Elizabeth, NJ hotel question

P.A.

Well now I'm second guessing my hotel choice in Elizabeth. Currently we have booked the Country Inn & Suites across from the mall. We will not have a car so needed close to restaurants and the mall is a plus!:D This will be in Oct 2018.

Now I'm looking into the Embassy Suites. It is suppose to be close to the mall too. Not sure how far each one is as far as walking distance.

Problem is...the ES is about $100 more. Is it worth it to pay that much more? Both hotels have good reviews on TA.

The only reason I even looked into it was because I new ES has a full cooked to order breakfast and an evening cocktails.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. :confused:

Well now I'm second guessing my hotel choice in Elizabeth. Currently we have booked the Country Inn & Suites across from the mall. We will not have a car so needed close to restaurants and the mall is a plus!:D This will be in Oct 2018.

Now I'm looking into the Embassy Suites. It is suppose to be close to the mall too. Not sure how far each one is as far as walking distance.

Problem is...the ES is about $100 more. Is it worth it to pay that much more? Both hotels have good reviews on TA.

The only reason I even looked into it was because I new ES has a full cooked to order breakfast and an evening cocktails.

Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated. :confused:

Country Inns and Embassy Suites are across the street from one another on International Blvd.

Due to NJ liquor laws the happy hour is limited to one free cocktail. Someone listed that additional drinks of a similar kind are $2.

A cooked to order breakfast sounds nice, but you're headed to the Anthem which boards early and has lunch venues that open at 11 am.

I thought I had 2 coupons for free cocktails...anyway...

The ES is WAY newer than the Country Inn. They're about 50 paces apart.

The elevators at the CI are slower than molasses in January, the rooms at ES are a lot bigger and are all suites, as opposed to some suites at the CI. I am not sure if the CI's renovations are done-seems as if they've been redoing the place for 5 years.

You can't go wrong with either. You can also check the Residence Inn and/or Courtyard EWR/Elizabeth. They are both sort of behind the other 2, all in the same complex. You don't want to look at the Courtyard Newark Airport (nor the SpringHill Suites or Fairfield Inn as they're not near anything to do/eat)

The ES shuttle will not take you to the mall, the CI, CY, and RI may. (they did in the past) You CAN walk, many do but if it's bad weather, yuck. It's not far but it's a HUGE parking lot and there are a lot of lousy out-of-state drivers.

• Haha 1

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites twice -- fall of 2017 and June of 2018. I just want to emphasize that the ES and the Country Inn are literally across from each other.

We have had no problem walking to the large mall, but have never walked over for dinner. There is also a Ruby Tuesday a few steps away from either property. The ES does have a on-site restaurant open during dinner.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites this winter and liked it, and would stay there again. Very comfortable room (a suite as others have noted) and friendly staff. And yes, we were going to be eating on Anthem for the next nine days, but we still enjoyed having a good breakfast before heading off to the port. :D

We were at Country Inn & Suites last October...even though we got this hotel for points...it wasn't worth it..:eek:

Ashland...could you please elaborate why? Problems with hotel, cleanliness, bugs, etc?? Thank you!

Ashland...could you please elaborate why? Problems with hotel, cleanliness, bugs, etc?? Thank you!

Renovations still ongoing and apparently have been for years...we saw the blocked off area but actually saw no work going on during our pre-cruise stay.

Our room was so dirty feeling and looking and could see mold in the bathroom (and keep in mind we were upgraded due to our points & status)...We got in late and it was only for one night but I couldn't wait to get out of there. I would opt next time for the Residence or Embassy...their all really right next to each other. Also wasn't impressed with Ruby Tuesdays wish we would have walked a few more steps and gone to the IHOP.

Just so you know, both hotels do a shuttle to the ship (and back if required). The shuttle is done by the same company for both hotels, but its $20pp from the ES and $17.50 from the CI. Don't ask me why its different. We even got on the shuttle at the ES and as we had space, went to pick up some people from the CI!

Simon

Also wasn't impressed with Ruby Tuesdays wish we would have walked a few more steps and gone to the IHOP.

So funny because we had an excellent meal there and even went back the next night for dinner as well! :D

OP, I see you will make your decision later, but for us, Embassy Suites properties are just awful. We hate the whole feeling of the inner courtyard area thing they have going on, but I know many people love it. In my opinion, it is not worth $100 extra, no way. That money could be spent toward an excursion or toward the shipboard account, if necessary. We have stayed at the CI there twice and it was great, no complaints.

Additionally, I would forego the hotel shuttle to the pier (which is crowded!!) and go for a car service. The hotel desk can set it up for you and it costs about $60.00. MUCH more pleasant than the dozens, potentially hundreds of people waiting for the shuttle.

So funny because we had an excellent meal there and even went back the next night for dinner as well! :D

OP, I see you will make your decision later, but for us, Embassy Suites properties are just awful. We hate the whole feeling of the inner courtyard area thing they have going on, but I know many people love it. In my opinion, it is not worth $100 extra, no way. That money could be spent toward an excursion or toward the shipboard account, if necessary. We have stayed at the CI there twice and it was great, no complaints.

Additionally, I would forego the hotel shuttle to the pier (which is crowded!!) and go for a car service. The hotel desk can set it up for you and it costs about $60.00. MUCH more pleasant than the dozens, potentially hundreds of people waiting for the shuttle.

