NCL Escape - Sept 1, 2019 Hotel and Transportation Recommendations

PartyAnimal

I will be with a group of 16 traveling from Northern California. This will be the first time a lot of us have ever been to New York and we plan to come in a couple days early. That being said I know nothing about Hotels in NY, what is your recommendation for somewhere near the attractions/transportation that won't break our bank. Would like recommendations for transportation from the airport for a group as well.

I will be with a group of 16 traveling from Northern California. This will be the first time a lot of us have ever been to New York and we plan to come in a couple days early. That being said I know nothing about Hotels in NY, what is your recommendation for somewhere near the attractions/transportation that won't break our bank. Would like recommendations for transportation from the airport for a group as well.

1). What are your exact dates you need hotel rooms?

2). How many rooms, how many people per room, and bed size requirements?

3) What airport are you flying into?

4). What is your budget range for a hotel room per night?

The closer you are to Times Square the more expensive the hotel is. I've stayed in Manhattan many times and these hotels are nice:

Hilton Garden Inn - West 35th Street

Hampton Inn - West 35th Street (both of these are within walking distance of Penn Station and near many subway stations and Macys)

Homewood Suites Midtown Manhattan Times Square South (about 2 blocks North from Penn Station)

(has a mini kitchen)

Salisbury Hotel is on 57th Street. I remember it was a nice hotel,

Hilton Garden Inn- Financial Center (it's the southern most point in Manhattan, across from the Staten Island ferry). Near several different subway lines, but away from alot of the touristy sites. It's generally inexpensive compared to other hotels though. Most hotels in the financial district are cheaper on the weekend.

Marriott Marquis and Crowne Plaza both in Times Square are nice. Since they are so centrally located they can be pricey.

**Wherever you stay, request a high floor - otherwise it's really noisy.

New York City hotels offer a wide variety of choices, many not inexpensive. The OP has time for research and the post is a good start. Suggest identify a few hotels that meet their needs and then check TripAdvisor and seek comments here on CC.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, 138east said:

1). What are your exact dates you need hotel rooms?

2). How many rooms, how many people per room, and bed size requirements?

3) What airport are you flying into?

4). What is your budget range for a hotel room per night?

We plan to fly in two days in advance so August 30th and 31st.  Two per room or perhaps 4 in some cases.  Not sure what airport yet as I don't believe anyone has bought airline tickets.  Which is recommended?  I don't have a range as I really don't know.  I do know that I don't want to break the bank though so I guess around 200 a night or lower.

$200 is a very low budget.  The good news is that it is Labor Day weekend so that there is an excellent chance based on past prices that there will be deals closer to your date.  Business travel will be nonexistent for that weekend as folks clear out of Manhattan for the holiday.  Lower Manhattan will likely offer good  deals as you date approaches.  New Jersey (particularly Jersey City) will likely also offer good options close to public transit into Manhattan.

Booking for 16 people is like herding cats.  The first step is to look at airline prices to La Guardia and Newark.  JFK is out unless you can get a great deal.

Talk to your group about flights and post back when you have options.  For example, if you fly into Newark, the Newark Penn Station Hilton is listed at $143 plus tax for your dates with options for king or 2 double beds. The hotel offers a free shuttle from the airport, but might not be able to accommodate 16 people at one time. This hotel is located at Newark Penn Station with NJ Transit train to New York Penn Station for $5.25 pp each way or PATH to midtown or downtown for $2.75 pp each way.  On your cruise morning you could take the train to Manhattan and cabs to the port or you could pay for car service transportation.  Public transit time is about 30 minutes.  There is a current post about staying at the Hilton.

If you fly into LGA, staying in NJ will not be a cost effective option.  You will have to chance finding a Manhattan hotel or a hotel in Queens with good Manhattan subway connections.