NCL Getaway Review - July 1-8

CardFanDubG

This will be a review of the Getaway cruise July 1-8. We were a family of 8 (5 adults and 3 children ages 10-13) in three Ocean-view cabins. Two of the cabins were category O1 - Family Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window port side (5172 and 5174). The third cabin 5180 was a Category OB - Mid-Ship Oceanview Stateroom with Large Picture Window. I would definitely choose these cabins again. They were quiet and very convenient to both the bow and aft stairs and elevators. At all port of calls the disembarkation was deck 4 forward. Nice to only walk up one flight of stairs and not have to wait for an elevator. The Family Ocean-view was very comfortable for three. The bathroom was nice size and the double sink was handy.

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale Airport from Nashville via JetBlue. This was a direct flight and as always the customer service on JetBlue was great. One of the main reasons that fly that airline.

We stayed overnight at Home2 Suites by Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Airport-Cruise Port. Had some difficulty catching the hotel shuttle as we were not told that the hotel name would not be on the shuttle. That was the only negative of the stay. The hotel was very clean and looked relatively new. The family really enjoyed the pool, which will be discussed more. There were restaurants to walk to within a block. We ordered pizza for that evening and sons walked to subway the next day.

Day 1

We received a text and phone call from NCL that the Getaway would be delayed arriving Sunday and to not plan on arriving to port before noon. Found out through Cruise Critic that a staff member had gone overboard during the night and the ship had returned to search for him. Later found out after embarkation that he was found by a Carnival ship 33 hours later, alive. That was good news.

I had scheduled a van pick-up with Shuttle2Go for 9:30. After texting the company, a later pick-up time was set up. NCL texted again later changing the boarding time to 4:00 PM. I talked with Shuttle2Go and they suggested pick-up at 1:00 PM. That time worked very good. I thank Shuttle2Go for working with our family to get us to the port in a timely manner. Home2 Suites was wonderful working with us to extend our room checkout. The children were able to swim and enjoy themself during the delay. I would highly recommend both Shuttle2Go and Home2 because of their great customer service.

Embarkation was not typical because of this delay. NCL had a arranged shuttles to the local mall for anyone that wanted to go there instead of waiting at the port. Our family elected to stay at the port. The port staff was passing out board groups and then calling the Boarding Groups to check-in. Sometime during that it was decided that was not working and then started just lining people up. The people with boarding groups waiting to be called were not told of this and it caused some confusion. All in all the check-in went as good as could be expected. Once checked in the typical wait began upstairs.

The muster drill was scheduled for 5:00 PM. Having cruised the NCL Escape the year before we were prepared for the mass of humanity. Our muster stations C2 and C4 were in the Atrium. It was overly crowded and some passengers did not listen to instructions. As most people had to stand in tight quarters it became very uncomfortable. The worst part came after the drill concluded. We had reservations for eight in the Tropicana Dining Room for 5:30. Was concerned as we were not leaving port until 6:00. Well the real concern should have been getting to the dining room. The drill was over after 5:30 so we started toward the dining room. As the hundreds of people were leaving the atrium the same number were coming out of Tropicana Dining Room where other muster stations were located. At the originally scheduled muster time this would not have been a problem. It was very interesting when both groups met at the elevators. Felt like a salmon swimming upstream.

After finally getting into the dining room the meal was great. The evening meal is my favorite time while on a family cruise. This is the time that we share the day’s activities and enjoy our visit. The meals was great and service fantastic. We were not sure how what happened to a fellow staff member would effect the crew members. I guess hearing that he was still alive helped. Anyway the waiter and servers were friendly and smiled. The food was excellent. I have never had a problem with Norwegian Cruise Line dining. I know food taste is objective and maybe I am easy to please, but I am always happy with the choices and flavor. This cruise was no exception. The 13 year old grandson and 12 year old granddaughter enjoyed ordering off of the menu. The 10 year grandson is a picky eater really only enjoys the food on the children’s menu. He was amazed with the Peanut Butter & Jelly club sandwich (bread, peanut butter, bread, jelly, bread). This will become comical later in the cruise.

Day 1 Daily LINK - was amazed that NCL updated it for time changes.

