Has anyone flown standby out of SJU after a cruise?

Sofac870

Just booked Freedom of the seas for september 29th, it will be our first time cruising out of San Juan and I'm a little worried that the flights might fill up upon our return, has anyone had luck flying standby out of San Juan after a cruise? We won't be in any rush to leave the island but we'd like to leave the same day.

Thanks

I’m honestly asking. Is “Standby” even a thing these days? How does one book a Standby fare?

I know crew members deadheading or flying on their nonrev tickets fly standby but didn’t know that paying passengers could fly in a Standby mode to save additional money.

Just booked Freedom of the seas for september 29th, it will be our first time cruising out of San Juan and I'm a little worried that the flights might fill up upon our return, has anyone had luck flying standby out of San Juan after a cruise? We won't be in any rush to leave the island but we'd like to leave the same day.

Thanks

I think you pick the wrong forum to ask that question. I know what you mean as a Mom of a former TecOp. I don't know which airline you work for or if you're a dependent/spouse/parent of ...but you need to take that question to your airlines NonRev Facebook group if they have one. Most of them do.

Ramona

I guess I should've been more specific. Ramona, I am the employee.

I figured I'd ask the question since I haven't been able to find anyone in my entourage in the same situation. I'll look up these non rev FB groups you are refering to.

Thanks

I guess I should've been more specific. Ramona, I am the employee.

I figured I'd ask the question since I haven't been able to find anyone in my entourage in the same situation. I'll look up these non rev FB groups you are refering to.

Thanks

Airlines that I KNOW have Non-Rev Facebook groups: Delta; American Airlines; United; JetBlue … I'm sure there are others … There may even be an Overall Non-Rev Group. I do know there are airline forums outside of Facebook. You will more than likely need to have on hand when you request to join, they are all closed groups, your employee info, as they usually check the employee only Web site to see if you are an employee.

If you were on Delta's Non-Rev (There are two or three) you would definitely have several answers by now.

Ramona

Ramona

You are asking a question that can not be answered. :) I'll assume, you have nonreved multiple times? You won't know until you are called.

Of course it depends how many flights, how early you can get there, Zed? etc.

Can't your systems allow you to check for loads for the coming week or two? You could be researching current conditions and see if there are any trends you can extrapolate. Also, a subscription to ExpertFlyer or KVS would give you a look at inventories at the GDS level.

Can't your systems allow you to check for loads for the coming week or two? You could be researching current conditions and see if there are any trends you can extrapolate. Also, a subscription to ExpertFlyer or KVS would give you a look at inventories at the GDS level.

In my experience, it's worthless to check much even 24 hours ahead. I've been listed on 5am flights, that the late night before, have some seats, only to be oversold, and revenue standbys a couple hours prior.

Most of the time, I'm only loaded at the very last minute, within ear shot of gate agents, ready to run down jetways.

Only sure thing- is to have known plan A B C D and E. :) Know routes and multiple opportunities available. Don't back yourself into minimal numbers of flights available.

Being the OP "wants" to get out on a cruise day- I'd do as early of a walk off as possible. Those are going to be the most available seats on a cruise day.

In my experience, it's worthless to check much even 24 hours ahead. I've been listed on 5am flights, that the late night before, have some seats, only to be oversold, and revenue standbys a couple hours prior.

Concur that things can change wildly.

My recommendation was to do the basic research, fully knowing that anything can happen. At least then you might have a baseline to make your own expectations. Keeping a watchful eye, several times a day, is a time consuming process. But it does provide the raw data to help you understand a particular city-pair market.

Or, OTOH, if the OP wants the simple and quick answer without legwork: Who Knows??

• 2 months later...

Cruised from San Juan in early March 2018 - we arrived in San Juan one day prior to the cruise to be sure we got there okay - no problems with that. On the return we were bumped from the first flight we tried (to Charlotte) but we did get on the second flight.

Hope this helps.