This Embassy Suites does not have an inner courtyard. The rooms are regular hotel rooms (suites) with windows on the outside, not on an inner courtyard.

Hi friend....I guess I shouldn't have ordered the "grilled cheese" ( I know you're the only one that will get this).

Oh well you never know..perhaps it was just an off night for food and service the night we were there.

Hope you're doing well.

Renovations still ongoing and apparently have been for years...we saw the blocked off area but actually saw no work going on during our pre-cruise stay.

Our room was so dirty feeling and looking and could see mold in the bathroom (and keep in mind we were upgraded due to our points & status)...We got in late and it was only for one night but I couldn't wait to get out of there. I would opt next time for the Residence or Embassy...their all really right next to each other. Also wasn't impressed with Ruby Tuesdays wish we would have walked a few more steps and gone to the IHOP.

Thank you Ashland for clarifying that for me. I was wondering if the renovations would be done by Oct but sounds like probably not. I don't do dirty or moldy. YUCK!!

We are going with another couple so I will fill them in on this info and see what they want to do.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

Or just get a $25 Uber.

This Embassy Suites does not have an inner courtyard. The rooms are regular hotel rooms (suites) with windows on the outside, not on an inner courtyard.

Thank you for this correction on this specific ES.

Hi friend....I guess I shouldn't have ordered the "grilled cheese" ( I know you're the only one that will get this).... Hope you're doing well.

Bwahahaha! Right? :D:D:D I am hanging in there, thanks.

We've stayed many times at that Country Inn and last year was the end of the road for us. They rooms were filthy and smelly. They are constantly "under construction" and never finished. Breakfast is a complete fiasco. So this year we are trying the Embassy Suites, new and across the street. We booked their cruise package and it is a bit more expensive but it's worth is to have the package with transportation. If it looks like the transportation is iffy, then we'll uber. We've stayed at Embassy Suites in other places and they're pretty standard. We're hoping for a better experience there. We won't go back to Country Inn no matter what.

We've eaten at Ruby Tuesdays and it's OK. I like the ribs so that's what I get. If you like Ihop, it's right next to Ruby Tuesdays.

We're booked at ES prior to our upcoming Canada/NE cruise. Can anyone tell me if there is a place within walking distance to buy a couple bottles of wine to carry on? If so, how far? Thanks!

No there is not. You'd have to cab/uber. Now, depending on whether you're shuttling or cab/uber to the pier, there IS a liquor store at the shopping center adjacent to the port. Your driver MAY be willing to stop-you'd have to ask. Some Uber/Lyft drivers will, others get mad as it's an "extra trip' though not sure. There's a way to add stops in the apps but when I did it the driver got really bent out of shape but this was in a different city.

No there is not. You'd have to cab/uber. Now, depending on whether you're shuttling or cab/uber to the pier, there IS a liquor store at the shopping center adjacent to the port. Your driver MAY be willing to stop-you'd have to ask. Some Uber/Lyft drivers will, others get mad as it's an "extra trip' though not sure. There's a way to add stops in the apps but when I did it the driver got really bent out of shape but this was in a different city.

Thanks! My second option would have been to ask driver to stop. Oh well... we’ll just pack in luggage. Appreciate your reply

• 2 months later...

We'll be arriving a day early pre cruise and staying in Elizabeth, NJ. We have decided after dropping our luggage off at the hotel, we will go to NYC. Our flight gets in EWR around 11am so I'm thinking by the time we get our luggage and go to hotel and are ready...hopefully less than 2 hours. What is the best way? Suggestions are appreciated. Never been to this area before.

Thank you in advance :)

We'll be arriving a day early pre cruise and staying in Elizabeth, NJ. We have decided after dropping our luggage off at the hotel, we will go to NYC. Our flight gets in EWR around 11am so I'm thinking by the time we get our luggage and go to hotel and are ready...hopefully less than 2 hours. What is the best way? Suggestions are appreciated. Never been to this area before.

Thank you in advance :)

Where are you going in NYC first? Where do you think you would be returning from?

You will take the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain Station, which is the place you will connect with the hotel shuttle when you arrive by taking the Airtrain from your terminal to P4. Going to New York you will take the Airtrain from P4 to the Newark Liberty Airport station to connect with NJ Transit. The next step depends on where you are going in Manhattan.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Where are you going in NYC first? Where do you think you would be returning from?

You will take the hotel shuttle back to the P4 Airtrain Station, which is the place you will connect with the hotel shuttle when you arrive by taking the Airtrain from your terminal to P4. Going to New York you will take the Airtrain from P4 to the Newark Liberty Airport station to connect with NJ Transit. The next step depends on where you are going in Manhattan.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

Well the plan is to go to Carmines in Times Square. Not sure where we'll end up tho. We probably won't wonder out to far because we don't have but half a day. Would like to do a pedi cab in Central Park though.

Well the plan is to go to Carmines in Times Square. Not sure where we'll end up tho. We probably won't wonder out to far because we don't have but half a day. Would like to do a pedi cab in Central Park though.

That's basically midtown. You would take NJ Transit from Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station for $13/pp each way. You can walk to Times Square or take the subway 1 stop for $2.75-3.00/pp.

If you go downtown to the 911 Memorial area you take PATH back to Newark Penn Station from the World Trade Center for $2.75/pp and NJ Transit to the airport for $8.50/pp. The NJ Transit link has schedules.

• Like 1