Ultimate Beverage Package vs. Unlimited Open Bar!

NCL have I troducedithe Unlimited Open Bar which replaces the Ultimate Beverage Package. I asked NCL today what the difference was only to be told that there was no difference. Thr definition of "unlimited" is no limitations. This would imply that that any thing is available including top shelf liquors and best wines from the wine cellers. Obviously this is not the case.

I would suggest that the marketing department of NCL go back to grade school and review the meaning of unlimited.

Unless I have missed something, the open bar applies to short cruises and is ship wide. It isn’t a replacement of the UBP, which is offered as a perk, or for purchase on most cruises. They are two different things.

As I say, unless I’ve missed something.

Unless I have missed something, the open bar applies to short cruises and is ship wide. It isn’t a replacement of the UBP, which is offered as a perk, or for purchase on most cruises. They are two different things.

As I say, unless I’ve missed something.

On ncl.com (usa site) they changed the promo terminology from UBP to Unlimited Open Bar

On ncl.com (usa site) they changed the promo terminology from UBP to Unlimited Open Bar

OK, I don’t get to see NCL.com, so I can’t comment on that.

My guess is that it is just a name change, although that would be the same as is offered on those short cruises. Confusion will probably reign.

As for the OPs point about the marketing. I’ll put that in the big company dodgy marketing slogan horror file. That is a very big file.

NCL have I troducedithe Unlimited Open Bar which replaces the Ultimate Beverage Package. I asked NCL today what the difference was only to be told that there was no difference. Thr definition of "unlimited" is no limitations. This would imply that that any thing is available including top shelf liquors and best wines from the wine cellers. Obviously this is not the case.

I would suggest that the marketing department of NCL go back to grade school and review the meaning of unlimited.

I would suggest that you read the terms and conditions that accompany the advertisement to learn the definition of “unlimited”. Not sure that there are many people who would blindly fork out cash without Understanding what they are buying. Reading is something they teach in grade school.

Edited by BirdTravels

I work for the American Marketing Association, the trade association for marketers in North America. We've had marketers from MSC attend some of our training sessions; perhaps I should work on getting NCL's folks in.

-- Michael

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar)

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Eligible guests are entitled to one beverage per person per transaction.

Includes a variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board.

Offer is not applicable at Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.

Does not include Ice Bars, room service, package sales, bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated super premium brands (subject to change),

bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

Guest who receive the Soda Package may obtain fountain soda at any bar, lounge or restaurant throughout the duration of the cruise, excluding Harvest Caye bars, restaurants, or venues.

Guest's check may reflect applicable VAT and/or taxes for certain ports or itineraries.

Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($17.80 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.59 USD per person per day) prior to cruise.

Retail value of Ultimate Beverage Package is $89.00 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

Retail value of the Adult Soda Package is $7.50 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

20% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package and/or Soda Package are included when booking through the Australia office.

When booking through the Australia office, gratuities related to beverage and soda packages are included. "

Looks like its interchangeable now. Also back down to 1 drink at a time

Actually, a lot has changed. There are no super premiums on the "unlimited open bar" cruises. Even a lot of premiums aren't included. There are actually only a handful of each type of liquor. Abysmal beer and wine selection. Put it this way, if a reputable bar on land advertised an "open bar" and they served what NCL did, customers wouldn't be too happy.

But then again, you're talking about a cruise line whose best, top of the line beverage package doesn't even included bottled water, juice or specialty coffees.

Compared to others in the industry, NCL's offerings are the worst.

On RCCL we usually get the RR package which incudes non-alcoholic cocktails, bottled water, fresh juice and special coffees. NCL doesn't appear to have a comparable package. If we do not drink, would we be better off purchasing soda packages and buying non-alcohol frozen drinks on our own rather than taking the free promotion for the UBP? Would everyone in the room have to purchase the pkg if we did choose it?

If we do not drink, would we be better off purchasing soda packages and buying non-alcohol frozen drinks on our own rather than taking the free promotion for the UBP? Would everyone in the room have to purchase the pkg if we did choose it?

If guests 1 & 2 take the promo, nobody else has to buy anything.

If any guests BUYS the UBP, every adult (21 and over) in the stateroom has to also buy the UBP and those under 21 have to buy a soda program.

If any guests buys a soda program, nobody else has to buy anything.

There is a difference folks. We learned this on the Sun last month. We’ve done the UBP over 12 times previous to this and there is nothing they won’t make, albeit some top shelves require a slight up charge (ie Hendricks Gin). The Open Bar excludes MOST Martinis regardless of their ingredients except two in the spirits menu. We don’t do Martinis is the answer we got consistently except for those two on the menu. Espresso, chocolate, lemon drop, apple, or others are not an option even with an up charge. There are some others they don’t do. Like many things on NCL YMMV but the answers were consistent from server to server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Ultimate Beverage Package (Unlimited Open Bar)

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.

Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Ultimate Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.

Eligible guests are entitled to one beverage per person per transaction.

Includes a variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD. Includes fountain soda and juice, and non-alcoholic beer.

If that is true it is a heck of a change as lots of the better spirits and so on are not included on the Unlimited Open Bar bar menus I have seen.

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

single malt scotch

Not free.

Ahhh.. but Johnny Walker Red is free. :rolleyes:

Is there an upgrade possible to a better package? We typically sail Celebrity and pay to upgrade to the premium package where good stuff is included. Or is the SUPER PREMIUM listed at that link the per-drink cost of just an upgrade? That could get expensive in a hurry.

The ship's water (free of charge) can be had at several locations throughout the ship. No beverage package needed for water.

Is the ships water bottled water or just plain water in the buffet? Also, no martinis at most bars? This is going to be my first NCL cruise and we took the beverage package as one of the “freebies” but with a 20% gratuity this is going to cost a lot of money on the TA cruise. The rep told me it included water and speciality coffee. Seems he was mistaken

Is the ships water bottled water or just plain water in the buffet? Also, no martinis at most bars? This is going to be my first NCL cruise and we took the beverage package as one of the “freebies” but with a 20% gratuity this is going to cost a lot of money on the TA cruise. The rep told me it included water and speciality coffee. Seems he was mistaken

Have ordered martinis at all bars for no extra charge.

Compare UBP to paying by the drink or any beverage package on any cruise line and compare which costs more.