Cruising from Cape Liberty - hmmmm, what to do

willow0325

Greetings fellow cruisers! Doing some pre-cruise planning for our 2019 cruise out of Cape Liberty. We'll be driving in a day or two early from Western New York. Other than going into NYC, has anyone found anything else of interest to do for a day two pre-cruise? Perhaps stayed in an interesting area and then drove to the port on cruise day? We like to start our cruise vacations a couple of days early but I'm struggling to find anything of interest. Also, is the drive to the cruise port relatively simple (let's say - compared to driving to the Manhattan cruiseport!)? Thanks, all !

Not knowing the particular interests of the OP it’s hard to make specific recommendations. That said, they could stay in Westchester county and take the train down to to a NYC and I am sure find some places of interest.

I'm sorry, yes I guess that was vague. We've been to New York City many, many times and aren't interested in going again. So I wondered if there are other areas of interest outside of that area that people may stay at pre-cruise.

Greetings fellow cruisers! Doing some pre-cruise planning for our 2019 cruise out of Cape Liberty. We'll be driving in a day or two early from Western New York. Other than going into NYC, has anyone found anything else of interest to do for a day two pre-cruise? Perhaps stayed in an interesting area and then drove to the port on cruise day? We like to start our cruise vacations a couple of days early but I'm struggling to find anything of interest. Also, is the drive to the cruise port relatively simple (let's say - compared to driving to the Manhattan cruiseport!)? Thanks, all !

You did not provide dates, which would be helpful. Jersey shore, Atlantic City, are possibilities. Cape May for a relaxed quiet day or two. Lancaster PA area, if you wish to drive further out of your way, is about 3 hour drive to Cape Liberty.

Much easier drive to Cape Liberty than MCT. Exit 14A from the NJ Turnpike(be aware there are multiple exit14's). Parking at cruise port is $20 day. Arrive prior to 11 am so as to avoid vehicle back up in front on terminal due to dropping luggage before parking.

You did not provide dates, which would be helpful. Jersey shore, Atlantic City, are possibilities. Cape May for a relaxed quiet day or two. Lancaster PA area, if you wish to drive further out of your way, is about 3 hour drive to Cape Liberty.

Much easier drive to Cape Liberty than MCT. Exit 14A from the NJ Turnpike(be aware there are multiple exit14's). Parking at cruise port is $20 day. Arrive prior to 11 am so as to avoid vehicle back up in front on terminal due to dropping luggage before parking.

Thank you, much appreciated. We enjoy the Lancaster area but really out of the way for where we're coming from. When you say "Jersey shore", what city/town would search? We're thinking about VRBO.

Would a drive in from Cape May be relatively easy? How long of a drive would that be? Thank you again!

You are welcome. I would allow 3 hours from Cape May to Bayonne via Garden State Parkway and then the NJTP. There should be little traffic on the southern part of the GSP and by the time you are on the NJTP, in the north, the heavy morning traffic should be finished.

Jersey shore is the whole region along the Atlantic coast. Wildwood and towns in that area are less active. Long Beach is another area to look into.

How about the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, several hotels near by. You can either do tours of Statue that include a walk up the stairs to the crown or you can just do your own thing. Please check all the security rules for statue visitation.

You could also visit the Teardrop Memorial and get the lay of the land before going to the cruise ship. There is a small parking lot near the memorial so you could do it before you get on the ship.

• 4 months later...

There’s Liberty Science Center in Jersey City. There’s the waterfront in Wehawkin/ Hoboken. Dinner at the Chart House in Weehawkin is fabulous and has the best view of NYC skyline. Of course there is Jersey Gardens outlet mall with tax free shopping!

Where are you from in Western NY? My family lived in Batavia and my daughter and son in law went to Elmira College and then moved to his hometown of Rochester.

Hope you find fun things to do.

As an odd ball suggestion, maybe West Point?  Totally different, but it’s an amazing area with a ton of natural beauty, and history. Maybe a day in that area, then on to Jersey as others have suggested. Kind of depends on where you’re coming from...

• 3 weeks later...