How Long Did It Take You To Reach Platinum?

JamieLogical

It took us 4 years. In that time we only took 4 cruises but they awarded us points for a 1985 cruise and Kevin Sheehan gave us some points when I wrote him a letter about recycling.

Well I finally hit Platinum Plus last year and I've had 15 cruises with NCL going back to 2012. All I know is I'm 446 points away from Ambassador and by that time they'll be called Norwegian SPACE Lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're new to cruising and to NCL. We're due to be married next year but have our first cruise booked this year.

Will we each get points and then do they pool your points when you're married?

They don't pool points. Your points are yours alone. If you do all of your cruises together, you will accrue all of your points at the same rate and stay the same level as one another. I think this would really only be an advantage if you ever get to Ambassador level and both of you would receive the free 7-day cruise for two, so you can go on two free cruises together!

If it was 75 points to get to Platinum when we started it took "3 cruises"!!

POA 7 Days 7 Points

Pacific, Panama, Bahamas 22 Days 44 Points Actually 3 cruises B2B2B

Baltic & Fjords 16 Days 32 Points. Actually 2 cruises B2B

Over a 16 month period

I wish longer cruises were a possibility for us! As it is, we are stressing about being able to manage this 11-day TA in November 2019, because it's out of Southampton and ends in Miami (we live in Western New York State), so we will obviously need to take an extra day or two off work on either end of it. Getting that much time off work is a real challenge for my partner in his current job.

We didn't really start cruising till we had retired and now we do "2 cruises" a year but they are normally at least B2B and over 30 days at a time. We got to Platinum Plus very quickly too.

But Ambassador is going to take a lot longer!!

I know that the Latitudes Tiers changed fairly recently and a lot of you were Platinum long before that, but I am curious how many years it took you to reach your Platinum or Platinum Plus status.

I just started cruising this past February. Will be going on my third NCL cruise in October, which is one of the cruises that awards double points. So I should reach Silver during my scheduled cruise on the Bliss NEXT February. That means I will have essentially gotten to Silver in a year, but I will still have a VERY long way to go until Platinum.

It took us five cruises to become Platinum. First ones were 14, 11 and 7 days, then we did a B2B on the Star with two 14 day cruises that we booked over a year in advance and that put us over the top.

We reached Platinum after 4 cruises under the old structure. It took us one year.

Each 7 day cruise received 21 points, 7 for the cruise, 7 for booking 9 mos in advance and 7 for being a latitudes cruise.

Our next 2 cruises are booked with MSC and we did status match and are black tier (highest tier) match which obtained because of NCL Platinum. Even though we have 138 days on Carnival and that was only gold.

I think it took us four years, and I don't think any of our trips were not double points. The trip we take in October will be our first Platinum trip. Incidentally, that trip was booked on February 2, 2017 - the day before all the Latitude rules changed, so this one will get double points as well..

3 cruises

First cruise was only 7 points simple 7 day cruise

Second cruise was 56 points 9 month booking insider offer suite 14 day cruise

Third cruise was 21 points insider offer suite 7 day cruise

With old school Latitudes Platinum was 76 points - with the 3 cruises awarded 84 points

It took me 4 cruises between March 2013 and January 2016 (under the old system).

10 night Norwegian Sun - 20 points (suite)

7 night Norwegian Dawn - 14 points (suite)

7 night Norwegian Sun - 21 points (suite, booked 1 year out)

7 night Norwegian Getaway - 21 points (suite, booked 1 year out)

A total of 76. Currently at 97 points, with another NCL cruise in December. Platinum Plus sure looks a loooooooong way away. :o

Hi Jamie,

As you can see there are many different ways to become platinum (especially under the old system) For my wife and myself it took us 9 cruises between 2007 and 2018 (most under the old system but last one before making platinum under the new) Will finally see the platinum benefits on our next cruise in January.

With the loss of the 9 month booking points it is now near impossible to get Platinum in one cruise.

Formerly a 19 day transatlantic or transpacific cruise would do it - 9 month - insider offer*** - suite and

the routine point a day would yield the 76 voila points and Platinum (old school).

***Although the insider offer would apply ONLY after having the base level first cruise.

Thus one is looking at getting 80 points less the first cruise points say 7 = 73 divided by 3 would be a

25 day cruise in a suite insider offer and daily points = 75 + 7 and 2 points over the top for Platinum (New School).

Really the benefits of Platinum + are not that much to write home about and getting to Ambassador is fine

if you plan to live and retire on the ship (think 100 7 night cruises = 700 points - Ambassador).

Platinum for all intensive purposes is the benchmark for everything you would want in a NCL cruise.

Took me 27 years and 11 cruises. Only cruise every 3 or 4 years. And only 7 day cruises. But found out I had 2 latitudes numbers, now combined. Early next year on our first 18 day NY-LA Panama Canal cruise will be platinum.

I because Platinum in the early 2000's when it took 14 cruises. (Mine were all 7 or more days), many times I was the only one on the ship. It got a whole lot easier when they offered the double and trip pleoints- which most of my cruises were not. There are now thousands of platinum's with it not too difficult to obtain. I'm almost Ambassador, which at this time, isn't many, but, that too is only a matter of time, when that becomes saturated. :) I am upper levels on other cruise lines as well. And frankly- prefer, no perks and a cost savings. :)

We reached Platinum after 4 cruises under the old structure. It took us one year.

