Boston driving help?

bones774

Hi, I'm driving from NYC into Boston, i'll be arriving on a Wednesday but not sailing right away so time is not critical to me, only traffic.. Is there any long term traffic problems? anything to be aware of? rush hour traffic? good time to enter Boston area? Should I arrive wed AM? or midday? thanks

Hi, I'm driving from NYC into Boston, i'll be arriving on a Wednesday but not sailing right away so time is not critical to me, only traffic.. Is there any long term traffic problems? anything to be aware of? rush hour traffic? good time to enter Boston area? Should I arrive wed AM? or midday? thanks

What is your exact destination in Boston? Where in NYC are you coming from?

My daughter went to BU. You need to follow Waze. I would leave right after rush hour if getting there early is not imperative.

I hate relying solely on Waze, power problems, connectivity, data, anything could go wrong.

Does your daughter have a good career now?

I hate relying solely on Waze, power problems, connectivity, data, anything could go wrong.

Does your daughter have a good career now?

Yes my daughter has a good career. [emoji2] she majored in communications.

I use Waze plugged into the Power of the Car. The only way to beat the traffic. Never had an issue. And I used it in places where we had no clue where we were going. California , down South. Never let us down.

Or, use Google Map, offline mode by downloading ahead of time, thus w/o benefits of real-time traffic guidance for navigation ... which integrate feeds from Waze. As noted above, best solution for getting alert on constructions, lane closure, major accidents & incidents ahead, speed trap & red light camera, etc.

Without using one or similar apps - wait till the morning rush hour is nearly over, leave & pickup the Hutch RP which become the Merritt Parkway at the state line, straight for New Haven/Hartford (I hate & avoid I-95) ... Merge/pickup I-91 North toward Hartford, continue I-84 East toward Mass Turnpike ... once on Mass Pike, continue east into Boston, etc.

Been doing this for nearly 40 years ... fairly predictable, under 3 hours with 1 stop for restroom & coffee mid-point in CT ... get into downtown for a late lunch, where parking is almost as expensive as NYC & hard to find, many places are resident parking by permit only.

I totally agree with mking8288's advice. We have been doing this exact trip several times a year for 35+ years to Westchester and beyond.

The construction of the BU bridge is apparently complete - lucky you! This construction caused havoc in the BU area for about 2 weeks,

• 1 month later...
Yes, the Sox have home field advantage.[/quote

Its a late start, 8:15, I could be outta boston by then or just around that time. My kids do the navigation and always complain Waze eats up there data(unless of course they were looking up something for themselves)

Yes, the Sox have home field advantage.[/quote

Its a late start, 8:15, I could be outta boston by then or just around that time. My kids do the navigation and always complain Waze eats up there data(unless of course they were looking up something for themselves)

Just because it’s a late start don’t fool yourself into thinking Boston around BU won’t be crazy. My dd attended BU. All the parking for Fenway is on Comm Ave. There’s also a bunch of famous bars around Fenway that fans start lining up to get into in the a.m.

I have unlimited data on ATT. I think we got it when my dd started BU in 2005. They don’t offer it any longer but we were grandfathered in. I couldn’t live without unlimited data. lol

Getting to BU any time before 5PM will be zero issue. After that it may get tough

Leaving at any time prior to 10PM will be easy

Planning on getting to BU at 10AM and be on the road home maybe 7 PM(that might get involved in arriving traffic) anyway I hope you are right. I'm counting on same thing. I suspect the city will be at a standstill starting at 8:15, lol. Thanks

... kids do the navigation and always complain Waze eats up there data(unless of course they were looking up something for themselves)

Waze and Google Maps themselves do not use a lot of mobile/cellular data, and can be configured to turned off background use. You can review data usage and also configure it to run in offline mode (minus the benefits of real-time traffic integration about accidents, congestions & incidents ahead, including speed/red light camera, etc.).

I have not noticed these app using an excessive amount of data while running on Androids, I don't believe it's different on iOS platform.

Waze and Google Maps themselves do not use a lot of mobile/cellular data, and can be configured to turned off background use. You can review data usage and also configure it to run in offline mode (minus the benefits of real-time traffic integration about accidents, congestions & incidents ahead, including speed/red light camera, etc.).

I have not noticed these app using an excessive amount of data while running on Androids, I don't believe it's different on iOS platform.

I don't know that's what my kids say.

In and outtta Boston no problem. What's the deal with the southside resident parking? I got a nice spot there and was led to believe I would get a ticket so I moved my car to a meter. Was I flim flamed? thanks

Not familiar with "southside" anything. South End? Yes. South Boston? Yes.

Tons of street spaces in Boston are reserved for residents as many buildings don't have their own parking. Hefty fine if you park in them at the wrong time. Often it's legal to park there on weekends, though.