Help us Noobs with public transport NYC and Boston

gracee

We haven’t much experience with public transportation so we need some help getting around.

1. This Wednesday, Oct 3 from Newark Penn Hilton to Central Park.

2. Awesome pastrami sandwich between arriving in The city and before Central Park 😊

3. We will end up at the 9/11 Memorial in the evening and need to get back to Newark Penn Hilton from there.

4. From the port in Boston on Saturday to State Street to pick up the Segway tour. I understand we need to take the Silver Line-is that across from the port? Do we need transfers to the Red Line?

Can we do the same itinerary back to port?

Thank you so much! Your advise is treasured!

The entire Seaport District is one huge construction site, and has been for a few years. I know there is some construction on Drydock Ave and Summer St (close to the terminal, I was just down there a couple weeks ago), but I don't think the buses have been rerouted. What I have seen is that the tunnel used at South Station (a really crazy spaghetti bowl of tunnels getting the buses into the station) had some structural failure and the buses are rerouted to surface stops at the station. This does not affect any pick up at the cruise terminal.

We haven’t much experience with public transportation so we need some help getting around.

1. This Wednesday, Oct 3 from Newark Penn Hilton to Central Park.

2. Awesome pastrami sandwich between arriving in The city and before Central Park 😊

3. We will end up at the 9/11 Memorial in the evening and need to get back to Newark Penn Hilton from there.

4. From the port in Boston on Saturday to State Street to pick up the Segway tour. I understand we need to take the Silver Line-is that across from the port? Do we need transfers to the Red Line?

Can we do the same itinerary back to port?

Thank you so much! Your advise is treasured!

1. Where in Central Park? Two possible routes - NJ Transit to New York Penn Station + subway ($5.25 + $2.75) or PATH to World Trade + subway($2.75 + $2.75). Route depends on where you want to go in "Central Park". It's about 2.5 miles by .5 miles in size.

3. From the 911 Memorial you take PATH at the World Trade Center to Newark Penn Station. $2.75

4. Segway Tours is showing at 199 State St, which is basically at the east end of Faneuil Hall. IMO public transit is a PITA on a Saturday - Silver Line to Red Line(South Station) to Green Line(Park St) to Blue Line(Government Center) to Aquarium Station. Uber or Lyft would be reasonable and much faster. What time do you have to be at Segway?

The cheapest way is to take PATH as mentioned above (buy a 2-trip if returning) to 33rd street, exit to street, walk west one block and find the 1-2-3 line. Go uptown to the 50th street station, exit to 50th street, walk a few steps east to 7th avenue, then north to Ben's Deli, and on again to Central Park and wherever the Segway tour meets. Make sure you have enough time for all this!

I think 138 makes a very important point about where in Central Park you want to go and that will decide the directions.

If you want Central Park on the Eastside. You can walk from PATH 33rd Street to Second Avenue Deli 162 East 33 rd Street. After that walk to corner of Madison Avenue and 33rd and catch any uptown bus. The beginning of Central Park is 59th Street. Get off any block on Madison depending where you want to be and walk one block east to Fifth Ave. You are at the Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cheapest way is to take PATH as mentioned above (buy a 2-trip if returning) to 33rd street, exit to street, walk west one block and find the 1-2-3 line. Go uptown to the 50th street station, exit to 50th street, walk a few steps east to 7th avenue, then north to Ben's Deli, and on again to Central Park and wherever the Segway tour meets. Make sure you have enough time for all this!

The Segway tour is in Boston, not NYC. It's a separate question from the OP.

We still don't know where the OP is headed in Central Park. The deli answers need to wait on the Central Park destination answer. Personally I like Katz's, but that's not going to be a good suggestion for the OP's itinerary.

Tha k you all so much! We are planning on starting at the south end of Central Park, possibly doing a carriage ride. On this particular trip we’re going to stay around Central Park Grand Central Station and then head back to Newark Penn station. Thank you for the deli suggestions. We had thought about going to Katz’s but it’s pretty far away

Tha k you all so much! We are planning on starting at the south end of Central Park, possibly doing a carriage ride. On this particular trip we’re going to stay around Central Park Grand Central Station and then head back to Newark Penn station. Thank you for the deli suggestions. We had thought about going to Katz’s but it’s pretty far away

Two best routes - NJ Transit to NY Penn Station and the 8th Ave E train to 53rd & 7th or 53rd & 5th, or PATH to World Trade and the R or W train to 57th & 7th or 59th & 5th. You can decide which route when you get to Newark Penn. Midday there are only about 3 trains/hour at irregularly spaced intervals whereas PATH runs every 15 minutes.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf