Made final payment on a trip that is not till 3/19 - should I buy insurance soon?

Typically I wait till only a few weeks before departure date to buy cancellation insurance, but I just had to make final payment today on a Viking cruise that is not until next March. So I'm thinking that probably buying much sooner would be advisable? I don't have any airfare costs yet to add in.

In the event of a serious illness developing that would qualify for cancellation, I assume insurance would want documentation as to when the illness started, etc. I never had a trip that required final payment so soon, and so it got me thinking about it.

Yet another question that arises has to do with the 'cancel for any reason' clause. I realize this has to be bought shortly after initial payment, but can you purchase that clause along with a plan (bought within the required timeframe to qualify for 'cancel for any reason') that ONLY covers the initial payment (generally the deposit) and then add the balance of the trip cost later? If so doing, would the policy still cover the full amount if cancelling 'for any reason'? Or, is it better just to estimate as best as possible the total cost of the trip and buy it up front right after the initial payment. I've never purchased the 'cancel for any reason' clause nor have I ever bought insurance prior to final payment.

Typically I wait till only a few weeks before departure date to buy cancellation insurance, but I just had to make final payment today on a Viking cruise that is not until next March. So I'm thinking that probably buying much sooner would be advisable? I don't have any airfare costs yet to add in.

In the event of a serious illness developing that would qualify for cancellation, I assume insurance would want documentation as to when the illness started, etc. I never had a trip that required final payment so soon, and so it got me thinking about it.

Yet another question that arises has to do with the 'cancel for any reason' clause. I realize this has to be bought shortly after initial payment, but can you purchase that clause along with a plan (bought within the required timeframe to qualify for 'cancel for any reason') that ONLY covers the initial payment (generally the deposit) and then add the balance of the trip cost later? If so doing, would the policy still cover the full amount if cancelling 'for any reason'? Or, is it better just to estimate as best as possible the total cost of the trip and buy it up front right after the initial payment. I've never purchased the 'cancel for any reason' clause nor have I ever bought insurance prior to final payment.

Why are you asking *us* here?

This is precisely the type of question that should be asked of the insure or broker, as I recommended on that other thread (the one you challenged because you stated that one shouldn't need to ask questions... just read the policy...Where you wrote "I've never spoken to an actual agent prior to choosing and buying a trip policy nor would I feel a need to. Insurance is insurance. Terms are pretty self explanatory.")

They will know the terms of *your* policy, or the one you are considering, or they might recommend a different policy, based upon your questions.

I am aware of at least two different types of policies that would require *different* answers to what you are asking, and you shouldn't trust me, anyway... I'm just an anonymous internet forum member, and if I give incorrect advice, in error or on purpose... too bad... That is why the suggestion to ask the professional who *knows* the policy you are considering.

GC

why are you asking *us* here?

This is precisely the type of question that should be asked of the insure or broker, as i recommended on that other thread (the one you challenged because you stated that one shouldn't need to ask questions... just read the policy...where you wrote "i've never spoken to an actual agent prior to choosing and buying a trip policy nor would i feel a need to. Insurance is insurance. Terms are pretty self explanatory.")

they will know the terms of *your* policy, or the one you are considering, or they might recommend a different policy, based upon your questions.

I am aware of at least two different types of policies that would require *different* answers to what you are asking, and you shouldn't trust me, anyway... I'm just an anonymous internet forum member, and if i give incorrect advice, in error or on purpose... Too bad... That is why the suggestion to ask the professional who *knows* the policy you are considering.

Gc

:d:d:d:d

OK....so I sort of got my wrist slapped for asking a fairly straightforward, albeit perhaps somewhat technical question. Such is how many forums seem to be going nowadays. Just thought I'd post it here since this is the section of the forum that specifically deals with insurance-related topics. With so many on the board, I have no doubt that someone who has purchased "cancel for any reason" policies (which most companies offer I'd think) would have the answer.

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

all answers courtesy of the FAQ section of www.tripinsurancestore.com

Q. What is the latest date I can purchase travel insurance?

A. It’s not too late to get trip insurance if you are still at home and haven’t left on your trip.

You can get travel insurance up until the day before you travel for Travel Guard, Travel Insured and TravelSafe or the until your day of departure for CSA. You should get your travel insurance as soon as possible to maximize your benefits. If you wait to get it, you run the risk that something will happen before the policy takes effect. It’s too late to get it if the cement truck has already hit you.

If it’s too early to buy airfare or if I don’t know my final prepaid trip costs yet?

A. Yes, you can cover your plane tickets you purchase later. You can either estimate your total trip cost now and insure that much or cover your known costs today and increase the insurance later (when you incur higher trip costs) prior to departure.

