Expect Delays In NJ Driving To And From The Lincoln Tunnel For Next 2 1/2 Years !

njhorseman

One lane in each direction of 495, the main route in NJ to and from the Lincoln Tunnel, will be closed effective August 17 for the next 2 1/2 years. Of course don't be surprised if the closures last longer than scheduled...they often do.

Cruisers bound to and from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal obviously will be be affected, although the delays may not be that bad on weekend mornings. It will be more important than ever to monitor traffic reports on AM radio stations WCBS 880 and WINS 1010 if you're driving into or out of Manhattan. Alternate routing via the Holland tunnel or George Washington Bridge may be advisable when delays are substantial.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/business/article215760170.html

One lane in each direction of 495, the main route in NJ to and from the Lincoln Tunnel, will be closed effective August 17 for the next 2 1/2 years. Of course don't be surprised if the closures last longer than scheduled...they often do.

Cruisers bound to and from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal obviously will be be affected, although the delays may not be that bad on weekend mornings. It will be more important than ever to monitor traffic reports on AM radio stations WCBS 880 and WINS 1010 if you're driving into or out of Manhattan. Alternate routing via the Holland tunnel or George Washington Bridge may be advisable when delays are substantial.

Sounds like we need to write up "How to sneak into the Holland Tunnel from local Jersey City streets" instructions.

Ok...I’m a total neophyte on the area, so excuse my question. We have a 3:05 flight out of EWR on a Friday after a sailing in/out of the Manhattan Terminal. If the ship comes in late, at what time should I start fretting about not making the flight? We’re coming into LGA, prior to the roadwork, so no issue there...but our depart is after the start date.

Ok...I’m a total neophyte on the area, so excuse my question. We have a 3:05 flight out of EWR on a Friday after a sailing in/out of the Manhattan Terminal. If the ship comes in late, at what time should I start fretting about not making the flight? We’re coming into LGA, prior to the roadwork, so no issue there...but our depart is after the start date.

LGA has it's won construction issues. Bad as well. :) If your stopped in traffic at 11am , start.

I'd definitely want to be out, around noon.

Can't wait for that...my 15 minute daily commute to the Secaucus/JC boarder should triple.

For those going to the Lincoln Tunnel on a weekday...depending on your starting point, cutting through Secaucus and up through Jersey City might be a good option.

LGA has it's won construction issues. Bad as well. :) If your stopped in traffic at 11am , start.

I'd definitely want to be out, around noon.

LOL..LGA traffic issues will impact whether we make a restaurant reservation a few days before embarkation :). Flight arrives 5:45 pm. I was hoping for a 8:30 at a Midtown (from a midtown hotel).

Thanks for the worry factor times going into EWR, hopefully no rough seas delaying the ship.

While this is good information, keep in mind that NY/NJ seem to have an endless amount of construction/congestion. Traveling on city streets and the subway to include NJ transit and Port Autority has become increasingly difficult due to poor leadership from local politicians(DeBlasio, Cuomo, Christie). Do your research and give yourself enough time before and after your cruise.

Tunnel traffic is already awful, even coming from NYC theater at 10pm.

Thanks to everyone here for the head’s up.

So if we’ll be driving into NJ on a weekday morning (heading for the Turnpike south) but after rush hour, and would normally take the Lincoln Tunnel, should we now take the Holland?

Thanks to everyone here for the head’s up.

So if we’ll be driving into NJ on a weekday morning (heading for the Turnpike south) but after rush hour, and would normally take the Lincoln Tunnel, should we now take the Holland?

I would listen to the traffic reports on 880 WCBS and 1010 WINS when you're ready to start your trip. Even with the construction the Lincoln Tunnel could be faster if there's a problem with the Holland and the roads leading to and from it. I've only done it once, but I wouldn't rule out using the GWB if traffic is awful at the tunnels. Using the GWB will add miles to your trip but could be faster.

I would listen to the traffic reports on 880 WCBS and 1010 WINS when you're ready to start your trip. Even with the construction the Lincoln Tunnel could be faster if there's a problem with the Holland and the roads leading to and from it. I've only done it once, but I wouldn't rule out using the GWB if traffic is awful at the tunnels. Using the GWB will add miles to your trip but could be faster.

Definitely consider the GWB as an alternative.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you give more information about parking in Jersey City and taking the ferry.

Can we take suitcases onto the ferry? Will there be a problem getting tickets on weekdays about 9:00am? Where is the ferry dock in relation to the cruiseport?

You don't want to take a ferry from Jersey City. The correct ferry terminal is Port Imperial in Weehawken. There is a substantial parking garage there and you can take the ferry to the 39th St. ferry terminal in Manhattan, which is 9 blocks...about a half mile...south of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There's no problem getting tickets for the ferry or with taking luggage. Here's the web page for this ferry terminal: http://nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx .

The major problem right now with getting to this ferry terminal is that from many areas the direct route to the terminal involves using the same highway, 495, that will have the lanes closures for the next 2 1/2 years. The website does give alternate directions for those coming from certain directions that avoid 495 .

Can you give more information about parking in Jersey City and taking the ferry.