Will divide the review into days - More to come.

Edited by CardFanDubG

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review. It seems like you had a great attitude with the unfortunate delay and made the most out of it.

We sailed the Getaway the month before you with extended family and I agree with you that meeting up for group dinners is one of my favorite things.

Day 2

The ship really made up time overnight. We were told that our arrival to Roatan, Honduras would be as originally scheduled. That was great as we had made private excursion reservations with Rony's Tours.

We did not have anything except the Meet & Greet planned for the morning and afternoon. Just wanted to relax. Thanks to minnievanmommie for organizing the Meet & Greet. The roll call was not as active as others that I have been a part of, but she did an excellent job as host. The families with children enjoyed the pool deck that morning. They were able to find chairs under cover near the pool. The children decided not to join the youth center because the ages put them into separate groups. The granddaughter turned 13 during the cruise while the grandson was already 13. That put them in separate age groups. We were quite aware of the strict rules that NCL has on age groups. They did meet other children in the pool. When the waterslides opened they enjoyed them. Found the lines to be about the same as other waterparks they had visited.

That evening we had reservations for the 5:30 Cirque Dreams & Steam. As mentioned in other reviews we arrived about 30 minutes early. Six of us had the SDP. We purchased tickets for the other 2 children. We had paid extra for the premium seats. There were quite a few people in line ahead of us, but our seats still were great. The dinner was very good. It is a fixed menu. The waiter asked if there were any food allergies. It was great saying no this year. Our granddaughter had a severe case of peanut allergy. She went through a procedure at Cincinnati Children's hospital that helped alleviate the allergy. In fact she has to eat 12 peanuts every morning on this plan. Our 10 year old grandson that usually orders off the children’s menu had the fixed menu. He was not sure about the meal. His father convinced him to try the Filet Mignon. He said he now has a new food favorite. Guess his parents are in trouble now.

Cirque_Menu_Fixed.jpg

The show itself was fantastic. So many great acts. I remember seeing a couple of them on America Got Talent. Everyone was highly entertained. When asked which act was the favorite, everyone had a different one. I guess that shows the whole show was great. I find entertainment on NCL Cruise ships to be top-notch.

After the show we attended the comedy show in Headliners. Mark Klein was the comedian. We did not have reservations so we stood in the stand-by line. We were toward the front of a very long line. Do not know for sure but it looked as if everyone in standby got in. Mark was very funny. He did a good job of trying to change his comedy to a family quality show. The warm up comedian was very funny. I am sorry that I did not catch his name.

Day 2 Daily LINK

Day 3 - Port of Coxen Hole, Roatan, Honduras

Had a beautiful view of Roatan from the Port Side of the ship. It was quite interesting watching the show as people zip-lined over the water at the port. Did not notice any problem with the dock from the MSC cruise ship collision a few months back. When it was announced that the ship was cleared to disembark we made our way toward the forward stairs to go to deck 4. We were surprised to find a staff member directing us up to deck 6. When we got to deck 6 we found a line wrapped all the way around the inside of the deck back to the stairs we came up and then down to deck 4. The line moved very quick, but was just surprised by its length. We learned at the other ports to delay just 15 or 20 minutes and there would be no line. Not sure if that solved the issue or if porting at 8 instead of 10 eased the line length.

We had reservations for a private tour with Rony’s Tours. We followed his instructions that we received via email and had no difficulty finding his representative standing across the street from gate 2 with a sign. The walk was not as long as I anticipated. Once we met Rony who drove and Will our guide we were asked to follow him to the van. We first walked to a parking area to wait. While there Will shared the plant life in the area. Because of the traffic at the port Rony had difficulty getting to us so we walked back to the straw market. We were picked up by Rony in a van that sat the eight of us with driver and guide comfortably. One of the families in our group are geocachers and they noticed that there was a cache in the market where we were picked up. They added that to their list of finds.

