Disney Cruise Line Tip Thread 2.0

Host Mick

I only have experience with Fantasy. The minute you board the ship go straight to guest services and book a mixology class. So fun! If you can, try booking palo for a dinner and a brunch (not back to back though) ...both are great

Definitely do the mickey’s detective agency thing...(now I can’t rember what it’s called)...a fun family activity

• 3 weeks later...
I was looking for tips and found this great list on the now locked first tips thread.

One thing not mentioned is how to find out what day pre-cruise new cruisers can start signing up for things on line.

Is it final payment day?

90 days pre-cruise?

Something else?

Thanks

Brand-new to DCL cruisers it is 75 days out - which in most cases is final payment.

Can anyone give advice about an Oceanview room vs a Verandah with a young child?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We really never spent time on the verandah when we had one. Maybe if your child will go to bed early and you want to hang out on the veranda? But we never did that. I like the ocean view bc they have a nice window seat

We really never spent time on the verandah when we had one. Maybe if your child will go to bed early and you want to hang out on the veranda? But we never did that. I like the ocean view bc they have a nice window seat

Not all. Only the Deluxe Family Ocean View cabins have the huge windows with the seat (The Cat 8b-8D on the Dream and Fantasy). The other OV categories are windows only (some of the 9Cs on the Magic and Wonder in the very front of the ship have a "shelf" under the window because of the curvature of the ship, but it's not a true seat like the Cat 8s on the Dream and Fantasy.)

Just as a note for the verandah - you are not supposed to keep the door open as it a) creates a vacuum effect and b) affects the a/c system for the whole block of cabins which can include OV and Inside where they have no alternative cooling option. So I'm not sure I'd use it as a conversation spot while a child slept unless you were ok with the door being closed.

Not all. Only the Deluxe Family Ocean View cabins have the huge windows with the seat (The Cat 8b-8D on the Dream and Fantasy). The other OV categories are windows only (some of the 9Cs on the Magic and Wonder in the very front of the ship have a "shelf" under the window because of the curvature of the ship, but it's not a true seat like the Cat 8s on the Dream and Fantasy.)

Just as a note for the verandah - you are not supposed to keep the door open as it a) creates a vacuum effect and b) affects the a/c system for the whole block of cabins which can include OV and Inside where they have no alternative cooling option. So I'm not sure I'd use it as a conversation spot while a child slept unless you were ok with the door being closed.

Thank you for the info about the window seat categories- when it’s time to book it will make it easier to determine what is available. I would either do verandah or those window seats, probably depending on price. Our son will be 5, so I think I’d be ok with him sleeping inside while we relaxed on the verandah. Might be nice to have coffee out there in the mornings as well?

Thank you for the info about the window seat categories- when it’s time to book it will make it easier to determine what is available. I would either do verandah or those window seats, probably depending on price. Our son will be 5, so I think I’d be ok with him sleeping inside while we relaxed on the verandah. Might be nice to have coffee out there in the mornings as well?

I don't know. I'm an Ocean View girl myself. Hare to justify the extra cost of the veranda for myself.

Having my morning coffee on the balcony is one of my favorite parts of cruising.

My only concern with a 5 year old would be if he's a climber.

(Full disclosure - I'm a worrier)

I would worry about him pulling the chair over to the railing and climbing up on the railing.

That said - we just cruised with our 7 grandchildren (and their parents) - ranging in age from 2 -12 and no one ever did that.

I think I would feel slightly claustrophobic in an ocean view.

So each to his own.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2019 at 10:04 PM, elloco07 said:

So today all extra on board activities are sold out in less than 12 hrs, would I be able to book some of these in person on boarding day? 

When you check in, you will be given a paper copy of the personal navigator which lists the locations on the ship where you can change dining arrangements, book Palo/Remy and tasting classes, etc. Go there and try your luck. Also, check often before sailing, sometimes people cancel last minute. Pixie dust!

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, chamima said:

Having my morning coffee on the balcony is one of my favorite parts of cruising.

I would worry about him pulling the chair over to the railing and climbing up on the railing.

That said - we just cruised with our 7 grandchildren (and their parents) - ranging in age from 2 -12 and no one ever did that.

So each to his own.

We've cruised with both of our kids 13 times, all in verandah or large balconies. So long as you do not let the 5yo wander on his own/unattended, you'll be fine. To us the balcony and private fresh air away from crowds is well worth the extra cost, but as you say, it's def a personal thing.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/6/2018 at 12:58 PM, IsabelG said:

Can anyone give advice about an Oceanview room vs a Verandah with a young child?

I never went for an Oceanview, as there's rarely anything you can SEE outside the portholes:
There's nothing at sea, and even less at night, and if you're enjoying shore activities, you'll miss a day view of the port if you get one.  

I suppose having a porthole, for light, makes the cabin seem less closed-in and gives a place to sit, but with a large family group, it's nothing to pay extra for.

• 1 year later...

Hi All.  I have done many cruises but this is my first DCL.  I am traveling with two families of 4 (one of which is my own) and my parents, so 10 people total.  We are going on Disney Magic in February so reservations can't be made quite yet.  Can someone give me an idea of what things we need to make reservations for so I can be ready?  I know the dining rotates and does not need a reservation other than Palo, which we wont be doing.  Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 4/7/2018 at 8:27 AM, chamima said:

So each to his own.

I could not sail without a balcony. It is worth every penny. The view, relaxing after an excursion or after returning from the pool, the ocean breeze, the smell of the sea and  the privacy all in my own wonderland!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

We will be cruising the British Isles itinerary next year and wanted to get feedback on which trip insurance to get.  To complicate things, we'll use DVC points to "pay" the cruise cost.  This won't make it easy to calculate how much the cost of the cruise will be when asked by a 3rd party insurer for costing of the policy.  Is our only option to utilize the Disney trip interruption insurance?  Thank you!