Help! With party food

Thank you everyone, planning on meat pies and pavlova. Will have to research what some of the others are. What is a local beer I might be able to find in the states? This will be fun!

VB and 4XXXX Gold also Fosters is brewed under license in Fort Worth Texas by the Oil Can Brewing Co.clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

What is a local beer I might be able to find in the states?
VB and XXXX Gold also Fosters is brewed under license in Fort Worth Texas by the Oil Can Brewing Co.
Yes, but I think that Missouri travel girl was looking for stuff that might be called beer. ;)

Thanks everyone! I have researched meat pies, sausage rolls, lamingtons and pavlova. Going to make all of them, and need a couple of sides. Looking forward to enjoying these foods with my fellow travelers next week. Not really sure what short crust is for the meat pies, one recipe I saw it was made with lard melted in water?

Thanks everyone! I have researched meat pies, sausage rolls, lamingtons and pavlova. Going to make all of them, and need a couple of sides. Looking forward to enjoying these foods with my fellow travelers next week. Not really sure what short crust is for the meat pies, one recipe I saw it was made with lard melted in water?

I lived in NZ for a year and have been back several times. Next trip Feb 2019. Here's a link to some recipes https://edmondscooking.co.nz/recipes/

Short crust is like our Pillsbury pie crusts. If it were me I'd definitely use that as a shortcut!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are doing meat pies there are two traditional sides - pie, pea, pud (pie, green peas and mashed potato) which is quite english but the true down under side is french fries - pull the lid off the pie and dip the frys into the filling.

The traditional side for sausage rolls is tomato sauce (ketchup) and they are more of a snack so no real traditional sides. However when I give them to the kids i tend to cut up some fresh tomatoes as it adds a nice balance to cut through the fattiness.

I hope you enjoy your creating - the link to the edmonds cookbook is great, it is the best selling book in NZ and traditionally given as a gift to your children when they leave home. Pretty much every house has a copy of it!

You could have salads as sides. You could have a traditional salad (tomato, lettuce, cucumber, red onion) and a Greek salad.

Apple pie crust will work fine.

Sides.???

Pie, sauce. Mushy peas and mashed spud if you must.

Sausage rolls, sauce.

Lamington, Cream.

Pavlova, fruit, cream ice cream.

Now common sides at other parties will include potato salad, coleslaw, tossed salad, but that’s more for with a BBQ or cold meat (ham, chicken etc)

Thank you all so very much! I'm so excited to try these dishes on Sunday. I actually found some packaged Tim Tams today. I'll let you know how it goes!

mmmmmmm tim tams....now Im hungry...I wonder which flavour they were, my favourite are the triple chocolate ones...

Well, the party was great! They loved the food! Meat pies and sausage rolls were very good, I used a combo of puff and regular pastry. I made Lamingtons and they were a hit. Did some grilled sausages as well. They loved the Tim tams. Thanks to you all that gave me the suggestions, now I can't wait to try the real thing in October.