Roatan_Meeting_Place.jpg

Rony and Will did an excellent job asking us what we wanted to do. We knew that we wanted to tour the island, visit the school, go to the monkey zoo, and have beach time. We left it up to them how to schedule the time. Just told them we wanted to be back at 4:30 (all aboard time was 5:30). They decided to tour the village where Rony lives first and drop off the soccer balls and school supplies that we had brought for the school. It was very interesting driving through the village and seeing how the people of Roatan live, Both Rony and Will did an excellent job sharing information. The school was not open because of a holiday so we gave the items to Rony to give them later. We went to a nice viewing area to see the cruise ship and take pictures.

We then drove to Manawakie Eco Nature Park. This was a small park that I had not read much about before the cruise. I am very pleased that we went to this location as we were the only group there. The drive there was very interesting. Roatan is working on new roads. The road to the the Eco Park was under construction. At times we were on the new concrete road and at other times on a dirt road. When they complete the road it is going to be really nice.

While at the park, we given information on the culture of the people of Roatan. Our guide then shared various plants and spices with us. It was interesting learning about the medicinal uses of the plants. We were taken to visit with the monkeys, parrots, and sloths. We were allowed to hold the monkey. The kids had a great time. The monkey was interested in what was down our grandson’s shirt.

Roatan_Monkey_002.jpg

Roatan_Monkey_003.jpg

The daughter-in-law was taking pictures when she was asked if she wanted to hold the monkey. She said no the monkey could stay with the children when the monkey had other plans.

Roatan_Monkey_001.jpg

After the Eco Park we headed to the beach. Rony drove us to the West End Beach Bananarama Dive & Beach Resort. For $10 a person we received beach chairs, access to bathrooms, and changing area. The beach was fantastic and everyone had a great time. While there we rented two waverunners for ½ hour ($65 each). Each waverunner held two people. Will set up the rental. Beverages and food was very reasonably priced. We left from there to return to the ship at the designated time. Rony & Will made the day very enjoyable and I would definitely use them again.

Banannarama_sign.jpg

Banannarama_beach.jpg

That night we again ate in the Tropicana Dining Room. We told the waiter that we had reservations for Burn the Floor at 7:30. The meal was reasonably paced and we were finished in plenty of time for the show. The grandson who discovered Filet Mignon the night before ordered his PB&J as an appetizer and a steak for his meal. He was hooked.

I found the performers of Burn the Floor very talented. Like all NCL shows this one was very good. I don’t know if I was tired from the day’s activities, but I lost interest towards the end. Ranking the shows that I saw during the week this was probably my least favorite.

Day 3 Daily LINK

Edited by CardFanDubG

Day 4 - Harvest Caye

On this day each family did their own thing. The review will be from discussions with each. My wife and I did not schedule an excursion. We visited the island for a short time and then returned to the ship. We did notice that the island was very clean and beautiful. The pool is definitely a feature of the island. We walked through the nature center and looked at the few animals located there. We especially enjoyed the butterfly garden. It began to rain so we went back to the ship. It has been mentioned that the pier is long and covered. That is a true statement. It is a long walk to make many trips back and forth. There are shuttles available for those in need.

DS, DIL and DGD had a 8:00 Reef Snorkeling Excursion through NCL. They had no difficulty finding the excursion meeting point. They said that there were three boats with about 50 passengers each. The boats went to a privately owned island to snorkel off the reef. Upon arriving they were divided into smaller groups of 8. The small groups each had a guide that assisted them with snorkeling instruction. They felt very safe and said it was a nice excursion and would be especially good for beginners. They said they saw some fish and coral. After they returned from the excursion they enjoyed the other features of the island. At 3:30 they hosted a geocache event prior to boarding the ship.

DS and 2 DGS had a 12:00 appointment for the Flight Zipline Excursion. They got off the ship earlier and enjoyed the pool. They commented that the pool became more crowded as the time went on. Getting there early was important. This is the first time any of the three had ziplined. They had a great time and especially enjoyed the superman zipline over the beach. It was very windy and raining when they did the zipline. Both DGS got stuck once because if the wind. The staff sent a weight out to them and pulled them in.

That evening we had reservations for Cagney’s Steakhouse. This is one of my favorite specialty dining rooms. Everyone enjoyed their steaks. I ordered a Tuna Steak and it was delicious. It was one of the largest that I have ever eaten. The steak of choice for our group was the Surf and Turf. This was pretty much the same as the one at Cirque. As always a wonderful meal. The best part was listening to the grand-kids sharing their day excursions.

