I even remotely think about my - points.

I do see some, posts from people who, do sail for this. I scratch my head, you've got to be kidding, I say to myself. Then I see them, not even getting off the ship in ports, repeating same home based ship over and over etc. To each his own. :)

There is a whole lot more to traveling for my preferences and priorities.

In my opinion there are few, if any, loyalty plans anywhere which offer benefits thick are really worth chasing for themselves. They are usually just a nice bonus.

With NCL, the only level which I believe really offers benefits which are worth noting is platinum for early embarkation, meals and laundry. I totally agree that the platinum plus extras are barely noticeable. Certainly not worth the trouble of trying to get to.

I would concur...as we have been Plat + for a while now and only see the "perks" being reduced rather than increased. And when we get a quick/good table....I am always left wondering if it is because of Plat + OR being in the Haven? We do however enjoy the discount on shore excursions and sometimes gift shop items.....but again, NOTHING to make you loyal to NCL in order to rack up points towards your next level!

I am almost embarrassed by the awful sparkling wine that they offer in your stateroom! But then champagne is important to me....and probably not to all. My husband does take advantage of the laundry (free) offer when we are sailing for 14 days or more.

Remember Godiva? Dining certificates for ALL Platinum Plus members in the cabin? This really rings true when we have been in the Garden Villa and 5 to 7 of us are Plat + yet we only receive the dinner certificates for two.....but as they say " It is what it is...." and things have not gotten bad enough to keep us away from NCL. But we HAVE however, booked again on Azamara......so that may change.

we were able to use the concierge at Platinum but not without really needing to force the issue. we were persistent and successful, but they defintiely really resisted providing us the concierge phone number despite it being clearly defined benefit for Plats and up. we do get very nice tables usually, but we also pre-reserve everythign including MDRs so that might help.

I thought a reservation was not needed in MDR. Should I pre-book MDR? I would rather free-float meal time rather than commit each day which feels like the old "assigned seating".

We have sailed 4x since Platinum Plus began. Mixed results. 100% failure with theater seating. No one had a clue. Called concierge to response of “feel free to sit anywhere in theater”. Have always had to ask for the extra 2 SMALL bottles of water. However, on Breakaway without reservation in MDR when there was line, we were always seated next and taken to great location. No need to declare status. And forget any advantage for tenders. Again response 100% “huh?”...just get in line on stairs with everyone else. Dinner with officers nice but completely dependent on which officer. Chief Engineer=yawn. Doctor engaging. Cruise Next Officer fun. Always nice to meet other experienced cruisers at table.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I thought a reservation was not needed in MDR. Should I pre-book MDR? I would rather free-float meal time rather than commit each day which feels like the old "assigned seating".

No, reservations aren’t needed in the MDR. Personally, I have never made a reservation there and never had any problems.

Just be aware that at peak times there may be a wait. If that happens to us (rarely, as we tend to eat at quieter times) then we just take a buzzer and go to wait at a bar. It could be an issue if you have a show to get to or something.