Each 7 day cruise received 21 points, 7 for the cruise, 7 for booking 9 mos in advance and 7 for being a latitudes cruise.

Our next 2 cruises are booked with MSC and we did status match and are black tier (highest tier) match which obtained because of NCL Platinum. Even though we have 138 days on Carnival and that was only gold.

The old program had extra point for being in a suite. You are wrong with Carnival. Platinum is 75 points, and that level does qualify for the MSC black tier. (have a friend who just matched) even though Diamond is higher on Carnival. (which isn't hard to get at 200 points)

First NCL cruise Oct 2014 = 70 pts., second cruise Feb 2015 = 7 pts. Total = 77 pts. 5 months. First cruise was a 35-day repo (Seattle to Houston) booked almost a year in advance, double points.

I know that the Latitudes Tiers changed fairly recently and a lot of you were Platinum long before that, but I am curious how many years it took you to reach your Platinum or Platinum Plus status.

I just started cruising this past February. Will be going on my third NCL cruise in October, which is one of the cruises that awards double points. So I should reach Silver during my scheduled cruise on the Bliss NEXT February. That means I will have essentially gotten to Silver in a year, but I will still have a VERY long way to go until Platinum.

Been Platinum for a couple years now.

June 8, 2014 7-Day 7-Day Glacier Bay From Seattle 24610604 Norwegian Pearl Balcony 7

October 11, 2014 7-Day 7-Day Canada & New England From New York 26248645 Norwegian Gem Balcony 7 June 7, 2015 7-Day 7-Day Glacier Bay From Seattle 27356897 Norwegian Pearl Inside 7

January 10, 2016 7-Day 7-Day Western Caribbean From Miami 28667412 Norwegian Getaway Inside 7

August 22, 2015 7-Day 7-Day Sawyer Glacier From Seattle 29091793 Norwegian Jewel Inside 7

June 12, 2016 7-Day 7-Day Glacier Bay From Seattle 29985384 Norwegian Pearl Inside 7

January 15, 2017 7-Day 7-Day Western Caribbean From New Orleans 31421133 Norwegian Dawn Suite 14 September 17, 2016 7-Day 7-Day Canada & New England From New York 31614970 Norwegian Gem Inside 7 May 28, 2017 7-Day 7-Day Alaska With Glacier Bay From Seattle 33744473 Norwegian Pearl Haven Suite 14 September 16, 2017 7-Day 7-Day Canada & New England From New York 33922080 Norwegian Gem Inside 7 July 23, 2017 7-Day 7-Day Alaska With Glacier Bay From Seattle 34933734 Norwegian Pearl Balcony 7 February 24, 2018 7-Day 7-Day Western Caribbean From Miami 36003964 Norwegian Escape Haven Suite 14 June 10, 2018 7-Day 7-Day Alaska With Glacier Bay From Seattle 36454111 Norwegian Pearl Suite 14

Total Latitudes Rewards: 119 points

The changing of the system probably delayed us by a cruise. It has taken us about 5 years to become Platinum. Our first two NCL cruises were 2 years apart and booked through a TA, although it was exactly the same cruise we got 7 pts for the first and 14 pts for the second. We then went through a different TA and had 1 cruise which got us another 7 pts. So we had 28 pts and were Silver when the system changed, we were grandfathered so remained Silver even though we were 2 pts short under the new system. The big difference was we had also booked 2 cruises using NCL before the new system came in, points were awarded for these cruises dependant on what system was in place when we booked NOT when the cruise finished. So we ended up with 16 pts for one (double points for Insider deal) and 30 pts for the other (Triple points, Insider deal booked more than 9 months out) then we sailed on the Bliss Trans Atlantic for 12 pts and so we are now Platinum on 86 pts just in time for our Bermuda Anniversary cruise in September.

My daughter also benefitted from booking before the change. She has been cruising with NCL since 2015, has cruised 4 times and is 17 pts short of Platinum. The triple points being awarded because of when we booked not when the cruise was really helped there.

I can't wait for my first cruise as Platinum.

Edited by BaWBarmy
additional info

The old program had extra point for being in a suite. You are wrong with Carnival. Platinum is 75 points, and that level does qualify for the MSC black tier. (have a friend who just matched) even though Diamond is higher on Carnival. (which isn't hard to get at 200 points)

No, I am not wrong. Carnival's Platinum is matched to Gold on MSC because I matched to MSC with Carnival's Platinum with having 138 days. MSC gave us Gold status. I called and was able to send in my NCL status instead and was then matched to Black so I know what I am talking about. Read on MSC boards, Carnival Platinum is MSC Gold.

From March 2003 until July 2018:

25 cruises, 228 cruise nights, total of 442 points. First cruise with double points in 2013, before that only awarded with one point per cruise night. Only two 7-days cruises with extra Suite points. So it will still take some years until we reach Ambassador, IF we ever get there. Nowadays usually cruise twice per year, length 10-14 each cruise. Prefer even longer cruises now, but are still working, so can't get more days off from work... ;pPlus need to continue working to be able to afford all these cruises...! :D:D:DHave no idea when we got the Platinum status, but believe it was around 2012/2013 - when they changed the "system" before the last time, if I remember correctly back then we got an instant move from Gold to Platinum status with the change.

Edited by TrumpyNor