I forgot the LINK to Day 4 Daily. Here it is if you are interested.

Day 5 -Costa Maya, Mexico

During the night the Getaway traveled through some storms, You definitely could feel the sway of wave. This weather carried over into Costa Maya.

Today we had reservations for Maya Chan Beach Resort. This was a port that I was looking forward to as I had read so many good reviews about this resort. I also read Jane Ostrow’s Book, It Helps to Be Crazy: The Story of Maya Chan Beach. We followed the instructions on how to meet the Maya Chan Representative and ran into a obstacle. The first was the exit that was suggested was closed by security. The shopping area was a maze making it difficult to exit. Hint we found out that if you enter a store you can walk out the back and miss some of the maze. Once we found our way out, we began the walk to the representative. The Representative is on the right side of the street with a sign out front. The representative told us that because of the storm there was a lot of seaweed. She said that we would probably not be able to swim. She showed us pictures of the beach on her phone and gave us the option to go or not. If we did not go a full refund will be given. This says a lot on the integrity of a business. We elected to go anyway and enjoy the atmosphere. We found out later they were originally sold out but only 49 people decided to go.

Once the decision was made and all the paperwork signed, a cab was called and off we went, Another couple was added to our group of eight. It was a comfortable van. The drive took about 30 minutes. The driver told me that once the taxi leaves the paved road it was 5 kilometers to the resort. The rain the night before had filled the pot holes with water. Our driver drove safely. Upon arriving at the resort David met us and gave us a brief tour. Our beach hut papaya was a good size for a family of 8. There were plenty of chairs, a hammock, and a beach bed. We were greeted immediately with alcoholic and non-alcoholic punch and two containers of chips and guacamole. The guacamole was fantastic.

From_Tower_001.jpg

Just as the representative described the beach and water was completely covered with seaweed. We were not upset as she made it clear to us in advanced. The resort had 3 and 4 men trying to rake it away, but for that day it was a losing battle. We were unable to swim or use the other water toys but still had a great time.

Seaweed.jpg

The service was incredible. The servers came by frequently to check if we needed anything. The children spent time on the beach building sand castles. Someone commented take a picture as we probably will not see the 13 year olds doing this again.

Beach_Sand.jpg

The resort also had corn-hole, 5 Gallon Bucket Beer Pong, and huge jenga. The restrooms were very clean and convenient. The adults spent plenty of time just relaxing and enjoying the view.

Hut_001.jpg

The lunch was unbelievable. It was freshly cooked and served buffet style. The meats were skirt steak, chicken, fish in white wine and garlic butter, and pork. These meats could be wrapped in a freshly cooked flour or corn tortilla. There was also beans and rice.

This resort was all inclusive with no surprises. We knew in advance that massages were extra ($25 for ½ hour and $45 for 1 hour) and a love donation box for tips. Everything else, transportation, beach toys, lockers, changing rooms, drinks, lunch, and much more were included. We all agreed this was a great deal. We would return again, hopefully not after a storm. Even with the seaweed problem we had a great relaxing day.

That evening we again had 5:30 reservation in the Tropicana. Again we told the waiter that we had reservations for the Million Dollar Quartet Show. As on previous nights the food was excellent and the meal well paced. We were finished in plenty of time to attend the show.

As I mentioned earlier I believe that entertainment is one of the strengths of Norwegian Cruise Line. Million Dollar Quartet definitely lives up to that statement. Million Dollar Quartet was the best show that I have seen on a cruise and ranks among the best anywhere. The performers were fantastic and definitely brought in the audience. The show received a much deserved enthusiastic standing ovation. It was so good one of the families went to see it again another night. If you only see one show make this the one.

Day 5 Daily LINK

Thank you for the review of the Maya Chan!! We have reservations for next month, and I was impressed with the communications we have received so far. One question--I believe there is a pool? So if the ocean is un-swim-able, can you hang out on the beach but go for a dunk in the pool?

Thank you for the review of the Maya Chan!! We have reservations for next month, and I was impressed with the communications we have received so far. One question--I believe there is a pool? So if the ocean is un-swim-able, can you hang out on the beach but go for a dunk in the pool?

