NCL Customer Service - (or lack thereof)

Gaston123

Does anyone have experience with post-cruise customer service cases being successfully handled and what are your strategies in dealing with NCL customer service? The details of the concern are that I purchased photos at Teppanyaki restaurant and was informed that if i bought 2 they would email me the digital copies. On 3 separate visits to the photo shop before leaving the cruise i was told they would be sent before the end of the cruise or on the disembarkation day. The photos never arrived. The photos aren't a part of the regular packages and they don't show up in the NCL Photos web site either. The photos at Teppanyaki are treated separately.

I opened a case via email with NCL after returning from my cruise in May but have yet to hear back from anyone regarding an update. I’ve now called 3 times since the opening of the case and the interaction goes as follows each time:

1. I explain that I’m following up on a case and provide the number and the information that I’ve not yet received any updates
  2. The agent expresses surprise because the service level agreement promises a response within 15 business days and that time was far exceeded each time I called
  3. The agent puts me on hold indicating that they will contact the case worker
  4. The agent comes back after several minutes and says that the notes indicate they are waiting to hear back from the ship regarding my photos and that they have instant messaged the case worker but they aren’t in today (exact same message each time which alone is surprising and frankly, suspicious)
  5. The agent says they will note that I called on the case (without any promise that this will result in any action)

The last time I called I challenged the agent further and asked if they can follow up or escalate somehow given how long my case has been open to ask that the case worker contacts me. The agent seems to be in a position that they can do nothing to help me escalate, or obtain a call back or get any information. They tell me that they can’t send any other messages or help me in any other way and there is no way to speak to a supervisor.

Has anyone been through something similar. Is there something you've said that enabled an escalation to a supervisor or case worker? I appreciate any insight in how you've been successful at NCL Customer Service!

We had a similar situation when buying photos on an excursion. We were told that we would receive an email in a day (while still on the cruise). It never happened. When we got home we contacted the tour operator and they re-sent the photos. Only guessing but I think the email system on the ship is not all that reliable.

Does anyone have experience with post-cruise customer service cases being successfully handled and what are your strategies in dealing with NCL customer service? The details of the concern are that I purchased photos at Teppanyaki restaurant and was informed that if i bought 2 they would email me the digital copies. On 3 separate visits to the photo shop before leaving the cruise i was told they would be sent before the end of the cruise or on the disembarkation day. The photos never arrived. The photos aren't a part of the regular packages and they don't show up in the NCL Photos web site either. The photos at Teppanyaki are treated separately.

I opened a case via email with NCL after returning from my cruise in May but have yet to hear back from anyone regarding an update. I’ve now called 3 times since the opening of the case and the interaction goes as follows each time:

1. I explain that I’m following up on a case and provide the number and the information that I’ve not yet received any updates
  2. The agent expresses surprise because the service level agreement promises a response within 15 business days and that time was far exceeded each time I called
  4. The agent comes back after several minutes and says that the notes indicate they are waiting to hear back from the ship regarding my photos and that they have instant messaged the case worker but they aren’t in today (exact same message each time which alone is surprising and frankly, suspicious)
  5. The agent says they will note that I called on the case (without any promise that this will result in any action)

The last time I called I challenged the agent further and asked if they can follow up or escalate somehow given how long my case has been open to ask that the case worker contacts me. The agent seems to be in a position that they can do nothing to help me escalate, or obtain a call back or get any information. They tell me that they can’t send any other messages or help me in any other way and there is no way to speak to a supervisor.

Has anyone been through something similar. Is there something you've said that enabled an escalation to a supervisor or case worker? I appreciate any insight in how you've been successful at NCL Customer Service!

I feel your pain...here is what i do when i want to escalate a call and am told there are no managers there or he/ she is the manager.

I say the following in the most pleasant voice I can muster..."okay...i understand you are telling me there are no managers/ supervisors available at this time...let me ask you...if you were to physically stand up on your desk right now and start screaming and waving your arms around...who would come over and tell you to get down?? let me talk to THAT person.

its worked every time!!

I feel your pain...here is what i do when i want to escalate a call and am told there are no managers there or he/ she is the manager.

I say the following in the most pleasant voice I can muster..."okay...i understand you are telling me there are no managers/ supervisors available at this time...let me ask you...if you were to physically stand up on your desk right now and start screaming and waving your arms around...who would come over and tell you to get down?? let me talk to THAT person.

its worked every time!!

I'm taking note of this strategy -- i love it, takeadip!!!

We had a similar situation when buying photos on an excursion. We were told that we would receive an email in a day (while still on the cruise). It never happened. When we got home we contacted the tour operator and they re-sent the photos. Only guessing but I think the email system on the ship is not all that reliable.

