Big Apple Train system/subway help

LobsterStalker

We will be flying into Newark for 2 overnights on Oct 14th, so will have the 15th to get in a few sites before departure on 16th on Breakaway. Possibilities we are considering... Manhatten to see the 9/11 Memorial, One World Observatory, Empire State, and Times square . I think we have ruled out statue of Liberty due to how much time it will take and we will be sailing past her on way out of port.

All that being said, I have never been to NY before and really have no idea about the trains/subway systems. I had thought I was locking in a plan to hotel near Penn station Newark, and use that as main hub to get to NY, but have received some negative feedback that that would not be the best option.

I had someone tell me the path from Jersey City into NY was a better option, then use the subway once there, but didn't really explain why and I don't have any knowledge on where to pick it up or how to know what hotels might be walking distance to same...

Any and all help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Fish out of water in the big city

Or should I say Lobster

We will be flying into Newark for 2 overnights on Oct 14th, so will have the 15th to get in a few sites before departure on 16th on Breakaway. Possibilities we are considering... Manhatten to see the 9/11 Memorial, One World Observatory, Empire State, and Times square . I think we have ruled out statue of Liberty due to how much time it will take and we will be sailing past her on way out of port.

All that being said, I have never been to NY before and really have no idea about the trains/subway systems. I had thought I was locking in a plan to hotel near Penn station Newark, and use that as main hub to get to NY, but have received some negative feedback that that would not be the best option.

I had someone tell me the path from Jersey City into NY was a better option, then use the subway once there, but didn't really explain why and I don't have any knowledge on where to pick it up or how to know what hotels might be walking distance to same...

Any and all help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Fish out of water in the big city

Or should I say Lobster

What is your hotel budget? Two people? You're looking at weekdays nights which are more expensive. Recommendations are going to depend on how much money you can spend.

I guess the answer is based on what I have seen so far for options at around $150 US. There really is no upper limit other than keeping in mind the overall spend. If I need to pay an extra $150- $200 for the 2 nights to be closer to the most convenient options for public transportation then maybe I would be better off with the cheaper hotel and go with uber to get to NY instead.

I had priced the Hampton Inn and suites Newark,Harrison Riverwalk at about the $150 mark as It was less than a mile from penn station Newark, hoping that made sense, but then got the contradictory info.

Thoughts?

I am wondering whether I am being steered wrong as the more I look into this the more it looks like I can pick up the path at Penn station Newark as there is a direct run from there to WTC , then figuring out subway system from WTC north to Empire area as well as Times Square seems like it would be not too tricky. ?

Actually, looking a little closer seems there is also a stop at west 33rd {near Empire, and Times square ? }on the same line.

What am I missing ? Am I reading this all wrong ?

Help me out New Yorkers :confused:

Thx.

Colin

I am wondering whether I am being steered wrong as the more I look into this the more it looks like I can pick up the path at Penn station Newark as there is a direct run from there to WTC , then figuring out subway system from WTC north to Empire area as well as Times Square seems like it would be not too tricky. ?

Actually, looking a little closer seems there is also a stop at west 33rd {near Empire, and Times square ? }on the same line.

Thx.

Colin

You are not mistaken concerning getting the PATH. The issue is that some sections of Newark are not recommended, you shouldn’t choose a hotel blindly. Let 138 look for suggestions.

Thx.

Colin

Ugh! Doing a long post for you and lost it!

Newark Penn Station is a major transportation hub. Look at the maps and ask questions.

https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

You are on the right track. I'm not thrilled with tge Hampton Inn in Harrison. Look at the Newark Penn Station Hilton and the Robert Treat. Both have free airport shuttles. Robert Treat has free wifi, free breakfast, and free shuttle to Newark Penn Station (about 6 blocks away). The Hilton is connected to Newark Penn Station by a skywalk.

I've stayed at the Robert Treat and it was just fine. I would stay there again. It's on a side street facing a nice park. Newark is a highly urban area and I would take a cab to the Robert Treat from Newark Penn at night.

You're late booking. The Hilton seems to have two double beds whereas the Robert Treat has a queen.

Post back with any questions.

Edited by 138east

Thanks for the responses

A few questions... You say you are not thrilled with the Hampton. particular reason ? seems to be rated a bit better than Robert Treat. Also if at Robert treat you mentioned getting a cab back at night but the shuttle would be complimentary and run in the evenings as well, yes ?

And lastly looking at the map for the path, it seems to be a pretty convenient option if I am reading it right, but I am wondering If there are any transfers involved on the following routes , or are they direct run?

