Quick review of Celeystal Cuba 11/25/16 cruise

nansi

mlbcruiser,

I have to check at home but I think it was the first day at sea (meaning the ex Punta Frances day) for the Captain´s Welcome Gala. But that was mainly a regular dinner. Pre dinner there were cocktails and post dinner there was a photo op with the Captain and then in the Muses Lounge he introduced his officers and heads of departments.

On the first day Havana (I just uploaded this part of my review) there was no show and dinner was only served in the Amalthia restaurant (plus Leda buffet). The second main dining room Olympus was not open that day.

steamboats

I just got back. The tours were all varied and interesting You could wander about as lone as you got back on the bus at the right time. It seemed the hit all the tourist type spots as well as a few that were just interesting. It did depend on your guide how much extra information you were given. But I enjoyed all of them and left this cruise with a new found appreciation for the Cuban people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We just drove my the Hotel Nacionale a few times. If you wanted to go there on your own, you would have to take a taxi. It's quite a distance away from old Havana. As for the tours, they were pretty good. The afternoon in Havana you can choose whether you want to do the art museum or the Museum of the Revolution. Agree with steamboats that Gala dinner was the sea day after Havana.

Glad to know that we can get tour bus departure times so that we CAN wander around on our own at times we don't find a particular place or guide very interesting.

Are the Amalthia and Olympus dining rooms similar? I hope there are enough people on this cruise that the usual venues are usually open and available. (On the other hand, if it's not, it might be easier to find a deck chair on sea days, lol!)

Thanks, Stacie 0615 and surfcitygirl for answering my questions.

Edited by mlbcruiser

Checked my dailies and my memory is still working ok :D - Captain´s Cocktail Party was on Wednesday / sea day (ex Punta Frances).

Amalthia and Olympus dining rooms have the same menu. It´s open seating starting at 6:30 pm. Amalthia has more larger tables, Olympus has more smaller tables. Amalthia is more red, Olympus beige and golden - decor wise.

steamboats

Our best day in Havana was the second day. We blew off the tours and went on our own. We hired a driver, $50 CUC. 1950 yellow Chevy convertible. He drove us to parts of the city the organized tour didn't go. We had lunch and then back to the ship. It was a great day and we were very glad we ventured off.

Carol

• LauraS unpinned this topic