There is no pool at Maya Chan. It sounds bad with the seaweed, but we still enjoyed the relaxation and pampering. We did get to enjoy water all the other days so really did not miss it one day. I think you will enjoy the resort.

Day 6 - Cozumel, Mexico

We had reserved a Custom Private Cozumel Jeep Tour with Cozumel Cruise Excursions. The email instructions made it very easy to find the representatives. We walked around to the street side of Hooters and our guide Gizmo was waiting for us on the sidewalk. After the introduction Gizmo had us walk to the jeep pick-up point. This point is adjacent to a large grocery store, so if you need to pick up something or use the bathroom that is convenient. Gizmo went to get our jeeps. Since it was a little rainy that morning we received two covered vehicles. We elected to have Gizmo ride along in one vehicle instead of leading with a car. The vehicle that held Gizmo and 4 members of the family was a Hummer H3. It had plenty of room. The second vehicle, a Jeep Rubicon, was driven by one of our sons and had two adults and two children. It was a manual transmission. After getting the vehicles we headed to the office to complete the payment transaction. As has been mentioned in other reviews, the guide was not allowed to drive in the city because of a rule on taxi drivers and Gizmo was not a licensed taxi driver. The transaction was finally completed and off we went to enjoy the day. It was actually nice to drive through the city and get an insight into the local life.

Jeeps.jpg

Since this was a private tour Gizmo asked us what we wanted to do. We gave him an outline of things that we were interested in and told him to schedule the day so that we would be back to the ship one hour before the last boarding time. He gave us a suggested tour and we agreed on everything but decided not to do the tequila museum. We headed out to the other side of the island on a scenic, paved road full of breathtaking views. At the first stop Gizmo took over driving the Hummer. This stop was a straw market where we stopped to purchase some souvenirs.

We continued on to Punta Sur State Refuge. Entrance to this park was included in the private tour cost. We drove through the park via a long, sandy road. Since it had rained the night before the potholes were full of water. My son driving the Rubicon had fun splashing the water as he drove through them. The grandkids enjoyed the “off-road” experience. The first stop in the park was El Caracol, a small ancient Mayan ruin. This ruin was actually used by the Myan’s as a weather alarm. Gizmo was of Mayan descent and shared much about his Mayan culture.

Gizmo.jpg

We then continued on to the Columbia Lagoon, This lagoon had a boardwalk where we able to see a couple of saltwater crocodiles. The crocodiles were resting under the boardwalk so they were a little difficult to photograph.

Lagoon.jpg

From there we continued on to a lighthouse. The younger members of our group climbed to the top and took pictures of the wonderful view. This stop had a convenience store and very clean restrooms.

Lighthouse-view.jpg

At this point we left the park and headed to Tortugas Beach Club to snorkel and have lunch. The six younger members of the family got the included snorkel gear and followed Gizmo in to the water to begin a snorkel tour. Gizmo was excellent with the group and gave them instructions and then led them on about a 45 minute tour. They said as soon as they started the saw 100’s of fish. The family that took the reef snorkeling tour at Harvest Caye said this was a much better tour.

Snorkel_Entry.jpg

The waiters had lunch timed perfectly. They took the lunch orders prior to the snorkel tour and had the meals ready as soon as they completed. Lunch excluding beverage was included in the price of the excursion. It was excellent. We ordered off of a special jeep tour menu.

Menu.jpg

The tour was very good and Gizmo was extra special. Would definitely recommend the tour and Gizmo as a guide.

This evening we had reservations at Moderno Brazilian Steakhouse. Our youngest grandson had picked this restaurant as he wanted to see the waiters bring around the meat on “swords”. He was the one who also discovered Filet Mignon. We have eaten in this restaurant on other ships and have a hit or miss experience. This time it was a definite hit. The meats were cooked excellent. As always the salad bar is very good. You have to be careful here as you can eat so much from the salad bar that you are not hungry for the meat, but you don't want to miss out on the great options there either. When the meats started coming around, I noticed that the grandson kept his card red until the waiter came with the Filet. He then turned the card green and said two please. This meal was definitely an event. It did take us about two hours which was OK as we did not have a show scheduled for that night.