Penn Station Newark to WTC ... and reverse ?

33rd St. to Penn Sation Newark and reverse ? and also

WTC to 33rd.. and reverse? wondering if the subway makes more sense for this last one ? As it doesn't look like

So I'm thinking what I may try to plan is heading to 33rd from Penn Newark early on the 15th, go do ESB,{ then walk to Times square ?}, then back to 33rd to head to WTC, on path or subway whatever makes sense , Visit the memorial and then maybe if there is enough time left , check out One World Observatory before heading back on the path from WTC back to Penn Newark...though I feel that may be too much to squeeze in so possibly drop OWO...

Please let me know if there are glaring problems with my plan or if I am anywhere near on the right { >> TRACK <<}

Thanks for the responses

A few questions... You say you are not thrilled with the Hampton. particular reason ? seems to be rated a bit better than Robert Treat. Also if at Robert treat you mentioned getting a cab back at night but the shuttle would be complimentary and run in the evenings as well, yes ?

And lastly looking at the map for the path, it seems to be a pretty convenient option if I am reading it right, but I am wondering If there are any transfers involved on the following routes , or are they direct run?

Penn Station Newark to WTC ... and reverse ?

33rd St. to Penn Sation Newark and reverse ? and also

WTC to 33rd.. and reverse? wondering if the subway makes more sense for this last one ? As it doesn't look like

So I'm thinking what I may try to plan is heading to 33rd from Penn Newark early on the 15th, go do ESB,{ then walk to Times square ?}, then back to 33rd to head to WTC, on path or subway whatever makes sense , Visit the memorial and then maybe if there is enough time left , check out One World Observatory before heading back on the path from WTC back to Penn Newark...though I feel that may be too much to squeeze in so possibly drop OWO...

Please let me know if there are glaring problems with my plan or if I am anywhere near on the right { >> TRACK <<}

Newark is a highly industrialized urban area. You are from Nova Scotia. IMO you really don't want to stay off the beaten track in Newark. The Hampton Inn is not close to transportation and you have no business wandering on foot over there. I found the Robert Treat to be a charming older hotel with comfortable updated rooms on a nice block facing a park.

1) The time I stayed at the Robert Treat, I waited quite a while outside Newark Penn Station for the shuttle. If I were to do it again, I would spend a few dollars and just take a cab. It's very close, but I just wouldn't walk it after dark.

2). Newark Penn to WTC - direct run

Newark Penn to 33rd St - transfer at Journal Square

WTC to 33rd - take the NYC subway R or W train

I think it's totally possible to go first to the ESB, walk to Times Square, take NYC subway to 911 Memorial, and do the World Observatory. However, Times Square might be better at night and you might want to consider the reverse trip- 911 Memorial and World Observatory first, then ESB, and Times Square.

Hi have you ruled out the Hilton? If you stayed there you wouldn’t have to worry about getting to and from Newark Penn Station, it is attached by a walkway. Also I wouldn’t do both World Trade Observatory and ESB the same day, it would be redundant. Finally, if you are uncomfortable transferring trains, it’s real easy and Journal Square is very safe, you can take NJ Transit train directly from Newark Penn to NY Penn but it would cost a few dollars more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you are not familiar with PATH and MTA Subways, you may find it challenging to do with luggage. Rush hour would be a major escalation of the challenge. I had given instructions to people traveling with me but they still messed up at the turnstile and could not get themselves and luggage through and had to back and buy another ticket.

PATH tickets and MTA tickets are not interchangeable - they are separate but the same price at $2.75 per ride.

PATH machines also vend a 2-trip ticket. Don't lose it and don't confuse it with your MTA ticket later.

If you are traveling with a group, be aware you cannot buy multiple tickets on one transaction at a vending machine. If you use a credit card, it will probably reject a duplicate second purchase. I recommend cash for buying subway tickets for that reason.

You can buy a ticket and load money on it for multiple rides if you know you will take 2 or more rides.

If you board a bus, you need exact change or a prepurchased ticket. An express bus is higher cost ($4?)

First of all thank you all for the responses. I normally would have all these plans made a month ago but a family situation has arose that has made that impossible , so I'm left scrambling here 'last minute' to put this all together. So thank you very much for your time.

138east- I agree the 2 towers in the same day would be overkill, so we are likely to only do one. I had also been thinking that both Times and ESB would be more spectacular at night.

When it comes to transport to cruise I was planning to UBER , even though obviously more money, seems with luggage would best .

