Post cruise, which is faster, taxi or car service to LaGuardia?

lakelivin2

We are a family of four with usual 4 luggage and 4 carry-on disembarking Manhattan terminal Dec. 9. We need quick transport to LaGuardia (we're doing self disembark on the Escape) and want to know if it's quicker to grab a taxi, or arrange car service from the terminal. We are able bodied and just need a quick departure. Thanks for any advice!

Without seeing your exact disembarking date, this is what I would do. 4 adults, 4 bags plus 4 carry-on will not get into any taxi on a metered run to LGA, you will want to get a minivan taxi or maybe the newest Nissan NV200, as those should work. If you get off early n quickly, use porter's services for faster exit thru CBP out to ground transportation. Walk across 12th Ave to corner taxi stand, usually the line moved quickly with a dispatcher on duty. Ignore the scanners, some acting as Uber when they aren't.

Or, just as fast, call Dial7 or Carmel for a pickup across 12th Ave as you leave CBP area, while walking out of terminal. Except for our last Halloween's return on Marathon Sunday, the car service & driver got there in about 10 minutes ... about the same time as waiting with the taxi queue. They charged a flat rate plus toll, $8.50 and be sure the driver to use the fastest route. For Sunday's, we've gone north on the West Side Hwy, across 125th Street n then the RFK Bridge to BQE, Queens to LGA, all in about 30 minutes or less.

Use Google Maps/Navigation or Waze to check your route options yourself, but mostly avoid the crosstown run to Queens Midtown Tunnel as it's one lane each way only on weekends & will cost big time. Drivers that avoid tolls using the Ed Koch or 59th St East River Bridge end up paying for it with delays & extra time at red lights.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Without seeing your exact disembarking date, this is what I would do. 4 adults, 4 bags plus 4 carry-on will not get into any taxi on a metered run to LGA, you will want to get a minivan taxi or maybe the newest Nissan NV200, as those should work. If you get off early n quickly, use porter's services for faster exit thru CBP out to ground transportation. Walk across 12th Ave to corner taxi stand, usually the line moved quickly with a dispatcher on duty. Ignore the scanners, some acting as Uber when they aren't.

Or, just as fast, call Dial7 or Carmel for a pickup across 12th Ave as you leave CBP area, while walking out of terminal. Except for our last Halloween's return on Marathon Sunday, the car service & driver got there in about 10 minutes ... about the same time as waiting with the taxi queue. They charged a flat rate plus toll, $8.50 and be sure the driver to use the fastest route. For Sunday's, we've gone north on the West Side Hwy, across 125th Street n then the RFK Bridge to BQE, Queens to LGA, all in about 30 minutes or less.

Use Google Maps/Navigation or Waze to check your route options yourself, but mostly avoid the crosstown run to Queens Midtown Tunnel as it's one lane each way only on weekends & will cost big time. Drivers that avoid tolls using the Ed Koch or 59th St East River Bridge end up paying for it with delays & extra time at red lights.

Thanks for this. I wasn't sure how quickly the car services would get there to pick us up. I'll take your advice and book ahead of time...we are taking Carmel from the airport to the hotel in Manhattan on November 23, so I'll just book the return on December 9. It's great to ask people from the area and get good advice.

:(

Thanks for the information. You mentioned the marathon how bad did that mess up traffic?

:(Thanks for the information. You mentioned the marathon how bad did that mess up traffic?
It's bad if your route to Queens - LGA/JFK somehow crossed the runner's path and almost all taxi/car service drivers know better than to head for it ... Uber/Lyft drivers, maybe not (if they are on the road, driving & doing rides with surge/congestion pricing.) Those heading to EWR are fine, as are those doing the short trip to train & bus terminal.

Shouldn't affect those of us disembarking on Sunday morning, just allow a few extra minutes for drivers to work their way thru traffic, especially if you are booked in advance & queued already in the dispatch system.

Car services were allowed to come into the MCT that morning last year, but, traffic waiting to get into the terminal & pickup area was a mess, perhaps worst than usual and our ship was the only one that morning. Porter took us to the street level pickup area & said we would be fine ... should've trust my own instinct and gone across 12th Ave to wait. Long story short, 25+ minutes later than usual, driver/vehicle assigned by Carmel blinked on the mobile app as approaching, met him on W. 49 St near 12th Avenue (one-way, west bound) & picked up ... hop in, took off for the West Side Hwy north to I-95, Cross Bronx E. to Queens ... traffic was light & we avoided all the bottleneck further east in town. Pulled up to the house's curbside less than 30 minutes later, that's 10+ minutes extra further than going to LGA.

There might be fewer taxis and car service drivers working that morning. Just a matter of staying far & clear anywhere near the Marathon route thru the neighborhood. Not really bad or worst than usual, IMHO>

On a Halloween cruise again in a few weeks and guest what ... ha ha, LOL.

We are a family of four with usual 4 luggage and 4 carry-on disembarking Manhattan terminal Dec. 9. We need quick transport to LaGuardia (we're doing self disembark on the Escape) and want to know if it's quicker to grab a taxi, or arrange car service from the terminal. We are able bodied and just need a quick departure. Thanks for any advice!

Car service will cost a lot less . A lot of people suggest names of car services on CC .Make a list ,check them out on line.