I took the two 13 year old grandkids to the Glow Party which began at 11:30. They enjoyed the excitement and glow sticks. We had brought our own and they also received glow bracelets from the staff, They enjoyed the high tech video to begin the party. We stayed until about 11 and then headed back to the cabin. It had been a busy day.

Day 6 Daily LINK

Day 7 - At Sea

On this day we had nothing planned. Each of the son’s cabins still had non-refundable OBC to use. They decided to go to the ice bar. They thought that it was unique, but probably would not have paid to do it normally. I should mention that each cabin selected the Unlimited Beverage Plan (UBP) and 3 meal Specialty Dining Plan (SDP). These perks were for two people in the cabin, We purchased an extra soft drink package for the additional grandchildren. We never had an extremely long wait at any bar. The service was very good.

My DW and I enjoyed eating breakfast at the Taste or Savor when we did not have an early port day. The Taste opened at 7:00 and the Savor at 7:30. On early port days we ate breakfast at O'Sheehan's. The younger families ate breakfast at the buffet most days.

One of the best kept secrets on the ship was the Waterfront area on deck 8. Many times that area outside was empty and the nice chairs made a wonderful place to just sit. The grand-kids found that there were binoculars there and used them many times. They especially enjoyed looking through them as we entered Roatan Port.

That evening we had reservations in the Tropicana Dining Room. During this meal we celebrated the granddaughters 13th birthday. The wait staff brought out a complimentary birthday cake and sang to her. I know that food is very objective but our family enjoys the complimentary dining rooms on Norwegian. We find the specialty dining to be an event to share, but as far as the food we are perfectly happy with the complimentary dining rooms. It has been many years since we have been on a different cruise line so it is difficult to compare. We are pleased with Norwegian and thanks to the Cruise Next Certificates keep coming back.

Disembarkation - In other reviews I had read the horror of the disembarkation lines and we were prepared for the worst. We decided to select the 8:45 time. We had also made the decision to wait around the cabin area until our color was called. When our color was called, we went up the forward steps to deck 7 where we hit a short line. This line moved constantly and we were off the ship quickly. Our baggage are was quite a walk from the point that we entered. It ended up being in the room very close to customs. There were many custom lines so none of them were extremely long. The movement of the line depended upon how long customs spent with an individual. My wife and I happened to select a line that ended up moving very slowly. There was a family that was at customs for a long time. The lines that the other families were in moved quickly. It was the luck of the draw, nothing to complain about.

We had rented a private van from Shuttle 2Go to take us to FLL Airport. Because of construction, the pickup for private transportation is chaotic. All the vehicles have to drive by the island between Terminal B and C. You had to watch for the vehicle and make way through the crowd to the spot where the vehicle was able to pull in. The past years, Shuttle 2Go was parked in the lot next to Terminal B and we just walked to them. That lot is no longer there. We arrived at the airport in plenty of time for our 1:55 flight.

Hope that you were able to find some useful information in this review. Looking back at it, I know that I spent more time on the port excursions than the ship. I find excursions to be my main concern after booking a cruise. We always expect a great cruise with Norwegian and have yet to be disappointed. Yes we even survived the cruise without straws. Bought our Cruise Next Certificates and are already researching the next family cruise.

Day 7 Daily LINK with disembarkation information.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do the review. Love that you do family vacations. I have a lot of wonderful memories of family vacations with grandparents when our children were young.

You said that finding your private transportation was chaotic. Did you happen to see many taxis? There will only be two of us this time and our flight does not leave until 4 pm so will probably stay on the ship until the last call.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do the review. Love that you do family vacations. I have a lot of wonderful memories of family vacations with grandparents when our children were young.

You said that finding your private transportation was chaotic. Did you happen to see many taxis? There will only be two of us this time and our flight does not leave until 4 pm so will probably stay on the ship until the last call.

I saw many taxis and Ubers. The taxis were closer to the center of the island. They seemed to be easier to catch as they had a staging area for the taxi. They also had a staging area for Uber so there always was one available, Don't know about Lyft as I did not open that app.