Using celebrity air

plagmah

Is it worth it to book air through the celebrity air over the airline direct. Are prices good. How much support do you get if your flight is canceled.

I have a good travel insurance policy to protect me.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You just have to do the research...sometimes cruise line airfare is great, particularly if doing a one way to/from Europe. Other times not so good.

Don't buy the "guarantee" they will get you to the ship. They might assist you, but NO ONE can guarantee you get to the ship.

Most likely, the cruise line airfare will book the cheapest seats they can get, to get you there. This absolutely doesn't mean the flights will be the easiest for you.

"Worth" is a judgment only you can make. By the way, all these questions are discussed here daily. Some reading would get you a lot of info.

You just have to do the research...sometimes cruise line airfare is great, particularly if doing a one way to/from Europe. Other times not so good.

Don't buy the "guarantee" they will get you to the ship. They might assist you, but NO ONE can guarantee you get to the ship.

Most likely, the cruise line airfare will book the cheapest seats they can get, to get you there. This absolutely doesn't mean the flights will be the easiest for you.

"Worth" is a judgment only you can make. By the way, all these questions are discussed here daily. Some reading would get you a lot of info.

As a “heavy” cruiser in Florida in the 90’s I know many times our ship departure was held, sometimes for hours, for late flights. Just wanted to know if that still happens.

Cruising has changed since the golden age...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would never expect a cruise line to hold a ship filled with thousands of people for me. But we fly in the day before. Sometimes several days before.

Fuel efficiency is important to ships that might burn a million or more of dollars worth of fuel on a cruise. So waiting "many hours" costs the ship bundles.

In the past we have always checked the cruise air pricing-both for return trips and one ways. We have only used it twice. The first time the discount from what we could obtain on our own was only 5 percent. The second time was a one way ticket home from Barcelona The price was good however the real attraction was the airline/routing.

As a “heavy” cruiser in Florida in the 90’s I know many times our ship departure was held, sometimes for hours, for late flights. Just wanted to know if that still happens.

Sometimes, sometimes not. There are anecdotal stories out there that run the gamut. Sometimes folks are full of praise for how a cruise line handled a flight delay or cancellation. Others swear they'll never book through the cruise line again, because they were of little to no help, or they couldn't even get through to them.

• 2 weeks later...

We did one Celebrity air that was was not the norm. Got off the ship in early Dec. and arranged from cruise air from Miami to Costa Rica in January. We live in Canada. There was no issue with this whatsoever-either with the time lag or the fact that we were obviously not returning home or going to another embarkation port.

Sometimes, sometimes not. There are anecdotal stories out there that run the gamut. Sometimes folks are full of praise for how a cruise line handled a flight delay or cancellation. Others swear they'll never book through the cruise line again, because they were of little to no help, or they couldn't even get through to them.

A host of issue with holding the ship. There are people who are working at the terminal who are now doing overtime. Depending on the port there may be issues with tide. Some ports have bridges the ship can only pass under at low tide (for example). There may also be customs officers that need to be on hand until the ship departs.

There are also times when a delay is needed for other operational reasons and they are able to accommodate late arrivals.

It is always possible and does happen, but I would not plan on it.