Glad you got your photos and agreed that the ship to shore and inter-department communications don't seem to be too be very effective!!

I agree with MS52. You can certainly keep trying with NCL, but it is unlikely they will help. Your credit card will probably refund you, and you can scan the photos (not ideal, but you don't have a lot of good options now) sorry about that.

Having looked into jobs with NCL, I am fairly certain that many of their customer service reps work out of their own homes. They aren't in a call centre where there is a manager or supervisor on site. All they can do is message someone about your concern, or perhaps transfer your call.

I currently wrote two pre cruise emails on their NCL page, used their system that was 6 weeks ago LOL...NCL is not known for their great customer service. :eek:

Having looked into jobs with NCL, I am fairly certain that many of their customer service reps work out of their own homes. They aren't in a call centre where there is a manager or supervisor on site. All they can do is message someone about your concern, or perhaps transfer your call.

This is true as is the case with so many central reservation centers now days. I know Carnival has many agents who are home based. Many of the air lines and hotels are doing the same.

its worked every time!!

Good advise. I have tried dealing with NCL twice after the fact via email or direct mail. I haven't had very good luck. Most people do not realize many of those we deal with on the ship are actually contracted and do not work for the company. This does not make it right, but it is a fact. A phone call is the only way to even hope to get satisfaction after the fact and even then it is hit or miss.

Thanks for all of the discussion, suggestions and expectation setting. I'm glad to know i'm not alone in my experience with NCL customer service.

I have an update to report -- yesterday, in my frustration and desire to resolve this matter, i did two things. I came here and posted to ask your strategies with customer service, and I emailed my travel agent to ask if she has any connections or way to escalate. I had an email from her this morning saying that she spoke to customer service, that the case manager had heard back from the ship yesterday and that i should expect an email today. Lo and behold, my digital photos arrived today from the "Assistant Photo Manager" on the Norwegian Escape.

I don't believe for a second that the ship responded coincidentally yesterday, at the same time my TA contacted NCL to escalate, but I'm grateful that she was able to get some traction for my issue. It's disappointing that customer service doesn't really care to do the right thing for customers who are genuinely looking for NCL to make something right. Why should it take a TA inquiry to get real support! I learned my lesson to ask for help from my TA for post-cruise issues instead of expecting the process to work. I'm at a loss to answer why I didn't try that sooner, but better late than never!

I'm also noting your experience, BirdTravels that this probably would have taken around the 3 month mark to work itself out through the normal process.

Thanks again, everyone!

its worked every time!!

ROTFLMAO :loudcry::'):loudcry:

Thanks for all of the discussion, suggestions and expectation setting. I'm glad to know i'm not alone in my experience with NCL customer service.

I have an update to report -- yesterday, in my frustration and desire to resolve this matter, i did two things. I came here and posted to ask your strategies with customer service, and I emailed my travel agent to ask if she has any connections or way to escalate. I had an email from her this morning saying that she spoke to customer service, that the case manager had heard back from the ship yesterday and that i should expect an email today. Lo and behold, my digital photos arrived today from the "Assistant Photo Manager" on the Norwegian Escape.

I don't believe for a second that the ship responded coincidentally yesterday, at the same time my TA contacted NCL to escalate, but I'm grateful that she was able to get some traction for my issue. It's disappointing that customer service doesn't really care to do the right thing for customers who are genuinely looking for NCL to make something right. Why should it take a TA inquiry to get real support! I learned my lesson to ask for help from my TA for post-cruise issues instead of expecting the process to work. I'm at a loss to answer why I didn't try that sooner, but better late than never!

I'm also noting your experience, BirdTravels that this probably would have taken around the 3 month mark to work itself out through the normal process.

Thanks again, everyone!

Congrats on getting it resolved. And No, it shouldn't have taken your TA to resolve this, it should have been NCL Customer Service.

Thanks again, everyone!

Your type of experience is one of the many reasons why I am loyal and always book through the same travel agent. She has always gotten back to me with answers to questions that I would have been on the phone for an extended period with the cruise line and also gets problems quickly resolved.

Congrats on getting it resolved. And No, it shouldn't have taken your TA to resolve this, it should have been NCL Customer Service.

Isn't it's NCL policy that pax that book through TA, the TA needs to correspond with NCL?

Probably has a lot to do with the OP not getting anywhere with NCL directly.

NCL has that policy for a reason whether we agree with it or not.

They might be out of time for that. You have 60 days to dispute a charge.

This is not true for my cards. I have disputed charges many months after the charge in situations just like this where attempts at resolution were taking a long time.