Got2Cruise- when it comes to transfers it is not the safety aspect that concerns me , but rather the possible confusion aspect and ending up on the wrong route. Though that can be part of an adventure , trying to squeeze as much in as we can would not want the time wasted .Direct just seems simpler is all.

Now on another note I explored another option {til 3 AM last night }that seems plausible. Though this would be substantially more costly , I have given thought to the idea of staying in the ESB/Times square area. That would enable us to do Times square the evening we arrive {flight due in at 2PM, UBER to hotel}. Next morning take subway to WTC , and then have plenty of time for ferry to Lady Liberty, return back to hotel area with plenty of time to do ESB that evening .Next morning be a short UBER from cruiseport.

I have one hotel option that seems perfect location for this. The Hotel at Times Square , 466 for 2 nights...

Or I could book a good Hotwire Rate , which guarantees me to be in the Times Square area , for probably sub $400.

Would we be more comfortable in that area, to be walking in the evenings, depending on how far to hotel?... If not UBER still just a click away.

New York sights we'd like to see seem to amazing to not do them right in the short span we have. Would love to see the skyline at night rather than daylight , and same with Times Square... we've only flown over and that is amazing on it's own.

Let me know thoughts...

Thanks again

The Hotel at Times Square looks good. It’s close to 5th Avenue and Rockefeller Center too. If you wanted to do the 9/11 Memorial you can take the subway downtown. Another thing you can do is walk to Central Park it is about 3/4 mile from the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked The Hotel at Times Square for $415 US for 2 nights...

Now that I'm in a more central location i'm feeling I can much more easily work out remaining plans...

Now to finalize my ideas for the big apple, and then I've got a whole week left to figure out plans for each of the 5 stops on the cruise...

My heads gonna explode !

Thanks for the help

Colin

I lived and worked in NYC most of my life . In all that time I never ventured into Newark.I would suggest checking out hotels on the east side of Manhattan in the 50's .It might be a bit more expensive but there are wall to wall restaurants and it is very safe to walk after dark.

Thanks Lenny, See my previous post.. all booked. By 50's are you referring to streets ?

And as far as safety , would anyone here have any reservations walking at night any place between the Times square area and the Empire state Building area. We are hoping to make those both evening adventures to be able to appreciate them after dark.

I'm thinking walking will be fine between my hotel and both spots, but also could easily take UBER if we felt necessary.

Thanks again

Colin

If you have a smart phone and google maps just enable the "transit" option. it will bring up the subway lines and stations. Very easy.

You can hop on the Staten Island ferry from lower Manhattan to/from staten island and get a great view of the SOL over and back. and IT IS FREE. (depending on what time you make the trip, there is a good chance 75% of the people on the boat are doing exactly the same thing.)

So the Staten island Ferry just does a 'drive-by'of the Statue , doesn't actually stop on the island , correct ?

That’s right. If you want to stop and visit the SOL you’ll need to do that through Statue Cruises (statuecruises.com)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks Lenny, See my previous post.. all booked. By 50's are you referring to streets ?

And as far as safety , would anyone here have any reservations walking at night any place between the Times square area and the Empire state Building area. We are hoping to make those both evening adventures to be able to appreciate them after dark.

I'm thinking walking will be fine between my hotel and both spots, but also could easily take UBER if we felt necessary.

Thanks again

Colin

I would have no reservations at all walking from Empire St to Times Square at Night. That area especially is always filled with people. Empire State is near Penn Station so you have folks coming home from the theater or concerts or games at Madison Square Garden. Of course always be aware of your surroundings. If it’s after midnight it gets more desolate which creeps me out but it’s probably safe.

And as far as safety , would anyone here have any reservations walking at night any place between the Times square area and the Empire state Building area.

Definitely no reservations! The entire stretch is bustling at all hours, especially closer to Times Square. The standard "don't look clueless" disclaimer does apply (keep wallet in front pocket, preferably a money belt, don't let people distract you, etc.), but you're not going to be randomly accosted just because. Times Square is crazy and always full of people at all hours - it slows down a tiny bit around 3-4am, but it's never fully dead, and it's always bright!

A big hint most people don't realize: If you're planning to do an observation deck viewing, go to Rockefeller Center instead of the ESB - that way you'll get the view of the ESB in your foreground and it looks amazing!

So just to be clear , would that apply to the whole stretch between say Rockefeller center and ESB , {Hotel is pretty much between the 2} all the way up 5th avenue for example ? And for clarification , when I say evening I am talking 9-10 P.M... If I ever kept my wife out past midnight after a long day in NY , she would turn into a pumpkin.

Thanks

Colin