Cancel For Any Reason

“Cancel For Any Reason” is just that – cancelling your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered (e.g., changing your mind). It’s not “Delay For Any Reason”, nor is it “Change Your Travel Arrangements For Any Reason”

These Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plans only include the 75% “Cancel For Any Reason” (CFAR) if purchased by the deadline:

GOTTCHAS with CFAR

All plans require:

• You insure 100% of your expected prepaid non-refundable trip costs if you got hit by a cement truck on the day you were leaving for your trip and had to cancel at the last minute. There will be no coverage available under the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit if you insure an amount less than your total prepaid trip costs that are non-refundable on your Departure Date.
  • You are not disabled from travel at the time you pay your premium
  • You insure the entire length of your trip
  • You cancel your Trip more than two days (Global Alert, TripAssure, Travelex Max & TravelSafe) or forty-eight hours (CSA, Travel Insured) prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date. Important: 48 hours does not equal 2 calendar days. See why 48 hours does not equal 2 calendar days.

OK....so I sort of got my wrist slapped for asking a fairly straightforward, albeit perhaps somewhat technical question. Such is how many forums seem to be going nowadays. Just thought I'd post it here since this is the section of the forum that specifically deals with insurance-related topics. With so many on the board, I have no doubt that someone who has purchased "cancel for any reason" policies (which most companies offer I'd think) would have the answer.

It is good advice to get in touch with one of the travel insurance brokers. Tripinsurancestore has already been mentioned. Others include squaremouth.com and insuremytrip.com, both of which offer a wider range of insurance products and longer hours for phone inquiries. I would recommend giving one of them a call to discuss your situation and your specific travel insurance needs. Good luck! :)

Thanks for the replies. I have been using insuremytrip.com for years and talked to one of their agents yesterday. I think I need to change my usual habit of waiting so long to buy a policy. There is no advantage to it, on my end, other than for the insurance company to not have my money so far ahead of time. Flip side of the coin is that the insurance always seems to get cheaper as you get closer to the departure date. I know this was addressed somewhere on CC. Disadvantage of waiting so long is that in the event of an incident that renders me incapable of traveling that takes place, for example, 2 weeks before I get the policy, I'd be out of luck with trying to make a claim.

all answers courtesy of the FAQ section of www.tripinsurancestore.com

Q. What is the latest date I can purchase travel insurance?

A. It’s not too late to get trip insurance if you are still at home and haven’t left on your trip.

You can get travel insurance up until the day before you travel for Travel Guard, Travel Insured and TravelSafe or the until your day of departure for CSA. You should get your travel insurance as soon as possible to maximize your benefits. If you wait to get it, you run the risk that something will happen before the policy takes effect. It’s too late to get it if the cement truck has already hit you.

If it’s too early to buy airfare or if I don’t know my final prepaid trip costs yet?

A. Yes, you can cover your plane tickets you purchase later. You can either estimate your total trip cost now and insure that much or cover your known costs today and increase the insurance later (when you incur higher trip costs) prior to departure.

Cancel For Any Reason

“Cancel For Any Reason” is just that – cancelling your entire trip for a reason that is normally not covered (e.g., changing your mind). It’s not “Delay For Any Reason”, nor is it “Change Your Travel Arrangements For Any Reason”

These Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plans only include the 75% “Cancel For Any Reason” (CFAR) if purchased by the deadline:

GOTTCHAS with CFAR

All plans require:

• You insure 100% of your expected prepaid non-refundable trip costs if you got hit by a cement truck on the day you were leaving for your trip and had to cancel at the last minute. There will be no coverage available under the Cancel For Any Reason Benefit if you insure an amount less than your total prepaid trip costs that are non-refundable on your Departure Date.
  • You are not disabled from travel at the time you pay your premium
  • You insure the entire length of your trip
  • You cancel your Trip more than two days (Global Alert, TripAssure, Travelex Max & TravelSafe) or forty-eight hours (CSA, Travel Insured) prior to Your Scheduled Departure Date. Important: 48 hours does not equal 2 calendar days. See why 48 hours does not equal 2 calendar days.

Thanks for taking the time to put all that info together! I had forgotten that CFAR only provides for reimbursement up to 75%.

Thanks for taking the time to put all that info together! I had forgotten that CFAR only provides for reimbursement up to 75%.

Travel Guard Gold is only 50% while Princess Platinum provides 100%

Travel Guard Gold is only 50% while Princess Platinum provides 100%

Remember... as gretschwhtfalcon already had written, just read the policy!

Then it is clear.

GC