Pre and Post Cruise Nov 10-17 - looking for advice

melbaspark

Hi, we (family of 4) are sailing on Anthem of the Seas out of Cape Liberty Nov 10-17. We arrive mid-afternoon Nov 9, and we fly out the morning of Nov 18, both out of Newark. We are looking to make the absolute most of the half day on Nov 9 pre-cruise, and the full day Nov 17 post cruise (we would get off the ship early to have the whole day).

Sightseeing objectives for the kids are Statue of Liberty (not just a sail by but we want to go to the top) and Central Park. I was thinking we would stay somewhere close to Newark or Cape Liberty on the 9th and maybe can fit the Statue of Liberty in on that day. And then on the 17th, once we get off the ship, head to Manhattan for that day. We have never been there before so I'm really not sure whether it's better to stay near Newark on the 17th and drive/train into Manhattan, or to stay in Manhattan with an early morning drive/train to Newark the next day. Our flight is at 10:30 a.m. And it's an international flight to Toronto so we need to be there early. We'll also have luggage to contend with coming off the ship and ideally would want to drop it off at the hotel before heading off to sight-see.

I'm looking for suggestions on both where to stay and how to travel. The kids are old enough to handle their own luggage and are out of car seats so that's not an issue.

Any and all advice appreciated!

You do not want a car, it will be a hinderance not helpful. You can travel to NYC via New Jersey Transit(trains or bus) or PATH(train).

Jersey City area is more preferable than Newark airport area for your hotel. You will have more selection of restaurants in Jersey City and the spectacular view of lower Manhattan.

Very easy transit into NYC from Jersey City via PATH train. You can visit SOL from Liberty State Park in Jersey City using Statue Cruises https://www.statuecruises.com/#/ Uber or taxi to Liberty State Park. When you disembark, most likely you will be in rush hour along with commuters going into NYC if you use public transit from Cape Liberty. Better to use taxi/uber to your hotel and then public transit into NYC.

Hi, we (family of 4) are sailing on Anthem of the Seas out of Cape Liberty Nov 10-17. We arrive mid-afternoon Nov 9, and we fly out the morning of Nov 18, both out of Newark. We are looking to make the absolute most of the half day on Nov 9 pre-cruise, and the full day Nov 17 post cruise (we would get off the ship early to have the whole day).

Sightseeing objectives for the kids are Statue of Liberty (not just a sail by but we want to go to the top) and Central Park. I was thinking we would stay somewhere close to Newark or Cape Liberty on the 9th and maybe can fit the Statue of Liberty in on that day. And then on the 17th, once we get off the ship, head to Manhattan for that day. We have never been there before so I'm really not sure whether it's better to stay near Newark on the 17th and drive/train into Manhattan, or to stay in Manhattan with an early morning drive/train to Newark the next day. Our flight is at 10:30 a.m. And it's an international flight to Toronto so we need to be there early. We'll also have luggage to contend with coming off the ship and ideally would want to drop it off at the hotel before heading off to sight-see.

I'm looking for suggestions on both where to stay and how to travel. The kids are old enough to handle their own luggage and are out of car seats so that's not an issue.

Any and all advice appreciated!

You don't arrive early enough on Nov 9 to do the SOL. Look at ticket availability for Nov 17 but don't buy until your hotel plans are firmed up.

What is your hotel budget? What are your bed size requirements? Can you do 2 doubles or a king and sofabed? Two Queens can be difficult to find. How old are your children?

I had no idea the crown is would sell out, should have done my research!

@138east my kids are 8 & 11, both girls. I'd prefer 2 queens but now that I'm looking I see that's hard to find and they will probably have to share a sofa bed. I'm thinking we will do the Marriott Residence Inn by the Grove St PATH station in Jersey City... pricey but not as much as the Courtyard. Doubletree is sold out. Trying to stay under $250USD/night but even that is tough. The exchange rate to Canadian dollars isn't helping.

Does anyone know the latest we can board the ship on the 10th? I'm thinking of squeezing in the SOL that morning (but may even be too late to get tix for that). Is that cutting it too close?

@138east my kids are 8 & 11, both girls. I'd prefer 2 queens but now that I'm looking I see that's hard to find and they will probably have to share a sofa bed. I'm thinking we will do the Marriott Residence Inn by the Grove St PATH station in Jersey City... pricey but not as much as the Courtyard. Doubletree is sold out. Trying to stay under $250USD/night but even that is tough. The exchange rate to Canadian dollars isn't helping.

Does anyone know the latest we can board the ship on the 10th? I'm thinking of squeezing in the SOL that morning (but may even be too late to get tix for that). Is that cutting it too close?

Look at Candlewood Suites in Jersey City for Nov 9 - about $200 plus tax for a queen and sofabed. Look closely at the ferry schedule. You would have to Uber to Liberty State Park, Uber back to the hotel to pick up your luggage, and Uber to the ship. It's doable, but time is tight. You'd have to be at the ferry at least 30 minutes ahead to get through security, but you could have several hours out at the SOL. You have to be at Cape Liberty 90 minutes before sailaway. I'll look at your post cruise later.

You can get pedestal tickets for that date, not crown (they sell out months in advance).