Can we take suitcases onto the ferry? Will there be a problem getting tickets on weekdays about 9:00am? Where is the ferry dock in relation to the cruiseport?

You don't want to take a ferry from Jersey City. The correct ferry terminal is Port Imperial in Weehawken. There is a substantial parking garage there and you can take the ferry to the 39th St. ferry terminal in Manhattan, which is 9 blocks...about a half mile...south of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. There's no problem getting tickets for the ferry or with taking luggage. Here's the web page for this ferry terminal: http://nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx .

The major problem right now with getting to this ferry terminal is that from many areas the direct route to the terminal involves using the same highway, 495, that will have the lanes closures for the next 2 1/2 years. The website does give alternate directions for those coming from certain directions that avoid 495 .

That's actually not at all correct. The Paulus Hook Ferry Terminal in Jersey City will get you to the 39th Street Ferry Terminal just as well as the Port Imperial. It's actually CLOSER to Manhattan than Port Imperial --and-- you don't need to deal with traffic around the 495. As a former JC resident, I've taken that ferry many, many times into Manhattan with no issue. It's a shorter ride than the one from Port Imperial. You can find their weekend schedule here: http://www.nywaterway.com/PaulusHookRoute.aspx

As for parking in JC, the Edison Fast parking lot at 155 Montgomery Street allows multiple-day parking and is only a few blocks from the Paulus Hook ferry terminal. It's very easy to drop everyone off at the ferry terminal, drive up to the lot and leave the car and walk back to the ferry terminal (about 12 minutes). You can find info on the parking lot here: https://www.parkfast.com/jersey-city-parking

We are staying the night before our cruise at the Residence Inn in JC, and will leave the car in the lot that night (it's a 24 hr lot). The morning of the cruise we'll simply take a cab to the ferry terminal.

Edited by BigMike2018
  • Like 1

That's actually not at all correct. The Paulus Hook Ferry Terminal in Jersey City will get you to the 39th Street Ferry Terminal just as well as the Port Imperial. It's actually CLOSER to Manhattan than Port Imperial --and-- you don't need to deal with traffic around the 495. As a former JC resident, I've taken that ferry many, many times into Manhattan with no issue. It's a shorter ride than the one from Port Imperial. You can find their weekend schedule here: http://www.nywaterway.com/PaulusHookRoute.aspx

As for parking in JC, the Edison Fast parking lot at 155 Montgomery Street allows multiple-day parking and is only a few blocks from the Paulus Hook ferry terminal. It's very easy to drop everyone off at the ferry terminal, drive up to the lot and leave the car and walk back to the ferry terminal (about 12 minutes). You can find info on the parking lot here: https://www.parkfast.com/jersey-city-parking

We are staying the night before our cruise at the Residence Inn in JC, and will leave the car in the lot that night (it's a 24 hr lot). The morning of the cruise we'll simply take a cab to the ferry terminal.

The scheduled travel time for the Port Imperial ferry to W. 39th St. terminal is 8 minutes for all departures. The scheduled travel time for the Paulus Hook ferry to W. 39th St. is 8 minutes for some departures and 13 minutes for others. Please explain how the Paulus Hook terminal could be closer to W. 39th St. than the Port Imperial terminal if the travel time is at best the same ?

The main reason for recommending Port Imperial is because of the parking right on the terminal grounds, not blocks away (maybe a 1/2 mile?) in the middle of Jersey City. How is being blocks away from a ferry terminal better than parking right at a ferry terminal ?

Leaving from Jersey City might work for you because you're staying at a hotel in Jersey City, but the poster whose question we're answering didn't say they're staying in a hotel anywhere the night before their cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

Important that this thread has been posted as a number of people heading to their cruise leaving from Manhattan may not be aware of this mess, it is projected to continue for two years. The George Washington bridge and Holland tunnel are the other options which will get an increase in traffic.

The scheduled travel time for the Port Imperial ferry to W. 39th St. terminal is 8 minutes for all departures. The scheduled travel time for the Paulus Hook ferry to W. 39th St. is 8 minutes for some departures and 13 minutes for others. Please explain how the Paulus Hook terminal could be closer to W. 39th St. than the Port Imperial terminal if the travel time is at best the same ?

Hey whatever works. If you wanna deal with the traffic into Port Imperial...knock yourself out...not my problem. Like I said, I find JC much more convenient and less stressful than going anywhere near 495 and the Lincoln.

Dear njhorseman,

On the NJ Turnpike , you amy want to warn others about no acess now coming out from Town.

Dear njhorseman,

On the NJ Turnpike , you amy want to warn others about no acess now coming out from Town.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. Nothing in this project eliminates access to the NJ Turnpike from 495 or from the NJ Turnpike to 495. One lane of 495 in each direction will be closed and there are a couple of exit or entrance ramps on 495 will be closed as pictured here: https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/rt495/detours.shtm , but the NJ Turnpike exit and entrance will be open.

• 2 weeks later...

We are driving from the south up the turnpike and have reservations in Secaucus the night prior to our cruise. Sailing 9/30 and our first sailing out of Manhattan. Wondering how bad the traffic is on Sunday getting in and out of Manhattan through the Lincoln Tunnel with this construction....should I think about alternative routes???